[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How important is university choice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: pepe in field export resize.jpg (319 KB, 1594x897) Image search: [Google]
pepe in field export resize.jpg
319 KB, 1594x897
How important is university choice?
>>
>>7782727
If you don't make it to Harvard, ur a failure
>>
Depends on your major
>>
Try your country's best and most famous for undergrad, and the world's bests for grad.
>>
Depends what you're studying.
>>
>>7782949
Can you be more specific
>>
>>7782727
if you're an amerifat: very
if not: don't go to some completely unknown shit and you're fine.
>>
Many orders of magnitude less important that the choice of major.

>>7783049
I think that even for amerifats it doesn't matter so much.
I mean, a big name like MIT, Caltech etc will (almost unironically) give you 300k starting, but a choice between smaller unis isn't that important.
>>
>>7782727
Undergrad, not important.
Masters, much more important.
>>
>>7783060
What about Berkeley?
>>
>>7783078
are you fucking kidding me?
>>
>>7782727

Very important believe me a masters in history from a top 50 world uni does more than a masters in Physics from a local community college.
>>
>>7782727
Considering that, in the USA at least, 99% of colleges/universities are nothing more than tuition farms, I believe choosing the correct one is of paramount importance, should you want a degree and actual education that will do you any good at all in life.

Given that, you should probably put yourself on a very hard regiment of research and gain experience in the fields you will be working in. Don't rely on the education system to do that for you.
>>
>>7783092
>>7783078
Berkley is top tier in terms of academics/rigour but for some reason doesn't have as good of a reputation as MIT, Caltech, etc. despite them only marginally beating it at STEM.
>>
For engineering it doesn't matter what university you go to since most schools are accredited. I don't know about other majors. I know law is really competitive though
>>
>>7783628
This is not true. Better schools will give you a better starting salary and an opportunity to get into higher ranked grad program.
>>
>>7782727
It's the old "not what you know but who you know" a well known school will give you more opportunities
>>
>>7782942
For what purpose.
>>
>>7783650
My soul was crushed when I found out that's actually how the world works.
>>
>>7783643
And better companies hire from better universities more.
>>
>>7783628

Accreditation means close to jack shit in terms of standards. It is an employer's stamp of approval, not an intellectual's. Do you think the accreditors look at (using this small example) MIT's linear algebra course and Tuition Farm's linear algebra course and says "Hmmm, MIT's course talks more about eigenvectors and eigenmatrices. I'll definitely talk about this on my report!"

NOPE
>>
>>7783177
Berkeley beats Caltech for almost every form of STEM field- Math, Engineering, Physics, CS.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.