[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think about this? Is zero a proper number? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: cartoon-number-zero.png (36 KB, 398x500) Image search: [Google]
cartoon-number-zero.png
36 KB, 398x500
What do you think about this? Is zero a proper number?

I've never seen 0 cows. I've noticed an absence at times, but I didn't see some number of cows.

If you are in a basement without cows and say you see a number of cows people will think you're retarded.
>>
This is the logic that kept the western world from figuring out complicated mathematics for centuries.

once zero was 'discovered', the game changed and retards like you were merdered to death
>>
Its a place holder, without which there would be no distinction between 1, 10, or 1000000. We're not about to switch back to roman numerals anytime soon. If it really bothers you so much, you could always move on to base 16 like a computer.
>>
>>7798107
Write 65280 in base 16 without using any zeroes
>>
>>7798037
Is white a color?
>>
You don't need a real-life example for numbers to be numbers.
>>
Are you saying negative numbers or decimals don't exist either?

Are you a Pythagorean?
>>
>>7798121
FFOO
>>
>>7798127
Colors are social constructs
>>
>>7798127
*colour

Fucking colonials
>>
>>7798037
Muh Peano says 0 is a natural number.
>>
>>7798204
Tell Mr. Paeno he is a dumb dumb
>>
>>7798132
>discovers the significance of sqrt(2)
>denies that it's irrational because "irrational numbers don't exist"
>gets proved wrong
>has prover drowned
>>
>>7798220
What's the significance of the number that squared equals 2?
>>
>>7798127
Here's one thing I've always wondered: if each colour is a discrete wavelength, then how do colours add to make other ones?

I know in audio, waveforms of slightly differing frequencies "beat" due to cyclically going in and out of phase, but is this what is happening with light?
>>
>>7798211
He cried. Now his friend Russell wants to beat you up.
>>
>>7798226
Well, I suppose it has more significance today. As in, relating peak and RMS amplitude, the ratio of 2 sides of A4 paper (which is why you can halve it and the 2 pieces have the same proportion - because 1.414:1 = 1:0.707 and 1.414/2 = 1/1.414, etc) and whatnot.

But I'm sure the more educated of the ancients could see that it was a pretty bitching number with lots of fame and fortune ahead of it.

It is a cool number. My favourite one actually. Better than pi.
>>
>>7798226
>>7798242
And, I suppose being the main diagonal of a unit square, etc. I've seen it crop up in other random places though but can't think of any more examples.
>>
numbers arent real either OP
its all an abstraction
>>
>>7798242
>>7798255
>>7798226
By extension, it's both the sine AND cosine of 45 degrees. See? This number keeps on giving!
>>
>>7798280
Or, rather, its reciprocal (or half - same thing) is. Sorry.
>>
File: 1438156843954.jpg (18 KB, 540x376) Image search: [Google]
1438156843954.jpg
18 KB, 540x376
>>7798274
Objects don't real, they are abstractions. The distinction between an object, like a hammer, and non-hammer is a fiction.

Real don't real, real is an abstraction.
>>
>>7798037

0 literally represents an absence of [object]. Why the fuck would someone think you're retarded if you say there's no cows in that basement? Are you wrong? You see 0 cows. They might think you're retarded for stating the obvious, but not because your statement is incorrect. I'm starting to think you're retarded even for thinking that.
>>
>>7798330
I can see what he means though. It's not like people walk into a room and immediately think of the infinitude of things that are not in that room.

But then zero is quite clearly useful.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.