[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's have an algebraic topology thread. Yesterday I learned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1428564611246.gif (1 MB, 250x213) Image search: [Google]
1428564611246.gif
1 MB, 250x213
Let's have an algebraic topology thread.

Yesterday I learned about Eilenberg-MacLane spaces. That is for a group G and a natural number n you can construct a topological space K(G,n) such that G is the n-th homotopy group and all other homotopy groups are trivial.

Can I get a similar result if I want more homotopy groups to be non-trivial and to equal other previously specified groups? For example if I have a set of groups (Gi) with i in some finite or countably infinite index set, can I find a space where the i-th homotopy group is Gi for all i? Or is there some obstruction making such a space impossible?
>>
Maybe there is a glueing of the K(Gi,nj)'s which does this, I'd ask on SE
>>
>>7767928
I know category theory and need to learn some basic algebraic topology for a homotopy type theory course. What's a good introductory resource?
>>
>>7768076
OP here. I like Tom Dieck's "Algebraic Topology" and Davis & Kirk's "Lecture Notes in Algebraic Topology". Bredon's "Topology and Geometry" also contains many chapters on algebraic topology, but I only briefly looked into that book.
>>
>>7767928
What you're looking for is called a product.
>>
>>7768076
Hatcher is the standard reference. His book is certainly the most well written and provides a lot of geometric intuition. On the down side he avoids using category theory as much as he can, but if you'll be taking a homotopy theory class then it's no loss.
>>
>>7770028
K(G,n) ^ K(G,m) is m+n-1-connected (first nontrivial homotopy group is the n+m th), where ^ is the smash product.
>>
>>7770095
Anyway OP, you can construct your space by playing with bouquets of spheres, similar to the standard CW complex construction of the K(G,n).
If you take a sphere for each generator of G (m of them, say), you can form K(G,n) by taking the wedge sum of the spheres, giving you [math]\bigvee^{m} S^{n}[/math], using attaching maps to impose relations, then adding cells in higher dimension to kill the higher homotopy.
Also, look up the Borel construction.
>>
>>7770095
Wrong product, just use the cartesian one.
>>
>>7770167
Thanks bro.

>>7770172
Interesting. I'm not sure though whether the higher homotopy groups (n>1) still satisfy pi_n(XxY) = pi_n(X) x pi_n(Y). Do they?
>>
>>7770263
Yes, they do. Just apply the universal property for products to the relevant hom space and then look at path components on both sides of the homeomorphism.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.