[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Neural Implants
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: deus ex.jpg (149 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
deus ex.jpg
149 KB, 1000x750
How close do you think we are to having neural implants available for the general public? Even just simple bionic eyes that overlay heads up displays over your normal vision.

Kurzweil says by the 2030s, but he might be a little optimistic even though he's been correct on a lot of things before.

What about you, /sci/? Would you go for one of these expensive surgeries to get an implant if it could give you eidetic memory or something similarly powerful?
>>
Who knows? I doubt anyone on /sci/ is working on the kind of nanotech advanced enough to give a definitive answer, so everything is just conjecture.
>>
Man, you are fucking stupid if you want Neural implants. What of someone hacks into them, or the government knows exactly what you are thinking at all times. Fucking scary man. And what if it short circuits or overheats and starts frying your brain (literally).

It's exactly like 1984.
>>
>>7801950
Almost every technology has the potential to be used for bad

If we all thought like you we would still be in the stone age
>>
>>7801950
>What of someone hacks into them
Neural implants are already in use for certain illnesses. And not all devices have to be on-line.
>>
>>7801641
Of course. I'd definitely want a bionic eye.
>>
File: mah drills.jpg (47 KB, 344x472) Image search: [Google]
mah drills.jpg
47 KB, 344x472
>Kurzweil
>>
>>7802478
>I'd definitely want a bionic eye.
Why? They exist already but resolution is lousy. BBC World News did an article on this the other week so it is pretty mainstream in terms of tech level.
>>
>>7801950
Simple
Don't be an autist and keep it out of the internet of things
>>
>>7801641
I like sci-fi as much as anybody but I don't really see the practicality of it.

Installing devices in your body is kinda dumb if you don't need to. Your immune system will constantly try to reject it, it'd have to be removed to be repaired or replaced if it breaks down and it seems like it'd be really itchy or annoying.

Devices like google glasses can be worn, they don't need to be installed in your skull, and what's the point? So you can have pop-up ads holographically superimposed over every fast food joint in your field of vision?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.