[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is listening to music while studying detrimental to your performance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: 534534534534534534.jpg (327 KB, 940x627) Image search: [Google]
534534534534534534.jpg
327 KB, 940x627
Is listening to music while studying detrimental to your performance in studying?

I heard that music with vocals is detrimental and instrumental music actually enchances your performance. What do you know about this?
>>
>>7751269
Who is this semen demon?
>>
>>7751269
Music with vocals is distracting anon. You try to read a book while you've got someone singing a catchy tune in the background and you're gonna have a bad time. It's like trying to count something while you've got someone yelling out random numbers at you (or even worse, counting something else out loud).
>>
>>7751269
I like to study in complete silence.
However, this is often hard to attain and so I find it helpful to listen to music since it removes any outside sources of noise. I found that the best kind is relaxing and repetitive piano music, such as Satie's Gymnopédies, since it's a nice but non-distracting background.
Songs, on the other hand, are way too distracting for me; at times I risk to start singing along instead of keep studying.
>>
>>7751269
When I study and listen to music I cannot learn anything. This is specially true when I'm reading the proofs the books offer. It is impossible to follow the logical steps of the proof if you are not a 100% focused on it.

However, whenever I reach the problems section of the book I always start listening to music. Now that the information is not outside but inside my brain I don't need to worry about being distracted.

However, when the question is to write a proof then I pause the music.

I think it is just the fact that trying to read some words, while listening to other words just fucks up the way you interpret the words. That would explain why when writing proofs I can't listen to music. Most proofs are walls of text broken down by one or two equations so I need to formulate my sentences very carefully and listening to someone singing just hinders this process.
>>
>>7751269
Music can help I'm distracting environments but not anything like pop or dance crap.
>>
Norwegian Black Metal study master race, who else?
>>
>>7751288
Reading proofs is not enough. You have to do them yourself
>>
>>7751333
That is what the problems are for. There are always a couple of 'prove that...' problems.

And I do have to read the proofs, real mathematicians took a lot of time researching to get the proofs that made the fundamentals for that subject. If I don't read them then I won't know anything, much less how to prove them myself.
>>
>>7751310

Representing.
>>
>>7751310
i like to listen to burzum's dauði baldrs while i think
>>
>>7751269
I tested this on myself and I found

1. Vocals in native language destroy productivity except on extremely menial tasks.

2. Music hits productivity quite badly (30%) on more demanding tasks and the hit is worse the more demanding the task.

3. A noisy office is worse than non-vocal music so if you are condemned to work in a toxically noisy environment there can be a gain from putting on headphones.
>>
who /00spartyraphits/ here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO476kD-k0g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL2txMU50CI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70o_F6Yo7ck
>>
>>7751269
Everyone's different. However, I find this to be true for me. Though listening to instrumental stuff is only good if I'm just going through motions and/or doing light stuff. The heavier the material, the more silence is better.
>>
Fast paced music and music with lyrics is distracting. Slower music with no lyrics is good.

But if any of the music unwinds you enough to actually study when you generally wouldnt, id say bite the bullet and have a quick review when you're finished.
>>
File: watermelon2.jpg (28 KB, 550x367) Image search: [Google]
watermelon2.jpg
28 KB, 550x367
>instrumental music actually enchances your performance

Fuck this site, just test it yourself ya dumb cunt
>>
>>7751310
I listen to black metal a lot, but not just Norwegian black metal!

On topic, I used to think that I studied best in complete silence, but I've found recently that my study sessions are more efficient and less stressful if I put on music, strangely enough.
>>
>>7751280
You know, some of us can actually tune shit out.
It's not hard, you're just dumb.
>>
>>7751310
ma nigga

I usually need music to motivate me while studying and doing hw. I can listen to any music and still focus well be it black metal, tech death, instrumentals, softer music, etc. I kind of tune out vocals in my music, so I never find them distracting.
>>
I always had this weird thing when doing my mathematics/physics coursework back in university in which I'd essentially do problems while thinking of something completely else. For example, I remember taking my Electrodynamics final, but the entire time I would have imagined conversations with this girl I like or whatever fantasy would happen to take my mind away. It was always sort of weird. Somehow my mind could handle getting it all done, though.

As for relating this go the OP, I used to listen to all sorts of shit while studying and doing coursework. In the same vein, I'd somehow be able to have my mind be in two different places at once even when I was tweaking on adderall like some shit.
>>
>>7751843
>lol I'm attention deficite, so smart
>>
I've always used instrumental over vocal for studying.

Zero music, 3 blank walls, and some white noise have always been best though.

I know that when there are vocals, my mind tends to drift and follow the lyrics and have a conversation of sorts with them. If there's no vocals, the listening experience is more passive. But I can never study and appreciate music at the same time.
>>
>>7751384
even vocals in a foreign language are distracting
>>7751398
I wonder what happened to most of these people, I wonder how many are dead
>>
Any study environment that is different to the environment where you'll be trying to recall the knowledge will be detrimental. If you're studying for an exam you should try to replicate exam conditions as best you can.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.