[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is science and physics becoming lazier? It seems that way anymore,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
Is science and physics becoming lazier?

It seems that way anymore, with concepts like dark matter/dark energy and string theory.

They just seem like attempts at plugging holes in formulas because scientists don't have answers yet. So, they act like these theories are true, and books are written about these ideas as if they're facts and journals treat these ideas as if they're real.

I noticed this with the planet 9 hypothesis in the news. Everyone is acting like there is a ninth planet out there, but it just seems like they were too lazy to explain crap they don't have an answer for. It may also be that they just want to seem relevant so they concoct some crap to get their names in the news.
>>
these plugging holes, are how the real patches get started on

you are right, we dont know what the fuck we are doing, our models are not strong enough

feel free to do better. oh wait, you cant even plug holes because youre retarded armchair scientist undergrad
>>
>>7801843
>our models are not strong enough

You mean our computation power is not strong enough. The sheer complexity of "real life" models makes numerical computation ridiculously time consuming and difficult, so we HAVE to stick with simple models for the time being.
>>
>>7801876
I think op is talking about models made from little /poor data.

No one says that the 9th planet (if thats what it is) is figured out . and any actual scientist will tell you that our current knowledge of anything past the moon that we havmt physically probed and studied is rough oversimplification s at best .

I mean we live on a planet that we know next to nothing (relatively) about.

Its not lazyness people just make hypotheses and try to explain shit .
>>
>>7801843
Is science and physics becoming lazier?

It seems that way anymore, with concepts like luminiferous aether, and mechanistic universe.

They just seem like attempts at plugging holes in formulas because scientists don't have answers yet. So, they act like these theories are true, and books are written about these ideas as if they're facts and journals treat these ideas as if they're real.
>>
>>7801911
I noticed this with the planet x hypothesis in the papers. Everyone is acting like there is a ninth planet out there, but it just seems like they were too lazy to explain crap they don't have an answer for. It may also be that they just want to seem relevant so they concoct some crap to get their names in the news
>>
File: 1450122310563.png (78 KB, 334x300) Image search: [Google]
1450122310563.png
78 KB, 334x300
>>7801915
>missing the point of the post this hard
>>
The problem isn't science being lazy, its the way media and pop-sci have to sensationalize everything in order for anyone to give a shit.

It's all about the headlines, and "scientists discover 9th planet" sounds way more enticing than "scientists think there may be another planet but aren't sure"
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.