[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /sci/, Did you chase your dream and chose the degree that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 850x1182) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 850x1182
So /sci/,
Did you chase your dream and chose the degree that you had intrinsic passion in?
And how is it going?
Tfw Astrophysics, awaiting doom.
>>
Yes.
Physics (and Materials Science)
Physics makes my life miserable in every way imaginable so I might still jump ship to Materials full-time.

Originally I was supposed to do ChemE but I'm happy I didn't, at least for now.
>>
>>7756173

Yes, I majored in physics. Fuck this degree.
>>
I was, then I switched to chem e because I want to stack that paper.
>>
>>7756163
No, I did chemE for the money, hated it. now im doing a pure math degree while having tons of moneys
>>
>>7756163

Chem E like everyone else. (I actually like it, though).
>>
>>7756163
I chose Applied Mathematics because I wanted to become an Actuary purely for the salary. But on the way Math became my intrinsic passion.
>>
>>7756243
>No, I did chemE for the money, hated it. now im doing a pure math degree while having tons of moneys

Same here, except I got a B- last semester. Grad school is no longer an option. I don't know what I am going to do with my life.
>>
>>7756249
quoted the wrong post
>>7756243
Mean this
I like chemE. I just wish I wasn't so useless.
>>
>>7756163
No, I like math but don't like the idea of working in business if I don't get into grad school.
Studying chemistry instead, like the idea of working in a lab.
Can still teach math in high school I guess.
>>
>>7756163
Chased my passions, worked out perfectly.
>ChemE gradstudent.
>Working on cutting edge molecular dynamics research.
>Only duties is TAing which I actually like, spend most of the day on research and studying.
>Love academia and my daily commute through beautiful campus grounds full of undergrad qts.
>Turned down a 6 figure consultancy offer last semester because the project pitch bored me and I have enough money built up over the last 2 years.
> (>mfw my friends who did pure degrees -the meme people- are starving or literally surviving on ramen while I just bought my first house cash last semester)
>Adviser is sending me to a collaborating European institution next year for my PhD with promise of a tenure track position when I get back (whether he will deliver remains to be seen).
>Looking forward to traveling and banging Euro sloots for 2-5 years.

I should warn anyone reading this that ChemE is not the degree to money whore in, that only works in medicine. I'm not exaggerating when I say less than 5% graduates end up in a position similar to mine, even if you get into grad-school you also have to shine and become the golden boy ASAP or it will be hell and you'll be just as broke as pure without your adviser/network referring consultancies to you. Most ChemE grads end up earning 60kpa doing crappy processing work (trust me, working in a factory office next to high temperature reactors gets old fast). I know what the mean salary looks like, but that's because top-tier graduates are getting great jobs at petro and other top-tier companies (also process engineering, but the salary gap is vast), chances are you probably won't get that 6 figure starting and "80k mean starting salary" does not exist.

You either need to be either extremely talented AND highly extroverted/charismatic or highly talented and extremely extroverted/charismatic to succeed in ChemE, otherwise you are better off doing chemistry if you like science and medicine/law if you like money.
>>
>>7756306

I'm doing MD research in undergrad now, mind if I ask where you're going for grad school?
>>
>>7756310
Not a top 20 school if that's what you're asking. I don't actually know our rating, just that we have publications in high quality journals and everyone in our department is rich which is enough for me.
>>
>>7756163
No, I just did a brief search for the easiest looking science degree.

I ended up in a course for Pathologists that turned out to be the single most intensive science course available.

My failure from pure concentrated dumbassery was inevitable from the start.
>>
>>7756315

I see, thanks
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.