[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are humans the ONLY race in real life capable of communicating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
Why are humans the ONLY race in real life capable of communicating in a semi-intelligent manner? Why didn't another species evolve to be just as smart/smarter than us?

How fucking cool would it be to NOT be the smartest race on the planet anymore?

I just feel like there's something missing in the world, honestly. Something we need.

Think of how cool it would be to understand another being by simply communicating with them.

Sure, people talk to their dogs, but that's nowhere near the level I'm talking about.
>>
We killed them all before burning the books and changing history.
>>
>>7750964
In the future when Indochinamen best race, only race, suggesting white elves, dwarves and negroes as anything but fantasy creatures or rare medical abnormalities will be laughable and will cost 500 model citizen points.
>>
>>7750959
>How fucking cool would it be to NOT be the smartest race on the planet anymore?

Not cool at all.
They would exterminate us or make us their pets.
>>
>>7750959
I mean >http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/chimps-outplay-humans-in-brain-games1/

Chimps are technically more intelligent.

>Think of how cool it would be to understand another being by simply communicating with them.

>Sure, people talk to their dogs, but that's nowhere near the level I'm talking about.

Wtf do you mean? I understand when my dog has to use the bathroom. Wtf do you mean?
>>
>>7750982
i.e. my dog's able to convey a point in a more understandable manner than the OP can.
>>
>>7750982
>http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/chimps-outplay-humans-in-brain-games1/
they have better short term memory
chimps can't ask questions
they can only be taught.

Or maybe you're a woman and you think being intelligent = having a good memory
enjoy your history classes.
>>
Chimps
Gorillas
Apes and monkeys in general
Dolphins
Killer whales / orcas
Ants
>>
File: images (3).jpg (5 KB, 215x235) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
5 KB, 215x235
>>7750989
Intelligence = one's ability to manipulate matter? Besides, my dog can ask a question by sitting and asking for food.

People understand via observing. Animals observe.

"How the fuck do I get out of this yard?"
"Dig a hole."
>>
>>7751002
>implying they understand and just aren't executing dig.exe
>>
>>7751004
>Implying math isn't also a .exe
>>
>>7750997
and octopi
>>
File: Orangutan and tiger.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Orangutan and tiger.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>7750959

>Why are humans the ONLY race in real life capable of communicating in a semi-intelligent manner?

They aren't. Orang Utans and Chimps are really good at sign language. Whales and Dolphins have a language of their own.
>>
>>7750980
But what would the world be like if they didn't? What if humans actually had a partner in life?
>>
>>7751013
What if they put us in zoos due to their superior mastery of resources?
>>
>>7751012
They are not "really good at sign language". They can hardly string together simple sentences. They can learn some signs to represent simple things (water, duck) but they aren't capable of using abstract notions and don't actively initiate conversations when they have learnt some sign language.

Whales and dolphins are similar: can use some signs but it's not a language.

I guess you can call it semi-intelligent, but it's not even close to human communication.
>>
Humans are a species, not a race.

>How fucking cool would it be to NOT be the smartest race on the planet anymore?

Ask niggers.
>>
>>7750959

how do you know we are? I mean... for sure
>>
File: 1448829718225.jpg (94 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1448829718225.jpg
94 KB, 960x960
>>7751016
Or let's pretend that other smart species wouldn't be inherently evil like whites, how about that :^D
>>
>>7751012
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

not grill or homo btw.
>>
>>7750959
We're a violent and competitive species that is wired to do everything, become everything, and control everything. It's what we are, and it's what we do. What you're suggesting would only lead to large scale conflict. I doubt we would settle into an equilibrium state with an opposing force of comparable ability. Mutually assured destruction certainly works, but if it was another species outright I have a feeling we would never let it rest.

Unfortunately it's no longer possible. Look how long it took us to develop our culture, language, philosophy, etc. Another species would never have a chance to gain a foothold. It would likely require numbers and take it too long to come to understand itself. Its only chance is taking and reverse engineering our technology. But it's still stuck in a catch 22. There are a lot of us. Mechanical superiority, even if both physical and intellectual, is insufficient. Hiding isn't an option either.

Being human on this planet is net terrible. Being another animal is being born in hell.

>Something we need.
I think there's something fundamental wrong with us. We're broken, or deficient somehow. Wouldn't shock me if we were engineered by some other being, but deliberately crippled. Only issue is for what? They'd be a very shitty engineer. Maybe you couldn't truly know the mind of the creator.

>Think of how cool it would be to understand another being by simply communicating with them.
I'd likely alter elephants, orangutans, black bears, and dolphins. Open the door and share with them the misery and intrigue of being like us.
>>
>>7752333
>http://www.theonion.com/video/scientists-successfully-teach-gorilla-it-will-die--17165
>>
>>7752356
Lol.
>>
>>7750989
I teached a whale to jump out of its tail
>>
>>7750959
when will this
>aliens are not real, insert idea without including them into the equation meme
end
protip: aliens are actually real
>>
>>7750959
>Why are humans the ONLY race in real life capable of communicating in a semi-intelligent manner
Daily reminder that we still have no idea what the extent of dolphin communication capabilities are.
>>
>>7752333
yes i think were broken as well but i think thats because we have all this power being technology, systems and the capability to ask why more than other species, we still cant control this power properly and maintain a balance in world.

i think the reason we cant control this power is that we have a heightened intellect but it is still subject to animal instincts, insecurity or loss, we still dont have a full understanding of how nature works and thats what we need if we want to maintain a equilibrium in nature, were like children with guns not knowing the consequences they can have and thats how you could say that were broken, were just in the middle of it, we only understand half of the picture.

but eventually will ascend and thats the only path i think we can take because if we dont we will destroy the system of nature and us with it, thats if another species doesn't put us in our place first.
>>
>>7752491
Then i will ascend
>>
>>7750980
>Or make us their pets
That give me a boner
>>
We can interract with our environment well. We can travel as a group well. We have the ability of introspection and empathy. However, it takes about 14 years for our offspring to be fully independent (before aggricultural revolution).

Thus, we evolved to speak complex languages.

Primative languages probably sounded like simplified latin, native american, swahili and Akkadian.
>>
>>7751002
You are stupid.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.