[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Physics Major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 7
File: 1442070864069.jpg (880 KB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
1442070864069.jpg
880 KB, 2880x1800
Any physics major here? What's your experience studying physics?
>>
>>7767598
Good. It's also nice that we have a good relationship with the engineering department here at my uni.

After every stressful test I go to their faculty to catch some tight boipussy.
>>
I'm really interested in
1) What's the most difficult class you had to take?
2) What was your final year project?
3) What did you do after getting your degree?
4) Any regrets?
>>
>>7767601
Are you currently studying or have you graduated?
>>
>>7767604
>Any regrets?

Oh boy. Any? I'd ask 'How many?'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304096/Graduate-physics-PhD-31-fell-death-block-flats-taking-job-centre-qualified-for.html

>An academic jumped off scaffolding to his death when he was only able to find a job in a call centre

>Dr Philip Elliott, 31, who had recently completed a PhD in physics
>>
As for me I'm currently 2nd Year physics student. The first time I told my parents I want to study physics they were shocked. They tried to talk me out of it. They said it's hard to find a job and it's very difficult. But I didn't really care too much all of that. I really REALLY wanted to get a physics degree.
>>
>>7767617

B-b-but having a physics doctorate means you're smart.
>>
>>7767617
I've heard a lot of stories like this. But I don't really care too much if I don't get a job using my physics degree. Because I'm planning to study for an engineering degree after.
>>
>>7767624
>I'm planning to study for an engineering degree after

If you don't care about getting a job in physics why don't you just study a physics heavy engineering (like nuclear) and then read on whatever your engineering degree is missing on your own.

And hear me out, I'm not one of those engineer masterrace faggots. I myself am a math major but I don't think you have thought this one through anon.
>>
>>7767626
Because I want a physics degree. There's no other reason than that. I have a full scholarship. So money is not an issue.
>>
>>7767634
>There's no other reason than that.

Sorry but you are stupid. You are very stupid. You are fucking retarded, actually.

>So money is not an issue.

But time is you fucking braindead shitstain. Do you really want to spend 4 years in university to then just go the fuck back in and start all over again?

This wouldn't be a problem if you actually wanted to work in physics so that your 4 years would mean something but no. You are just retarded.

You must be one of those faggots who thinks people go to university for 'prestige'. Well, let me tell you something. I have a trophy wife, drive german vehicles and eat 20 dollar salads for breakfast, that's my prestige.
>>
current physics 2nd year here, exams in 10 days so i'm pretty deep into self-hatred, hold me /sci/

>What's the most difficult class you had to take?
so far it's Advanced Dynamics from semester 2 (taught by a crazy greek theoretical physicist with very high standards)
>Any regrets?
Right now? Not picking art or fashion or something.
>>
>>7767639
I actually like spending time in university. 2 years felt like a breeze for me. I feel a little bit sad that I have 2 more years to go. I want my physics degree for my own satisfaction not for prestige(?).
>>
>>7767601
You know, when I saw this thread go up I was just about to >inb4 enigneering gets mentioned within the first 5 posts. Turns out the very first reply.

Why are you physicsfaggots so insecure? You earn less money, ces't la view. Stop being so fucking obsessed with it.
>>
>>7767639
>I have a trophy wife, drive germa

I'm sure your 200+ lbs wife is shaped like a trophy.
>>
>>7767640
Advanced dynamics? I haven't started that class yet. Currently hardest for me is Mathematical Method in Physical Sciences. The subject is not too hard but our lecturer is young so she doesn't know what she's doing most of the time.
>>
>>7767645
> I want my physics degree for my own satisfaction

Do you realize this is literally the kind of shit a literal autist would say?

You know the kind? The kids with autism who are naturally gifted in mathematics and science so they get a PhD math tutor hired since age 3 to teach them Multivariable calculus at age 8 and overwork them everyday. To the point that the kid's only experience in life is learning mathematics. And then, when they go to college what are they going to study? Mathematics of course because thats the only thing they've seen. And they are autistic so they don't know about social interactions or the job market or about jobs at all so if you were to ask them why are they getting the degree in mathematics they would say 'for my own satisfaction'.

Are you, and I don't mean this to insult you, autistic?

I know that to you I may seem pushy but believe me, I'm giving you life saving advice. Don't go 4 years into STEM 'just for it'. You don't realize the kind of work you will do and if you were to do it for no promise of success at the end of it then what is the point.
>>
>>7767648
>newfag detected

I am referencing a videos series that became a /sci/ meme titled 'So you want a PhD in Pure Mathematics'.

Here, a retarded young student like OP asks his professor for a recommendation so that he could apply to a 'prestigious college'. There, the professor explains that if he goes to those colleges he will come out with no personality and later kill himself and he says that if he wants prestige he should instead work to earn big money and with big money will come his own prestige. He explains this by saying how he went to a really shitty college, got his PhD in math, did a couple of publications and is now earning six figures and his prestige comes from his money.
>>
>>7767649
what is this Boas meme? i don't understand
>>
File: 1445786638631.png (91 KB, 1024x1326) Image search: [Google]
1445786638631.png
91 KB, 1024x1326
>>7767650
I think I hit a nerve on you.
>>
>>7767617
>Reading university
Nice meme school
>>
>>7767656
ranked within the top 25.
>>
>>7767626
The other guy is right you are pretty fucking stupid.

>muh full scholarship
Most of us had those, it's the most irrelevant thing ever, university tuition is pennies compared to your living costs and earning potential. Just think logically for a second or two.

If you want an engineering career anyway, you should've done an engineering bachelors since that is the only degree that matters for accreditation and it gives you instant recognition and haggling power in everything you do (including academia), then self-study physics or do grad-school, or when you get bored you could've earned a full engineering salary in industry while studying what you want in your spare time and even getting your grad degree paid by your company.

You're doing literally the worst possible path of all sequences and I'm certain you are doing it because of something naively stupid like internet or sitcom memes. Your family thinks you're retarded for doing a physics BSc for a good reason and it's not for the reasons you think.

The only people who should be doing a pure science degree are those who have proven aptitude (by which I don't mean getting just good grades which is a continent away from having proven aptitude that you would be good enough to get a job as a researcher one day) and are planning are career in physics PhD -> research.
>>
File: 1450400098551.jpg (21 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1450400098551.jpg
21 KB, 400x388
>>7767659
Okay anon I will change all my plans because of you. Thank you for showing me the light.
>>
>>7767645
>I want my physics degree for my own satisfaction not for prestige(?).
I want to waste society's and my family's resources and money to relax and avoid contributing to the economy.

Do you understand that that is not what universities are intended for? You're a cunt. You're taking someone's place who has an express purpose in wanting to be there for his/her career.
>>
>>7767634
there's literally "engineering physics" degrees .. I think you're being a little irrational but it's your money not mine so w.e
>>
>>7767653
what?
>>
>>7767653
Do people really think Boas's book is that bad? I agree it's a bit convoluted, but it's more comprehensive than most basic calc. texts for that level.
>>
>>7767663

>changes his life based on what someone said on an Indian textiles discussion forum

You were never going to make it, lad.
>>
>>7767634

Why don't you just get an engineering degree and then study an entire physics curriculum in your own time somewhere down the line after you're employed?
>>
>>7767652
It's also where the triple integral meme is from. That was a great video.

Also the prof. in the video went to a top-tier college, but explained that academia wasn't oversaturated as fuck back in his day.
>>
>>7767663
Don't go into engineering, you won't be successful in an engineering career you are way too autistic.

However, your vague idea of what you're currently doing is beyond retarded. It's time to grow up and stop imagining that it will end well and someone will pay you to solve undergrad physics problems all day.

Pick up some IT certs and finish your physics degree, if you don't become some professors golden boy or don't get into grad-school at all then start working in software development you'll probably have six in your 30s if you have any talent.
>>
>>7767675
>Also the prof. in the video went to a top-tier college

I don't think its the same one I'm talking about. It's the one episode where the professor is not the bald old guy.

The guy who got a bachelors and masters in mathematics because of a bet and then went on to get a PhD out of spite.
>>
>>7767684
Ah, I have not seen that one yet.
>>
>>7767674
I started university at 16 so I have time to study for 2 degrees. My scholarship is different from scholarships in the US. It lasts as long as I'm still studying. My plans after getting my physics degree is getting an engineering degree.
>>
>>7767688
This is so retarded.

Why not double major?
>>
>>7767688
> It lasts as long as I'm still studying

>This autistic faggot actually believes that

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is just something they tell you because they assume you are not retarded.

Please bring a camera with you and record the time where you go the institution who gave you the scholarship and ask them to fund another fucking undergrad degree.

Upload the footage of you being spat in the fucking mouth just before everyone in the office burst out laughing at your retarded face.

PLEASE, I BEG YOU.
>>
>>7767690
Honestly because I like the slow pace.
>>
>>7767696
Makes sense.

You have already proven yourself to be slow in the head.

And as the other guy said, have fun asking your sponsor to fund another undergrad degree. I'd also like to see that video btw.
>>
>>7767699
There is no need for me to as them to find another undergrad degree. As I said my scholarship is not like in the US.
>>
>>7767654
Kill yourself.
>>
>>7767717
So you can keep spending their money and they won't even contact you or care about it?

Damn, that's a good institution you are making up in your mind. Where do I sign?

Anyways, you are either trolling or literally autistic to the point that you don't understand that other people care about their money, enough to tell you to fuck off and cut all of their ties with you if they believe you are being irresponsible.

Or by scholarship you could mean 'My parents are rich' but don't want to combat the stigma of rich kids so you just fake being on a full scholarship.

Either way, pathetic.
>>
File: 1445866854270.png (129 KB, 336x336) Image search: [Google]
1445866854270.png
129 KB, 336x336
>>7767692
>Being this mad at someone on the internet
Holy shit man you have some serious issues. It's like you're projecting all your bad decisions on me. Thank god I'm still young tho. If I make any mistakes in life I can still go back and make better decisions. Thanks for all the (You)s though. Of the 6 posters you replied to me the most.
>>
File: 1449991488717.jpg (49 KB, 556x561) Image search: [Google]
1449991488717.jpg
49 KB, 556x561
>>7767725
I think the retarded one here is you. How many times do I have to tell you this. My scholarship is not from like in US. The system doesn't work like in the US. You can't sign in to the institution because it selects its own candidates. I don't think a person as retarded as you can even sign up. And yes they do know I'm doing 2 degrees. And they WANT me to do 2 degrees because they see it as good publicity for themselves to get more funding. The other 4 candidates that also got the same scholarship are also doing 2 degrees. One is even doing triple major.
>>
>>7767744
I'm not him but the fact you're wasting your time doing a separated engineering physics degree by spending 4 years doing physics and then another X years doing engineering is questionable

also I think that anon wants proof of that scholarship, the logistics of it obviously exists on the internet if it exists at all
>good publicity
are you famous or something? how is spending that much money on some random person for "good publicity" a smart idea
>>
>>7767744
I though you actually had a scholarship, but after reading this post I think the other Anon is right you are probably a lying trustfund baby.
>>
why did you even make this thread op?
your just ignoring everything everyone is saying because you don't like it (or perhaps you're autistic). if you want to continue with this delusion why bother bringing it up?
>>
>>7767726
"If I make any mistakes in life I can still go back and make better decisions"
holy shit, stop being selfish and share this time machine
>>
Not everyone who does a physics undergrad wants to eventually have a career as a research physicist. I know plenty of people who are using their degrees in physics for general purpose science and technology stuff. Medical science, software development, or just supplementary to some kind of engineering. Very few physics undergrads end up working in academia, but not all of them want to. I personally, am trying to go that route because it's a pretty comfortable life, and I have a knack for theory. Of all the people I got my degree with, I'm the only one doing this.

I'd say a physics degree is very much worth it, regardless of what you do with yourself afterwards.

>>7767653
>>7767669
Boas is a good book.
>>
>>7767639
You eat a salad for breakfast? This is not a good life, son.
>>
>>7767604
1) Most difficult probably quantum field theory, because it was my first introduction to einstein notation, first introduction to lagrangians, and I hadn't really used raising/lowering operators in any real capacity before. The thoroughly mathematical treatment of the material was refreshing, though- you could see where everything came from. That being said, I haven't found many good books on QFT.
2) Kind of boring, electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopy of perovskites.
3) Doing a data science masters degree, $300k starting.
4) Not working harder, and not building a better relationship with my peers/lecturers.
>>
>>7768434
>Most difficult probably quantum field theory, because it was my first introduction to einstein notation, first introduction to lagrangians
How can you take QFT before classical mechanics?
>>
>>7767619
Bit weird. I guess your parents never went through college?
>>
>>7768442
Well, I never really had a course in classical mechanics, it was kind of something you were expected to know/learn. Also it's possible to learn mechanics without encountering the word Lagrangian. To be fair, a lot of the material in my degree was touched upon, but not really covered in any depth. Thing I hated the most was probably that we all this fancy maths, but never learned the proper names for it all, so I probably know more than I think, but short of reading a bunch of math books front-to-back, there's no way to know.
>>
Any of you physics majors know of a free materials database? Specifically I'm looking to find some liquids, between room temp and say 373K, of a certain surface tension, density, and viscosity.
>>
Any people studying gradschool in Australia here? How's the Physics environment like? Is it really "hard" to get accepted in a grad school program as an international student?
>>
>>7768476
matweb
>>
>>7768470
>Also it's possible to learn mechanics without encountering the word Lagrangian.
Maybe some high school level mechanics, but the lagrange and hamilton formalisms are integral to classical mechanics
>>
>>7768493
>highschool level

I think there are pretty much 4 levels of classical mechanics (that I've encoutered in my education)

1. highschool stuff, barely if at all touching calculus
2. first year university stuff, using calculus (Resnick, Haliday, Tipler textbooks, for instance)
3. level 2 advanced, using vector calculus (Symon, Marion, Taylor textbooks)
4. lagrangian and hamiltonian formalisms of classical mechanics, using variational calc etc
>>
>>7768493
>>7768500
Yeah, I feel like in my degree you were expected to know 1), learn 2) by yourself, were taught 3) as part of other modules (electrodynamics), and taught 4) as part of later modules (QM/QFT)
>>
>>7768500
5. Symplectic geometry, Poisson geometry
6. Classical mechanics and topos theory
>>
>>7768522
7. Jacob Barnett studies
>>
>>7767604
>1) What's the most difficult class you had to take?
EM II. Not difficult conceptually, it's just too damn easy to make the smallest mistakes that cost you all your exam points. Fucking shitload of vectors...

>2) What was your final year project?
I initially worked in remote sensing. I took NASA's TERRA/MODIS reflectance data and retrieved AOD from it using a new methodology from Hong Kong researchers. I didn't finish it though, I restarted under theoretical physics. It's still ongoing. All I'm doing is solving energy interference patterns on a plane from two point EM-wave sources using Clifford algebra; basically recalculating the double slit experiment using another formalism.

>3) What did you do after getting your degree?
Haven't graduated yet.

>4) Any regrets?
Not going into theoretical right away. Fucking shitload of data...
>>
>>7767645
You're taking too much for granted. Something could happen that prevents you from getting your engineering degree, or delays it by a decade or more. Unexpected things happen in life.
>>
>>7767645
>>7768536
True that, one of my parents died and I barely finished my degree. Now in a position where I gotta get a job or be homeless, so studying for the sake of interest is not really an option for me currently.
>>
>>7767657
Top 25 isn't good enough.
>>
going to school at UCSB, not really sure why i picked physics atm. theres lots of cool professors here though.
i guess i want to go into biophysics because it sounds the most interesting to me. there are way too many meme-d out spergs here who jerk off about QFT and fusion and can't understand dirac notation/get a handle on the math.
>>
>>7768500
Taylor has chapters dedicated to lagrangian and hamiltonian formalisms though.
>>
File: 1439233122048.jpg (131 KB, 834x769) Image search: [Google]
1439233122048.jpg
131 KB, 834x769
First semester physics here.
Guys, I really don't know at the moment. I started physics because I was interested in it. But now being in it, it actually isn't that great as I expected.
It's pretty damn hard for me to be honest. But I could make if I would be less lazy.
But my real complain is, we have to take an internship every second week and write about a 15 page essay on an experiment. This shit is fucking time consuming and I noticed it's really boring. I don't really want to be a practical physician who writes about his experiments he does. Hell, I don't even want to be a researcher anymore. I realized how fucking hard that path is.
I'm just generally interested in physics.
I thought about it, and came to the conclusion, that with a physics degree I cannot 'apply' my physics on something. And I don't mean staying in a lab, taking thousands of datas and evaluate them and so on. I realized this is really not my thing.
But I'm also not sure if engineering is the right thing. I don't have any special goal that I want to 'create' this or that.
I just don't know at the moment. I feel so fucking depresses, because I'm at the end of my first semester and if I should change my major, I should do it now. Because going 2-4 semester in physics and then realizing I rather want to go into engineering is not the right way.
My brother (CS degree) told me I shouldn't worry that much. I should finish my physics degree and then I won't have a problem working somewhere and making loads of money. But I don't think that's true. On the interwebs it's completely different. Most people say pure physicians have a hard time getting a job and earn even less money than engineers.
Please help me out guys. maybe I'm about to make a really big mistake that I might regret my whole life.
>>
>>7770718
>physician
>Doing this twice.
Stop.

>But I don't think that's true.
It's not. But also it's not true for any degree. There is no "degree = job", you have to work your ass off and network etc. and keep your grades competative to get a degree relevant job.

>Engineering
If you think Physics is hard work you do not want to be in engineering, it has tons of tedious shit like management classes and design projects added on top of all the crap you had to deal with last semester and the science specific courses with labs itself are roughly double what it is in most physics classes (for intro years instead of just physics labs, you'll also have chemistry, materials science/engineering labs, some bullshit geo/survey (in CivilE) thing etc.).
>>
>>7770718
>physician

>>>/out/
>>
3rd year here

Hardest lecture for me was theoretical quantum mechanics.

I know I know, it's not the hardest there is, but it was the first time for me introducing Diracs notation (which I do love now) and it just does not feel really intuitive to me.
>>
>>7770728
>>7770741
Well, fuck me. It's physicist of course.

>>7770728
So what? To be completely honest. I don't fucking know what I actually want to do/be. I just know for sure I don't want to be a researcher.
The thing is, I'm just interested in science. That's it. A bit of chemistry but mostly in physics. That's why I picked this degree. But it's just mere interest. It's not like a passion or love for physics.
I feel like I don't really belong in that major. And I'm not 100% sure if I could actually make through it.
>>
>>7770766
>So what?
My point is you're lazy and STEM isn't worth it for you.

People who do well (by which I mean just getting a job with a reasonable salary) are either very passionate about their work are are at least willing to constantly practice and improve the skills needed in their discipline; something which all professionals do.

>I'm just interested in science.
You're interested in meme science, not real science.

What you should do is get a easier/practical degree that will get you an easy job which is far more money/effort (IT, accounting, business etc.) and spend your spare time only reading popular science/fiction. You will be happy.
>>
>>7770718
Unless you're going to switch majors to something on the same level of difficulty, like maths/engineering/computer science (inb4 ">implying eng/CS is hard"), then you are probably better to stick with physics. There are always going to be some subjects you struggle to get to grips with, but over time you'll find physics gets generally easier, and maybe you'll start to enjoy it more. First semester is a little too soon to judge physics as a whole, but also means there's plenty of time to switch subjects if you want.
Sounds like your degree is pretty sick if you have to take internships every second week, this should definitely help you land a graduate job more than just good grades (which most people have). In terms of actually getting a job, physics itself does not DIRECTLY lead into any career, you don't have to be a researcher or teacher, plenty of people go into finance or IT or something. The best thing about studying physics IMO is that with a small amount of extra work, you can go into a really cool, interesting, high-paying specialist field (e.g. learn a bit of matlab/python/SQL/NoSQL, and you can be a data scientist), and industry really respects a physics degree.
>>
>>7770765
Theoretical quantum mechanics? I thought that at this point QM was pretty much just standard.
>>
Knocking out GenEds at CC standing by.
I wanna learn the holy triumvirate of CS, (in my case hopefully Particle) Physics, and Maths but I don't know what should be my major and what should be my minors. I guess since I'm in the physics thread I'm gonna claim my projected major is physics.
I'd be content as a highschool physics teacher. I think I'd be a good one.
>>
>>7767598
Physics PhD here.

Maths is really hard. When I can't solve something I go to the maths department and ask. Thanks god I'm a girl, so they sometimes help me.
>>
>>7767619
>They said it's hard to find a job and it's very difficult.
Not really but you need to know where to look.

back in the old days before the Berlin Wall came down and peace broke out everywhere a lot of physicists were on defence related projects. As the much promised "peace dividend" had to be fulfilled a lot of R&D jobs were vapourized.

To get the interesting jobs you most likely need a PhD, preferably in experimental research rather than theoretical or computational.

>>7767624
>Because I'm planning to study for an engineering degree after.
Is another 3 years of your life to study that worth it? A PhD is probably more useful since you get to use both degrees which is harder with Physics + Engineering. Money might not be an issue (lucky!) but you still pay with years of your life.

>>7767640
>i'm pretty deep into self-hatred, hold me /sci/
Been there, done that and trust me: you will survive. It is not as if I laugh of those experiences (one examiner told me he wanted to draw some blood and he did) but you will get through it.

>>7767998
>You eat a salad for breakfast?
May I recommend the Caesar salad?
>>
>>7767639
Are those salads high in sodium? Because you sure are salty.
>>
>>7767604

1) Calculus 3 (diffeqs+fourier+complex analysis)
2) Automatically finding gold particles in large transmission electron microscopy images, computer vision stuff. I did a project also on constructing magnetic tweezers
3) Working on my experimental master's now. No idea what comes next yet. Academia seems shit.
4) Not really. There was a lot more math and a lot less experimental work than I inititially expected, but even now I can't see myself doing any other major.
>>
>>7767692

It's a welfare state thing. You wouldn't understand.
>>
>>7770718
>'apply' my physics on something. And I don't mean staying in a lab, taking thousands of datas and evaluate them

This is precisely what applying physics on something means.
>>
>>7770718
>On the interwebs it's completely different
Why the fuck would you take anything here said seriously? If you change majors, atleast don't do it because some morons on 4chan out of all places told you it's a bad one, it would be completely retard.
>>
>>7770718
Physicists are in demand in patenting, on both sides of the table:
As a patent attorney or patent agent you (normally) meet the inventors, work with them to get a good insight into the invention, draft an application and prosecute it.

As a patent examiner you examine said applications.

In both cases you need to understand new technology but you are not required or even expected to perform experiments or lab work yourself.

Last I heard a freshly minted patent agent can earn $140k. That requires some time in industry first and a good exam. Knowing foreign languages can be a major advantage.
>>
>>7771108
It's pretty obvious he just doesn't know what an internship is, he probably means practicals/projects.
>>
>>7771988
That anon.
Yes, that's what I meant. Not really an internship. Just practical projects.
>>
>>7767598
Second year, at sick uni in UK. People on the course are bent as fuck. Course is interesting. Fuck the people on the course tho. Including staff. Load of autismo spazzbots.
>>
>>7770718
If you are feeling like this now in your first semester you must get out. Practicals are tough and they will continue being tough all throughout your degree. Physics practicals are a never ending hell of:
>deciphering bad, or oftentimes incorrect instructions
>time pressure
>being partnered with useless people
>having all of your progress hampered by shit equipment
>trying to justify your conclusions from 4 points of data
>fucking up something small and having to start over half way through
>troubleshooting TeX issues
>writing 10-15 pages of bullshit that is irrelevant to the experiment rather than a concise 4 page report
>losing marks because you didn't put dates next to the items on your lab book contents page
>getting roughly the same grade regardless of how much effort you put in
If you enjoy problem solving, mathematics, and the theoretical side of things, there are many other subjects you could study. I would advise against engineering though, as it is more of the same bullshit from what I can tell. Consider something computer based or mathematical if you can't take a pure theoretical physics degree.
>>
1) Probably Electrodynamics 2 - when we did time-varying stuff with Maxwell's equations. The algebra got totally insane. QM was much easier for me than that.
2) It was a computational project with Monte-Carlo simulations of LHC events
3) Now I'm in a PhD program working on computational biology/bioinformatics. It's a good use of my problem-solving skills from physics, though not directly related. After I finish I'll probably go into industry. I don't really want to be a professor.
4) Not really. I could have majored in computer science and ended up in the same place I am now, but I found physics more interesting at the time. Physics is good because you avoid over-specializing too early. Nobody knows what they really want to do at age 18.
>>
>Any physics major here?
Yes

>What's your experience studying physics?
I hate my life and I want to die.

I'm on my second year and I'm doing physics at a prestigious uni but I really kinda wanna do engineering physics in my home country at a decent but not internationally famous uni. However, I'm not paying shit for this and I feel like I got a really lucky roll, plus I'm on my second year and did well on my first year so I don't wanna throw that away.

At the same time I'm probably more miserable than I've ever been before, I hate everything about living here from noisy accommodation to the impossibility of having any semblance of life. Also I don't think the job outlook is very good for me despite everything.
>>
>>7770718
There is nothing worse than experiments

Just stick it out and wait till they allow you to focus on theory more
>>
>>7767598
Studied physics at the Vienna University of Technology. Was annoying in the last 3 years or so - the first 3 were a bit tough.

Paid off though, did a PhD in the UK and now working for NASA and ESA projects in Earth Observation.

I know it can be tough, but you know, pull through, it'll open up some nice career possibilities.

Obviously study in Europe, no reason to drop £25k+ for a degree in England that might leave you slightly more specialised, but leave you blind to entire disciplines in physics..
>>
>>7772418
>Obviously study in Europe, no reason to drop £25k+ for a degree in England that might leave you slightly more specialised, but leave you blind to entire disciplines in physics.
As someone who has almost no idea how PhD funding works and is from the UK is this true or only for US people?
>>
>>7772440
STEM PhD's are always tuition-free and come with a stipend no matter what country you're in. Otherwise you're being scammed somehow.
>>
>>7772440
>>7772475

I was talking about the undergrad study. Also, PhD's in EU/UK are usually fully funded, but most schemes are only available for EU or UK citizens. A few projects here and there might accept non-EEA citizens, but you have to look harder ...
>>
This thread makes me question physics majors.
I always thought they were smart, but they just seem really anti-social and elitist for invalid reasons.
>>
>>7767601
I know a few EE students that were 3rd year physics students. You guys may do more in depth theory (with zero application of course) but the engineer is much brighter than you because we majored in eng to get a job when we graduate. Sucks to suck mate. That's why you spergs always complain on here.
>>
>>7772529
Sad truth is that on average they're smarter than their peers in other majors, but are often still fucking stupid.
You should judge individuals by how good they are at their major, not by what major they're studying.
>>
>>7772543
I'd honestly like to know what application engineers do, because in my university physics shared a lot of classes (and labs) with EE students, and the only difference I could really see is that physics had more mathematical content and a broader range of subjects, while EE had more on signal processing.
I was also pretty surprised to find that physics/EE had an almost equivalent knowledge of microelectronics, and physics had more experience with programming.
>>
>>7772396
Job prospects are not too bad, see >>7771943
Networking is more important than most students realise and a prestigious international university is the best way to do so. Job markets change a lot, just a few months ago geologists were doing extremely well, and then the oil price imploded and life as a geologist is not that great. With a network of the kind you can make you will be safer than most people. Do make the most of it.

I know that in science networking is frowned upon but believe me, it is important. It has saved me several times.

>>7772529
>I always thought they were smart, but they just seem really anti-social and elitist for invalid reasons.
While I don't exactly make a habit of kissing babies and hugging ladies every day on my way to work I still like to think I am social. Most of my fellow students in undergrad and grad school were also social. I am not sure what subset of physicists you have come across.

I don't understand the elitist thing either. I have met several of the absolute elite and they are nice, humble and social. One is well published and stealth like in person.
>>
>>7774149
Call me retarded, but what does it actually mean to network? What kinds of people should I be networking with?
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.