[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WE WUZ COMPUTA SCIENZ N SHIET
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 20100901130453-1_0.jpg (175 KB, 400x350) Image search: [Google]
20100901130453-1_0.jpg
175 KB, 400x350
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp4NkItgf0E

What do you think of a possibility that we're in a computer, or that the universe functions like one as a simulation? Are we really in a matrix?

More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adinkra_symbols_(physics)
>>
>>7798163
I got to UMD, had that guy as a professor. He is brilliant.
>>
>>7798163
I was about to post this, when did he come out with the findings?
>>
Had a black man for my discussion groups in Real Analysis, he was an OK person, made me regain respect for black people
But the niggers in my class are fucking annoying
>>
> ancient quantum meme
autism has is colorblind
>>
>>7798163
>universe is a computer

Option 1:
>The universe is running in one single thread.

Prove that this is bullshit:
Things occur simultaneously. There is no thread where your fundamental particles are updated and then the next ones are. Everything happens at the same, independant of other stuff.

Option 2:
>Everything goes simultaneously because there is a different thread for every single fundamental particle in the entire universe

Prove that this is bullshit: Get a rough estimate of how many single fundamental particles there are in the universe. There is one thread for each, Picture a computer whose core is subdivided in these many threads. Realize that this is literally impossible, even with ridiculous theoretical hardware.

And before some smarty pants come in. I do know that the first option can be fixed by having the computer's update code freeze reality until everything is calculated, unfreeze and then freeze again. But now you are just making assumptions on top of assumptions.

For the second one you could argue that there is a computer is so big and so powerful that it can subdivide its core into these many parts but then I would argue that at this point that no longer qualifies as a computer. That shit would be magic.
>>
File: metatronscube.gif (17 KB, 325x325) Image search: [Google]
metatronscube.gif
17 KB, 325x325
>>7798163

This is literally Jewish mysticism from the Zohar.

>2:16
>The work I am doing is so theoretical...

Stop wasting your time on this bullshit kids. Go learn about tangible physical concepts and make things that are useful.
>>
>>7798263
what does metatrons cube have to do with this?
>>
>>7798263
>This is literally Jewish mysticism from the Zohar.

No it is quite clearly just a graphical notation for supersymmetric representation theory.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0408004v1.pdf
>>
File: 1425335897298.jpg (91 KB, 1297x397) Image search: [Google]
1425335897298.jpg
91 KB, 1297x397
>>
>>7798163
Ultimately it does not matter - our reality is our reality.
>>
>>7798368
>>7798368
This shit is interesting

Somebody elaborate
>>
It is as good an explanation for why our universe exists as any other I've heard from the cosmology crowd...
>>
>>7798431
Those "odds" are made up

Additionally with the cambrian explosion, no, multicellular life actually evolved once in protists and eventually gave rise to plants, animals, and fungi. It didn't need to happen billions of time.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KcPNiworbo

Pretty interesting listen.
>>
>>7798431
Somebody assumed a lot of things that are fundamentally unsupported by evidence, and then drew conclusions from them.
Kinda like faith.
>>
>>7798190
Do you think OP would know anything about brilliance if his subject is "WE WUZ COMPUTA SCIENZ N SHIET"?
>>
>>7798163
His work actually gave an impact to the computer science realm. Not so much with physics. Also publishes and teaches a lot.

Much like Ed Witten he has been bedazzled with M-theory. I don't know why you even need to pick on him whilst they are several notable physicists doing the same thing.
>>
>>7798729
>His work actually gave an impact to the computer science realm.

How? Pretty much every paper he publishes is just on some topic in supersymmetric representation theory.
>>
>>7798455
>multicellular life actually evolved once in protists and eventually gave rise to plants, animals, and fungi

That's incorrect
>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicellular_organism
>complex multicellular organisms evolved in six eukaryotic groups: animals, fungi, brown algae, red algae, green algae, and land plants. It evolved repeatedly for Chloroplastida (green algae and land plants), once or twice for animals, once for brown algae, three times in the fungi (chytrids, ascomycetes and basidiomycetes) and perhaps several times for slime molds, and red algae.
>>
>>7798368
>odds of abiogenesis
This is laughable.
>>
The universe is One Infinite if you want to also call it a computer you can it is all one anyway infinite all is possible blah blah
Computer computer One One bubble sphere one
LAWOFONE.INFO
>>
>>7798228
>There is one thread for each, Picture a computer whose core is subdivided in these many threads. Realize that this is literally impossible, even with ridiculous theoretical hardware.

Wait a minute, your response to someone describing the universe as a computer (possibly from another dimension) is to compare it to our understanding of computers?
>>
>>7798228
Good now try to prove that its not all your imagination... we cant be sure by anything except of our own existence
>>
>>7798163
>What do you think of a possibility
That it's not even a hypothesis, let alone an actual possibility.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.