[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So today I learned that americucks weren't learning about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
So today I learned that americucks weren't learning about pic related until their master because it was "too hard to understand". Is it why engineering is seen as a fedora-tier education in the US?

Is any others cultural difference is science teachings? I find it pretty interresting 2bh. Sorry for the memes btw
>>
>>7761756
engineering is fedora-tier education everywhere in the world
>>
>>7761758
What is Ecole Normale Superieure?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classe_pr%C3%A9paratoire_aux_grandes_%C3%A9coles

Engineering isn't a joke where I live, if you think so you'd better compare the number of Fields medals France got with the score of the rest of the world.
Though I think that US students learn more about computer science and industrial science so that could be where the memes come from
>>
>>7761756
I never learned it until I took Stat. Mech.
>>
asymptotic behavior of factorial function was mentioned in my first university class but not proven
>>
>>7761766
America has better universities than France though
>>
>>7761786
sure buddy, gotta believe the Shanghai rankings :^)
>>
>>7761786
But if you had clicked on the link, you'd know ecile normale supérieure isn't a university, neither are french engeneering schools. There are no other requirements to go to unversity in France than getting over high school so the level is pretty low there. Btw we learn about pic begining of first year
>>
>>7761885
And MIT is on the same page as Community College?
There's no point at mentionning mediocre unis when it comes to quality of education.
>>
>>7761792
Frenchy is proud of its educational system. Teaching would be good if the gov funded it more.
Plus, all those efforts put in 'prepa' are worthless considering the salaries.
>>
>>7761891
>Getting education is worthless unless you get a shitload of money
I'm pretty sure I could earn more money that yu'd ever earn by selling drugs and weapons, but I choose not too because I'm a decent human bean

Oh and also, 13 380 € per yer per student is a pretty good gov founding, and it somehow grants better education than spending 4 hours a day in an 1500 students amphitheater while paying 50 000$ per year
>>
>learning an approximation
>not learning the gamma function instead
>>
>>7761913
>2 tools with differents uses
>only learns one
Also, equivalents aren't approximations
>>
File: realhumanbean.jpg (222 KB, 1241x1600) Image search: [Google]
realhumanbean.jpg
222 KB, 1241x1600
>>7761910

>Look at how great of a human bean i am
>>
>>7761913
Who uses the gamma function to calculate factorials? Isn't it typically the other way around?
>>
>>7761957
>Isn't it typically the other way around?
nope

it's used a lot in the formulation of probability distributions
>>
>>7761756

I've seen Stirling formula in undergrad Math, Physics, Chem, and EE/CpE courses. Your source is full of shit.
>>
>>7761913
Yes, because 99999999! is easy to calculate form the gamma function
>>
My fluid mechanics (chemical engineering) prof from france pretty much did a math/physics degree before doing engineering. That's how engineering should be taught to be quite honest, you lose out on so much..
>>
>>7761756
proving stirling's convergence was the subject of the thesis of a former student of my analysis professor. he considered it a good thesis and not trivial. Never looked at it myself tho
on the other hand understanding what the symbols mean is pretty easy
>>
File: Stirling.jpg (378 KB, 560x2348) Image search: [Google]
Stirling.jpg
378 KB, 560x2348
We proved Stirling's Formula during our Analysis 1 class (first semester undergrad).
>>
>>7761756
US CS major here, we learned that in our first year data structures course
>>
>>7761766
>Engineering
>Fields medals
wat
>>
>>7761766
To be fair, ENS is not an engineering school it's a professor school, although most graduates end up in research.

>>7761786
And France has better universities than America, your point ?

>>7761891
>Plus, all those efforts put in 'prepa' are worthless considering the salaries.
Not really, compared to what you'd get by not going to prepa, it's completely worth it. Then again, this is an opinion.
If prepa is so hard, it's really because high school is so shit, after 2 years of prepa I really feel that I wasted 3 years of my life in high school.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.