[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going back to school
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 15
File: 1445762875297.jpg (33 KB, 302x263) Image search: [Google]
1445762875297.jpg
33 KB, 302x263
Any adult/oldfolk students here? How are you managing?

>Failed out of college sophomore year of Finance in 2011.
>Went home to live with parents.
>Started community college for an industrial trade (2 years).
>Immediate employment after graduation at $50k (age 22)
>2016, now earn $70k
>Have house+wife+two kids
>Employer offers education reimbursement of $5k per year for all employees
>Decide to take classes after work for undergrad in EE
>See that ASU offers online EE
>Enroll
>Two years later and I have 4.33 GPA; A+ in nearly every class.

School is like twenty times easier than it was when I was 19. Now I know why old geezers always get the highest grades. Going back to school as an adult is like using cheat-codes. Easiest thing ever. Your drive is so much higher, your discipline is ironclad, and school is ridiculously more easy than your real job.

I'm tired of my classmates always asking if things will be curved upwards because they are fail and have no drive.
>>
File: 1450993162147.jpg (66 KB, 399x382) Image search: [Google]
1450993162147.jpg
66 KB, 399x382
>>7756801
>online EE
>>
>4.33 GPA
>online EE

ohohohoho
>>
>>7756838
>>7756868

Its legit guys, no where will your degree mention online. Seriously, after I finish undergrad I am going to do my masters in EE online as well.
>>
>>7756952
I thought EE (and all engineerings for that matter) was one of those degrees that needed to have laboratories or some kind of practical class.

Now I feel even worse about having to do laboratories myself when I am a fucking math major.

Someone please kill me.
>>
>>7756952
Good for you man. Don't listen to the idiots on here.

Your only mistake was not doing pure physics/math
>>
>>7756952
It's not legit because labs are the biggest part of EE. And no you can't do them all online through some shitty java module. Good luck showing up to an interview never having seen an oscilloscope or FPGA.
>>
File: 1451524555558.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1451524555558.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>>7756959
>Now I feel even worse about having to do laboratories myself when I am a fucking math major.
Are you just talking about using matlab? Couldn't you just share your results online instead of having be in person? I know that my respective university provides students with copies of matlab via a remote server.

>>7756963
>Your only mistake was not doing pure physics/math
I needed real life practicality. EE will be more suitable towards that goal in my field. e.g. transformers, motors, transmission, racking breakers, power generation etc. Plus it'll be easy to go from EE to getting my PE license with some work experience. *Remember kids only PE's can legally be called an engineer in their title. If you don't have a PE license, your not an engineer ;)

>>7756968
>It's not legit because labs are the biggest part of EE.
You have to buy lab kits, so you actually do complete your labs physically at home, with variable transformers and all the associated gear. Some are virtualized labs, but a good amount is material real-life modules.

>And no you can't do them all online through some shitty java module. Good luck showing up to an interview never having seen an oscilloscope or FPGA.
1.) They make you buy a function generator and oscilloscope for your EE classes. You use them heavily.
2.) Interview is not needed, I'm already in the industry my friend, they just move me around in title :D
>>
File: 1449625439466.jpg (195 KB, 800x747) Image search: [Google]
1449625439466.jpg
195 KB, 800x747
I'm getting sleepy; I'll end on this note. If any other old people are thinking about doing the same as I did and restarting up in school. I'd say do it!

If you decide to go for your EE masters online, look into the following (completely online)

Columbia University - #4 tie in National Universities Rankings
http://www.cvn.columbia.edu/program/columbia-university-electrical-engineering-master-of-science

Stanford - #4 tie National Universities Rankings
http://scpd.stanford.edu/public/category/courseCategoryCertificateProfile.do?method=load&certificateId=1227185

Georgia Tech - #36 National Universities Rankings
https://pe.gatech.edu/online-masters-degrees

University of Florida - # 47 National Universities Rankings
http://www.distance.ufl.edu/masters
>>
>>7757116

their faces will be red when they realize there are no jobs in EE either.
>>
>>7756998
>Are you just talking about using matlab?

No, I'm not stupid.

I have to take General Physics I and II and that includes laboratories.
>>
>>7757369
>no jobs in EE
Not for fags like you who got an EE degree with a 2.5 GPA.
But if you actually come out not looking like a retard, there's a shit ton of EE employment opportunities.
>>
>>7756801
Are you doing an associates or something?

> Going back to school as an adult is like using cheat-codes. Easiest thing ever. Your drive is so much higher, your discipline is ironclad, and school is ridiculously more easy than your real job.

That's only true for "adults" that didn't have discipline when they were young; which most good young students have.

Congrats you are just catching up to intelligent kids 7 years ahead of you.
>>
>>7756959
All ABET accredited degrees require a practical component, that's a requirement in several subsections of the accreditation criteria document. Including EE technologist degrees.

I don't know what OP is doing, but it's probably not an ABET engineering degree, who cares though, if his boss pointed him towards the programme it will probably give him a salary bump on graduation.
>>
Yeah, although not exactly old. I dropped out of high school as a wee lad for a variety of reasons. Eventually got my shit together and got my high school certificate. Did really, really well so decided to go to Uni (wasn't really the plan originally). Going into my third year now as a 25 year old and generally do pretty well. Never gotten below a Distinction average and regularly get HDs.

I think it is "easier" for older students because we genuinely want to be there whereas younglings fresh out of high school often go to Uni just because. Particularity in countries where higher education is either free or subsidised. Kind of weird being older, especially as I look even older than I actually am, but it has its perks. Sexy af teenage girls come to me for help quite regularly.

Too bad I'm too beta to make a move, but still.
>>
>>7757402
I can't believe you're complaining about doing Physics labs. They're annoying, but it's a far cry from 6 hour+ o-chem labs.
>>
>>7756801
>>Have house+wife+two kids
Actually brags about this on 4chan
lol
>>
>>7757547
Its that I am a math major. I will never touch a laboratory in mind so there is no point in wasting my time with that. They could just teach me more physics on paper and that would be fine.

The closer a math major will ever be to a laboratory or to lab people is by being their statistician.
>>
>>7757551
Fucking normies, this place lately...
>>
File: 1447382756167.jpg (201 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1447382756167.jpg
201 KB, 1920x1080
>>7757369
>their faces will be red when they realize there are no jobs in EE either.
If your not good at something than nobody is going to want you. If you can bring value to a company they will actually hire you (you really don't need much value to justify that either). That is why it is important for you to do well and school really UNDERSTAND what your learning. Don't just learn to test (Employers can tell the difference). In the southeastern regions of the US you are almost guaranteed a job (as an EE fresh out of school) unless you are incompetent or have no common sense.

>>7757541
>Congrats you are just catching up to intelligent kids 7 years ahead of you.
I thought that was the case when I had just started school again. Then I realized I have no school debt, I have a real salary, my company is paying my education @$5k/yr for as long as I like taking classes even beyond my degree (can be a lifetime student :D), got a ridiculous amount of realworld nonacademic industry experience, and lightyears worth of relevant resume material. So I feel like I fast-tracked past most of my peers that I went to real college with before I dropped. Almost all of them moved back home with their parents despite having solid respectable degrees (STEM and nonSTEM) after they graduated and have joke jobs for what they studied. Its quite sad. The only people outside me who seem to have made it in the real world were two female acquaintances of mine who ended up marrying old money offspring who were new investment bankers at their parents' companies. I could talk more about this phenomenon but all in all its quite depressing. Prospects are bleak for most, unless you go to trade school or get a real engineering degree (Civil, Mech, EE, Nuc, Chem) that gives you either technical expertise or application ability in industry.
>>
25 here. Finished HS, but had no money for Uni and no real drive for it either. Fast forward 5 years later and I've homeschooled my self to be able to apply to some government funded semi-closed unis.
I'm not fuzzed that there are kids who will be way ahead of me. I just hope I can manage to keep a job and Uni at the same time.
>>
File: ABET.png (14 KB, 679x367) Image search: [Google]
ABET.png
14 KB, 679x367
>>7757544
>probably not an ABET engineering degree, who cares though, if his boss pointed him towards the programme it will probably give him a salary bump on graduation.

Electrical Engineering - Arizona State University
ABET, Inc.
Accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission
https://engineering.asu.edu/accreditations/
>>
>>7757546
>I think it is "easier" for older students because we genuinely want to be there whereas younglings fresh out of high school often go to Uni just because.

This. Right here.
>>
>>7757546
It's not because they want to fuck you, it's because they think you think you're too old to flirt with them and so it's less risky asking you for help than a potential sex partner.

Congrats, you're their dad. Not even in a sexy way.
>>
>>7757569
Physics doesn't happen only on paper, you can't study physics without the practical component, you might not realize the importance right now, but when you start mathematical modelling it will click and you will realize the experiments have a definitive purpose in the curriculum.

>Yeah, but I'm a math major!
It still doesn't kill you to learn other fields at an intro level, it's in your programme for a reason.
>>
>>7757887
>I thought that was the case when I had just started school again.
You thought right.

> Then I realized I have no school debt,
Smart kids have scholarships and corporate bursaries (yes, you can get them at 18, most big companies do it at top high-schools), but that's beside the point.

> I have a real salary, my company is paying my education @$5k/yr for as long as I like taking classes even beyond my degree (can be a lifetime student :D),
Right, but you could've been earning a higher engineering salary for the last 3 years and be earning it for the next 4 instead of your current while you study.
>got a ridiculous amount of realworld nonacademic industry experience,
Well sure, I'll give you that, internships only last 6-8 weeks for full time students, but then again you're still doing lower level engineering, you'll soon realize that upper level academic experience is more important for being a good professional engineering than the trade experience you have.
>and lightyears worth of relevant resume material.
You're taking a bit too many liberties on the word "relevant" here. Good things to have on your CV is ex. "Worked for company X: duties included simulation, design and optimization of non-linear PDE model of problem Y. Supervisor: (PE, B.Eng. ) [email protected], ". Having "Worked for company X" with only techie experience doesn't put you that much higher than being an internshipless 22 year old graduate in terms of your professional career.

>my peers
They are not your peers, your "peers" have been professional engineers for the last 3 years and they will be earning that high salary for 4 more years while you still have to finish school.

It's nice that you are catching up to them, you are doing far better than most people on the planet, but surely you have to see how you would've been better of going the classical 18-22 (on a scholarship or not) -> BEng (ET lowish salary) --> 24 high salary PE. --> 6 figs before 30.
>>
>>7757903
You're telling me ABET accredited an "online" degree from a shitty state uni?

That's it, I'm filing an official complaint with the IEA. I know we can't kick ABET out, but they at least need a fucking a reprimand. This is ridiculous, no where else in the Washington accord accredited world does shit like this happen.
>>
ITT: people mad because someone didn't follow the exact same path they did.

OP good for you, don't feel marginalized because of what these idiots say. They're elitist snobs who think they are superior for some arbitrary reason. Because they think their struggle was worse than yours, but they know nothing.
>>
File: 1446158528002.jpg (630 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1446158528002.jpg
630 KB, 1280x1024
>>7757922
>>I thought that was the case when I had just started school again.
>You thought right.
False statement; I explained why it was otherwise.

>> Then I realized I have no school debt,
>Smart kids have scholarships and corporate bursaries (yes, you can get them at 18, most big companies do it at top high-schools), but that's beside the point.
I still don't have school debt. We all take different paths. Seems like you want to argue for the sake of arguing.

>> I have a real salary, my company is paying my education @$5k/yr for as long as I like taking classes even beyond my degree (can be a lifetime student :D),
>Right, but you could've been earning a higher engineering salary for the last 3 years and be earning it for the next 4 instead of your current while you study.
I know you think engineers start off at 6 figures, but that is a statistical anomaly and an incorrect assumption. Starting wage, is actually between ~60-70k. Once you pay your dues and learn your company's operations you will probably advance to 90k if you show promise (2-3 years probably). The key statement being "IF". Not all people ascend to higher levels. 80/20 rule. 80% stay in the title they first enter under for the majority of their lives. 20% will advance.
>>
File: 1445651044840.jpg (93 KB, 638x359) Image search: [Google]
1445651044840.jpg
93 KB, 638x359
>>7757922

>>got a ridiculous amount of realworld nonacademic industry experience,
>Well sure, I'll give you that, internships only last 6-8 weeks for full time students, but then again you're still doing lower level engineering, you'll soon realize that upper level academic experience is more important for being a good professional engineering than the trade experience you have.
As an engineer you really don't save the day in industry. Your higher level studies will never be employed. Your at a slightly higher level than bluecollar joe-blow the IBEW electrician. You usually just rubberstamp paperwork. Install stuff per vendor manuals. Most of your work is done on software anyways, so no real calculations are made on your part. Intuitively your EE education helps, but rarely does it seem to be employed. Your more like an advanced electrician.
>>
File: 5350285069_e1aa4556fb.jpg (224 KB, 475x500) Image search: [Google]
5350285069_e1aa4556fb.jpg
224 KB, 475x500
>>7757922

>>and lightyears worth of relevant resume material.
>You're taking a bit too many liberties on the word "relevant" here. Good things to have on your CV is ex. "Worked for company X: duties included simulation, design and optimization of non-linear PDE model of problem Y. Supervisor: (PE, B.Eng. ) [email protected], ". Having "Worked for company X" with only techie experience doesn't put you that much higher than being an internshipless 22 year old graduate in terms of your professional career.
Experience is everything. A: Hey Bill did you hear what happen yesterday? S: No what?? A: Remember that new kid they just hired last week? S: Yep.? A: Last night he went to go rack out the B-21A Breaker by himself and straight fucking blew himself to charred pieces. He died last night in the ICU burn unit. S: Holy fuck, how? A: I guess he didn't have experience, they gave him a small job to open the contacts assuming he knew what to do with his fancy degree, but apparently didn't have any experience. He didn't wear an arc flash suit. He fucked up the grounding. And he didn't even stand to the side of the breaker as he tried to rack it out. S: Damn shame, thats basic stuff they don't teach you in college. A: Yep
...point being experience matters.

>>my peers
>They are not your peers, your "peers" have been professional engineers for the last 3 years and they will be earning that high salary for 4 more years while you still have to finish school.
I am not finishing highschool? There salary is only marginally higher than what I make as an industrial trades person.

>It's nice that you are catching up to them, you are doing far better than most people on the planet, but surely you have to see how you would've been better of going the classical 18-22 (on a scholarship or not) -> BEng (ET lowish salary) --> 24 high salary PE. --> 6 figs before 30.
Easier said then done. You got to get your foot in the door someway. I did it through trades.
>>
>>7757909
>25 here. Finished HS, but had no money for Uni and no real drive for it either. Fast forward 5 years later and I've homeschooled my self to be able to apply to some government funded semi-closed unis.
> I'm not fuzzed that there are kids who will be way ahead of me. I just hope I can manage to keep a job and Uni at the same time.

>what are girl who are intersted in older guys

Dayum. Each girl I've met would would never say no physically to some guy 7-20 years older as long as they are "hot". Ask any random girl on campus. All of them would fuck Leo Di Caprio on a whim for example.
>>
>>7758237
>False statement; I explained why it was otherwise.
You failed to do so convincingly; correct statement.

>I still don't have school debt.
Neither did I, I was on a corporate bursary. I earned an EIT salary in my summer training when I was 19. Worked off my contract and salary jumped.
>We all take different paths.
Yes, and yours sucked, you're trying to justify your early failures which I find really pathetic and arrogant.

>I know you think engineers start off at 6 figures,
>think
No, I know because two of my friends working in petro companies started with 6 figs. They had corporate bursaries too btw.

>IF
Not really, usually at large companies it's fixed salaries for PEs because it's too large to track merit. Your salary is entirely dependent on your credentials and seniority in any company with 5 figure employees or more.

>80/20
Shit you made up, ok. Listen fuckwit, not every company works the same way as the shithole loser company you work at. There are many different career paths for engineers, some go research starting at 6 figs after their PhD, some do management, some stay in specialized processing and higher than most managers.

There's a chemical engineer who worked on distillation columns his entire career -design duties usually given to entry level engineers, today he travels around the planet and he earns an average 6 million per weekend lecture he does. Companies pay this fee because he's just that good.

>As an engineer you really don't save the day in industry. Your higher level studies will never be employed.
Again, in non-loser companies you do. You won't even get an interview with those companies if you aren't coming from good uni+GPA or have the REAL engineering experience I mentioned.
>>
File: 1447462275562.jpg (278 KB, 1024x760) Image search: [Google]
1447462275562.jpg
278 KB, 1024x760
>>7757925
Y u so mad tho?
Please screenshot the email you send or scan the letter you write in. I need a good laugh at your expense.
>>
> Your at a slightly higher level than bluecollar joe-blow the IBEW electrician.
No, YOU are. I know plenty of loser engineers, they happen to be in the minority and their usually your type:
>Attached to a shitty company coming in with a diploma/AA.
>Studied engineering later in their career.
>Bitched about how he doesn't use what's he's learning "in real life/work" (ie. he thinks his shift manager is doing real engineering work; he's not)
Also stop fucking doing ^ in class, you are annoying your fellow students you arrogant shit stain.
>Ends up graduating with that same shitty loser attitude and he never improve his skills again and ends up paper pushing the rest of his unambitious career.
In 30 years you will probably be tempted to come back to a site like this and proclaim engineering is this and that because that's your subjective experience. Don't. Your career is not the norm. There are many many different careers.

> Most of your work is done on software anyways
Who do you think writes the software you fuckwit. What do you think happens when commercial software can't handle your problem (ie the reason yo uare hird). Stop pretending you know anything about engineering. Despite your age you're an insufferably arrogant undergrad, nothing more.

I swear to god, you are literally like a chemist who actually aspires to spend his entire career in QC and then tries to talk shit about how chemists don't need group theory or any of that complicated physical chemistry stuff "because the machine does the analysis for you".
>>
>>7757889
Isn't unis free in funland?
T. Fugg
>>
>>7758243
>Technician fantasies about seeing their bosses blow up.

I really don't care for passive aggressive cat chatter.

>There salary is only marginally higher than what I make as an industrial trades person.
Who? The engineers at your company? Top tier engineers are making twice your salary at that age.

>Easier said then done. You got to get your foot in the door someway. I did it through trades.
Doing it through trades is the worst possible way to do it. If you aren't convinced yet by everything else I've mentioned in life time earnings, consider your salary cap before retirement will be significantly lower due ti your late start. It could end up costing you close to or even over a million.

As I can see from your posts another problem I didn't anticipate before is the toxic attitude you developed where you think other engineers will pick up the slacl and you'll just be signing papers and don't need to improve. Your company will end up running into a problem you can't solve and they'll have to use your bonus money to hire consultants because of your lack of professionalism.
>>
>>7758268
>Unironically thinks OP looks like an actor
>Unironically thinks a girl trying to fuck a guy would be using help on work instead of flirting and using their beta orbiters for homework help.
>>
>>7758289
>He thinks programmes don't lose their accreditation all the time.

I'll have the last laugh when they pull yours just before graduation.
>>
>>7757547
So much this. Fuck the chemistry department and their gay ass lab reports.
>>
File: 1445571377928.gif (417 KB, 250x138) Image search: [Google]
1445571377928.gif
417 KB, 250x138
>>7758285

>justify your early failures which I find really pathetic and arrogant
I'm not justifying early failures.

>as the shithole loser company you work at
That is a little uncalled for. What substantiates your claim that I work at a shithole loser company?

>some go research starting at 6 figs after their PhD
>some
Lucky to get a job you mean?
start reading
http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/most_popular.php
to get a sense of the phd situation for many
Masters+work trumps phd these days. There are a glut of phds.
>>
>>7756838
>YFW Stanford offers online Masters degrees in all forms of engineering
>>
File: EE life time earnings.png (78 KB, 1062x688) Image search: [Google]
EE life time earnings.png
78 KB, 1062x688
>>7758350
>What substantiates your claim that I work at a shithole loser company?
Because if you can't see why senior coursework is very useful and just the tip of the more advanced iceberg of advanced engineering and applied math you will, then you are probably working for a company that use lumped models or you are working on problems that can be easily simulated with commercial software. That is to say you are either low tech or you aren't working on anything new. -but I suspect you've never used engineering software anyway (or do and don't need it), because then you would've known need a working knowledge of PDEs and optimization just to use it anyway.

All good and big companies are constantly working on something new.

>That is a little uncalled for.
It's not a personal attack. It's a fact about the company you work for.

Though if you do end up graduating with your current attitude, consider it a personal attack.

>PHD comics
As if I haven't read every one of them.

>Masters+work trumps phd these days. There are a glut of phds.
PhD's are oversaturated and many of them don't end up working in engineering, but it still beats the MBA meme.

I mean seriously did your daddy tell you about the MBA degree? They don't earn nearly as much as they used to, it's just as oversaturated as everything else, you have a better chance of getting into management with a BEng alone.

Unrelated: Also interesting to note from pic related PhDs in Business administration earn less than MBAs, unlike the reverse trend in engineering.

http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report/degrees-and-majors-lifetime-earnings
>>
>>7758363
>Stanford
>>7758253
>>
>>7758393
Also another fun note. It looks like while a PhD in Business Admin (bottom black line) beats entry level Bachelors in EE (top red line), EEs overtake them in 10 years and have larger life time earnings.

Bachelors in EE earns more than MBA holders (blue line) on average through their entire career.
>>
>>7756801
>MFW I was waitlisted at Cal for Mechanical Engineering and got in
>MFW I have a 4.0 and basically tutor half the kids in my classes
>MFW kids who get a Regent's scholarship are mostly retards
>>
>>7758396
Claiming that that's representative of the academic rigor of Stanford and the quality of student is like saying Cosmos is representative of the state of the art in science
>>
>mfw OP thinks his online degree is worth anything
what a joke
>>
>>7758416
thanks for the rare p
>>
>I'm tired of my classmates always asking if things will be curved upwards because they are fail and have no drive.

What are you, the Scholastic Donald trump?
>>
File: 1427240957031.jpg (71 KB, 326x326) Image search: [Google]
1427240957031.jpg
71 KB, 326x326
>>7756801
>college sophomore year in 2011
>has a house, wife and 2 kids in 2016
>>
>>7756801

BA degree here, fine arts. Mad as fuck about this thread.
>>
>>7758471
I bet it happened like this.
>Girlfriend was too much of a distraction
>flunked out
>Got her knocked up
>parents help out with job
>gets good pay
>gets married
>gets knocked up again

only took 3 years. But I don't believe the $20,000 raise in 3-4 years.
>>
>>7758477
m8 why do you care, you had to know people with higher salaries than you existed? There are MDs earning 400k right now.
>>
File: 01_1.jpg (249 KB, 1920x1170) Image search: [Google]
01_1.jpg
249 KB, 1920x1170
>>7758483
There are people earning 100 million dollars a year.
>>
>>7758482
>But I don't believe the $20,000 raise in 3-4 years.
That's extremely common in any technical industry whether you're a programmer, tech or an engineer. Your entry training period lasts 2 years then you become immensely more valuable and the company gives you a salary bump because you could probably earn even more if you moved to another company.
>>
>>7758487
Not many. There are many engies, lawboys and MDs.

I'm really confused as to why it would make anyone mad though
>Oh wow, you asshole you occasionally worked hard instead of partying every single night for ten years, how dare you earn a higher salary than me!
>>
>>7758493
>Oh wow, you asshole you occasionally worked hard instead of partying every single night for ten years, how dare you earn a higher salary than me!

How does this work though?

I'm studying Applied Mathematics, and math is the only thing I like, the only thing I do all day, and the only thing I'm good at. What do I say when in job interviews they ask me about my "hobbies" or my social life or some stupid shit like that?

>hurr I like writing proofs on my own with a glass of whisky before shitposting on a Japanese image board

There must be more to making a shitload of money than "working hard" in university, or not?
>>
Why do americans marry so early?
>>
>>7758504
>I'm studying Applied Mathematics, and math is the only thing I like, the only thing I do all day, and the only thing I'm good at.

4chan memes aside the work needed to get an app. math. degree doesn't really compare to professional degrees like law, engineering, medicine.

> What do I say when in job interviews they ask me about my "hobbies" or my social life or some stupid shit like that?
Well do you have any actual hobbies?
>hurr I like writing proofs on my own with a glass of whisky before shitposting on a Japanese image board
You could unironically tell them that, but they're probably looking to see if you fit their perception of what they think an intelligent and balanced individual looks like. So if you don't look physically fit (in which case anything from rock climbing to running will be a good "hobby") tell them you do drawing/Art/music; you don't have to be good at it for it to count as a hobby.

In any case an interview for a technical position won't ask you anything like this.

Also I would not recommend telling them about your collection of WH40k minis.

>There must be more to making a shitload of money than "working hard" in university, or not?
In careers like medicine not really. In your case and in careers like law and engineering networking and not being autistic in general is everything. That being said, the best way to network in something like engineering happens to involve being a hard working student. If your capstone/final year research project impresses your professor he will recommend you to any industry contact you ask him to; those are where the high paying jobs are.

In your particular case I recommend you take some non-technical courses like business economics/management to supplement your degree if you want to get into the 6 figure range as fast as possible, but there are many, many career paths open to you, the ones that lead to 6 figs now, won't necessarily have high salaries like what happens to wall street quants.
>>
>>7758524
It's only religious people with no future who do that.
>>
>>7758538
>Also I would not recommend telling them about your collection of WH40k minis.

Lel, anyway I was thinking about doing a minor in Mathematical Finance, and also doing an extra class in programming.

Any other things I can do right now to help me in the 6-figure range later on? I was thinking about joining a frat, but then again, all the dudes from my degree who were in a frat already dropped out.
>>
>>7758504
Also that highlights the importance of attending a university with quality industry contacts (now you know why industry grants count for so much in university rankings). Cold applications fucking suck and you are not likely to get a high salary job like that. The best engineering jobs are obtained through your department's network. Often you'll still go through an interview process, but people there are comfortable with your department, they basically know you and are more willing to hire you, at really good departments you will probably have done a research project for them during your undergrad. Once you get a job in good/large companies like this climbing the ladder really is a matter of merit. Being attractive etc. helps don't get me wrong, but well run companies are very meritocratic.

If you missed out on networking during universities make sure your cold applications are to relevant companies or try to reconnect with the faculty and/or your old classmates. If you don't have good experience on your resume then depending on your intended career you should build a portfolio. For example you're a pure math grad, teach yourself python/some open source language then create a GitHub profile and contribute to large open source projects (ex. contribute to scipy.optimize writing optimization routines, scipy.integreate for numerical DEs etc. depending on your expertise). The language doesn't matter, what matters is a potential employer can see what you are capable of.

This looks extremely good on a CV and is likely to land you a high-salary at an engineering software/consulting firm; I am talking six figures early career. Don't dread interviews, it's very difficult to actually fuck up in a technical interview, most people care more about your technical skills than anything (but of course you have to actually be able to communicate your skills to them).
>>
>>7758558
>minor in Mathematical Finance, and also doing an extra class in programming.
Both very good ideas. You don't actually need programming classes (but it helps) though, if you list a programming language on your CV they will take your word for it since it is expected most technical graduates teach themselves programming.

>Any other things I can do right now to help me in the 6-figure range later on?
There's no recipe, like I said careers shift. The most important is building some unique skill, having proven projects that utilizes that skill on your CV. Technical departments hire 6 fig. employees because they are intelligent and very few people can do what they can.

If you get any STEM job that isn't straight up IT or QC etc. you will probably break 6 figs. eventually though, don't stress.

>I was thinking about joining a frat, but then again, all the dudes from my degree who were in a frat already dropped out.
Those people have fuckall contacts, it's a waste of your time. I swear frats are the biggest goddamn meme. They actually thinking drinking with other retarded middle class students is "networking", they're retarded and not going anywhere.

Make friends with the faculty (esp. the older ones they generally have the best networks by far) and people in your class. Probably the second best networking after your faculty is internships. Impress someone there, make friends and add people to LinkedIn (yes, some relevant people actually use it).
>>
>>7758566
>you're a app* math grad

Also scipy.integrate is in serious need of some better PDE solvers, I've been thinking of writing a few myself, haven't found the time yet.
>>
>>7756801
>Going back to school as an adult is like using cheat-codes. Easiest thing ever. Your drive is so much higher, your discipline is ironclad, and school is ridiculously more easy than your real job.

The latter part is key. When you get out of school and enter the World Of Work, you find out that there aren't any guaranteed answers to problems. And if there are acceptable answers to be found for problems, it's hard work indeed finding efficient forms of those solutions.

Going back into an undergraduate environment would be a piece of cake in comparison. All you need to do is read, understand and then regurgitate the methodologies for finding the guaranteed-to-exist answers.
>>
>>7758566
>>7758580
Thanks anons, great advice.
>>
>>7756801

been looking at iq tests online thanks to another thread on this board
now trying to spot the pattern in ops image and if the pictures are correct and if not what should they look like
ugh, its 1am, turn off you stupid brain, let me sleep
>>
>>7757569
>Its that I am a math major.
>I will never touch a laboratory
What exactly do you expect to do when you graduate?
>>
>>7758524
Marriage was the original meme
>>
Yes.

Got a music degree when I was 22, worked repairing musical instruments for 5 years, realized I would be living in poverty and be fucking bored for the rest of my life. Went back to school for EE. 29 now.
>>
>>7758524
Americans seem to physically mature much sooner than Europeans.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.