[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who else /waiting for graduate admissions/ here I applied to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: sweating pepe.jpg (32 KB, 480x454) Image search: [Google]
sweating pepe.jpg
32 KB, 480x454
who else /waiting for graduate admissions/ here

I applied to 8 chemistry PhDs and im so fucking nervous
>>
>>7800497
>chemistry

lol just become a meth cook xD
>>
>>7800497
>I applied to 8 chemistry PhDs
what is your field of research
>>
>>7800497
Waiting on PhD for econ. Prob gonna have a nervous breakdown before march (decision release)
>>
Got my first rejection today. Feels good to hear anything, honestly. Only 9 more rejections until I am officIally a failure.
>>
>>7800524
organic/organometallic

>>7800528
i just want to cry. i check my email at least 15 times a day, not exaggerating. to make things worse, my girlfriend got accepted to a top 5 school in her field (shes non-science) about 2 hours ago by phone call.
>>
>>7800558
major?
>>
>>7800564
Math, so pretty much all of my eggs are in this basket. And I let my research advisor talk me into applying to schools way better than I have a shot at.
>anon these schools are...okay
>but really you should be aiming for the top 5 or so
Fuck off.
>>
>>7800572
i met a guy before i took my chem gre who was applying to math programs. i hear they're crazy difficult to get into. he had a 93% on his last math gre and was retaking it.
>>
>>7800592
Well shit, I did way worse than that. I didn't think the GRE was really important if I had research and recommendations and grades and whatnot.
>>
>>7800607
i dont know man, its different for all the programs. for something like chem where there are research opportunities everywhere, the research is way more important.
>>
>>7800560
>15 times a day
I literally check it maybe 8 times per class on average
>>
>>7800832
not to mention having gmail open as a tab always
>>
>>7800497
At what colleges?
>>
>>7800497
Doing a masters continuing my undergrad research at the same institution.

PhD is basically assured already even if I don't get into another university.

Feels good that I never had to go through this shit.
>>
>>7800572
m8 don't listen to fucking boomers, getting into top schools was orders easier back in their day. They didn't have to compete against the best of half the fucking planet and their economy wasn't oversaturated as fuck with bachelor qualifications.
>>
>>7800497
How come so many graduates in one post and whenever someone posts something about math most people can't do shit beyond high school algebra.
>>
>>7800880
Because we come here for recreation and not to help you with your homework and/or dumbing down pop-sci for you?
>>
>>7800874
She's like maybe 5 years or so out of grad school.

>>7800880
Because nobody wants to talk about calculus or continue explaining to people why 0.999... = 1.
>>
>>7800874
Looking at the admission situation for hep-th in particular is pretty hilarious. 990 PGRE, 4.0 GPA with many graduate courses in mathematics and physics, and a first-author publication isn't good enough anymore, at least for a school that will give you a chance at a job (read: a top 5-10)
>>
>>7800902
m8 don't listen to fucking gen-X women getting into top schools is orders easier for them than for you. They have it easier than any other identifier on the planet. Everyone sucks their ladycock to get them into the department for that magic 50:50 that keeps the activistards happy and gets you more grants.
>>
>>7800497
I'm waiting to hear back from Princeton and Michigan, already got accepted into a bit shittier institutions so I'm not too worried
>>
Applied for Masters at my alma mater. I'm like 99% sure I'll get accepted, just wondering about whether I get tuition covered.
>>
Just got a phone call telling me that a prof was gonna vouch for my admission. Does this mean im in the clear? This is for the no.1 school in my field (medical robotics). I don't know what to feel /sci/. I dont want to get crushed senpai.
>>
>>7801395
ive had friends in that position for job interviews. If it is applicable to schools, i think it refers to you not having the typical minimum requirements to do coursework, but the professor that is vouching for you claims you know more than enough to do it/ pick up on the material very quickly.
>>
>>7800907
What do you need for hep-th if you don't even care about the ranking of the uni?
>>
File: 1452469353724.jpg (90 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1452469353724.jpg
90 KB, 960x960
>>7800907

>1.5 years or so until I apply to grad school
>want to do theory
>gpa stained by shitty grades in old major that I hated

I don't regret for a second changing to physics, but goddamn am I scared
Why is life so suffering
>>
>>7800930

Yes, this is definitely true--science programs lower the bar severely if you have a vagina. Consider getting one.
>>
>>7801530
If it's a completely different major, they won't care
>>
>>7801530
What major did you have before?
>>
Anyone getting reasons in their rejections? Someone at gradcafe said their letter cited low gre's, but my letter just alluded to being qualified but not a good fit

Also, who actually contacted their top choice before applying?
>>
What exactly are the consequences of your GPA? Like if you take 14 baths on sunday you average 2 baths a day for the week but that doesn't make you clean, so why should shit courses unrelated to your major that drag down your average have such significance? Humanities can really fuck off
>>
>>7801575
All they see is the GPA on your final transcript.

You don't actually believe they look at your full academic record do you?
>>
>>7801994
Don't listen to this retard. I don't know what possesses people who have no clue what they're talking about to come spout shit here.
>>
>>7801994
>They are accepting the people who they will be working on with at least for half a decade

>The won't at least spend a day seeing your full record to make sure they make the correct decision when it comes to accepting you or not.

Are you listening to yourself here?
>>
man i've heard some SHIT from the profs at my uni who are on the admissions boards for grad school

no real consistency in what people look for from applications, you literally might as well be rolling dice
>>
>>7800521
It's scary television shows can get people interested in degrees for the wrong reasons...

I swear Mr. Robot has caused an increase in people enrolling in Computer Science at my college.

There is literally writing on our bathroom walls now referencing the show. Now I definitely don't use my college's open wifi...
>>
File: moar_hank.jpg (24 KB, 208x210) Image search: [Google]
moar_hank.jpg
24 KB, 208x210
>>7802062
I wish the dice were cheaper so I could roll a safe amount.
>>
>>7802033
>>7802045
I take it you've never seen a prof. wade through applications?

The first think they do is throw any out any with a GPA below X. GPA isn't important to most people at all, but there's so many applications you need to filter them out somehow. Beyond meeting the minimum GRE/GPA etc. they don't care at all.

After that they look for keywords on your academic CV for what they actaully need. That is to say if the group needs someone who can program in C/C++ and use Linux while your CV only has experience in experimental lab work it gets thrown out. (If you're an exam babby with no undergrad research experience you also get filtered at this point unless they are desperate).

If there's more than one app. they look for who has the most relevant research experience if any, followed by looking for what upper level courses you took -as long as you passed them it doesn't matter what your GPA is, they need someone with experience in it who can review without having their hand held.

Just think about it, that's exactly what your process would be as well. If you see an app. of an undergrad with a 4.0 in algebraic topology what does that actually mean? Is the kid a genius or is it a grade inflated farce? Course GPAs on your transcript is irrelevant, but the total GPA needs to be high enough to get through the initial filter/minimum, beyond that no one cares.
>>
>>7802071
Speaking as someone who has half their family as professors/on admissions committees, they DEFINITELY look at your full academic record. Remember, they want the best candidates, they don't want someone who inflated their GPA by taking a bunch of 100 level courses. Class choice and grades definitely matter - not your overall GPA. If there's anything they use as a cutoff, it's the GRE. Almost every school has a hard cutoff for that.
>>
File: 1403919486723.jpg (26 KB, 425x396) Image search: [Google]
1403919486723.jpg
26 KB, 425x396
I think the waiting is the worst part of this whole process

I'm applying for chemical engineering at University of Texas and word on the street is that they're going to reject the people that haven't gotten accepted today. Feels bad man, but at least I got a few good ones.
>>
>>7801994
if they're going to reject you there's a strong chance they won't go through all your material (full transcript, every part of the essay, ect...) But, if they're going to accept you, or are considering it, they're at least going to scan through what you took each semester and what classes you dropped grades on. It's also hard to generalize just because admissions processes vary so much.
>>
>>7802147
This. If you're running a computational orgo group, a candidate that got a B in dist. req. wymyns studies is a lot more attractive than the one who got the B in undergrad Qchem and doesn't know any programming languages
>>
I applied to one pharmacy school in my state and have yet to hear back. I was hoping to get an answer before the deadline of other schools but looks like I'll apply to a couple more just to be safe.

Everyone says I'm a shoe in for the school but I'm paranoid. Doesn't help they're sending their decision through USPS mail either.
>>
Still waiting to hear back from two schools for microbiology. I'm stressing nuts.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.