[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starting on Integrals
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: images.png (3 KB, 239x210) Image search: [Google]
images.png
3 KB, 239x210
So ye... I am enthusiastic 11th grade student who wants to learn integrals for personal reasons. What other aspects do I need to know before starting?
>>
>>7802461
Lol, enthusiastic. Well, if you're ahead of your peers then I suppose I understand your current opinion on your status. Anyway, if you know what a derivative is and don't want the theory, then you're fine. If you want the theory, you should probably understand some set theory, a very small bit of topology, and limits.
>>
start here for some background

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_integral
>>
Read Calculus by Apostol.
You need no previous math knowledge.
>>
>>7802471
As of the limits of my I do want to learn something more advanced. I do appreciate assistance.
>>
>>7802479
That sentence doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>7802479
As in the words of the virgin Mary, come again?
>>
>>7802461
Take calculus. Thats what I did in 11th grade.
>>
File: 9781493912766.jpg (31 KB, 372x400) Image search: [Google]
9781493912766.jpg
31 KB, 372x400
What is a single-variable analog of Marsden/Tromba's textbook? Stewart or there is something "stronger" (but not Spivak, Apostol or Courant)?
Anyway, has anybody read pic related?
>>
Step 1. Get stewart calculus.

Step 2. Read, take notes, practice, understand.

Step 3. Get a more proof based book and study that, or you could do this right at the beginning but this depends on your skill and what you have learned so far.
>>
>>7802567
"A First Course in Calculus" by Serge Lang
>>
I taught myself basically all of calc until infinite series in 11th grade by just watching khan academy and OCW videos. Just do that shit, find some practice problems online, and you'll be fine.
>>
>>7802647
I also agree, Stewart Calc is the best choice. That's how I learned. The writing is a bit dense but it covers everything.
>>
>>7802461
precalculus
derivatives
algebra (not just the easy stuff)
>>
>>7802461
All you really _need_ to understand the definition of an integral and how to evaluate them is a bit of high school algebra.

If you want to use them for anything much you'll need to be comfortable with trig and also know what a derivative* is.

*doing derivatives before integrals isn't strictly necessary, if you don't want to for some reason; some books (like Courant) develop integrals first.
It's just standard practice nowadays to teach differentiation before integration.
>>
>>7803379
I remember I fell in love with Stewarts Multivariable calculus. So pretty interesting problems in that book
>>
>>7802461
Integral of the Circle's length is half the Disc's Air:
Circle length = Pi.D
Air of the disc = 1/4.Pi.D2
(like in the relation ax^n -> anx^(n-1))

[spoiler]That little thing blew my mind when I was a kid... cant remember exactly why btw.[/spoiler]
>>
>>7802461
>I am enthusiastic 11th grade student

UNDERAGEB&
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.