[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (162 KB, 901x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
162 KB, 901x600
What do i need to study in uni to get into superconducting electronics?
>>
Electrical engineering or physics, depending on where you want to go, really.
Isn't that obvious? Apply for random internships at large companies each year. Doing potentially pleb shit for 2 months is worth being able you worked there previously. (I'm doing two small jobs in that field atm.)
>>
>>7750446
What do you mean by "simulation" of relativistic effects? Isn't it just an experiment of it?
>>
>>7750446
well i want to make CPUs that utilize superconductors for faster switching. does EE go into CPU architecture?
>>
>>7750434
Intro Physics
Gen Chem
Circuits
Electronics
Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics
Electrodynamics
Quantum Mechanics
Solid State Physics

Then read

Foundations of Applied Superconductivity by Terry P. Orlando and Kevin A. Delin
Introduction to Superconductivity (Dover Books on Physics) by Michael Tinkham
Principles of Superconductive Devices and Circuits by Theodore Van Duzer and Charles W. Turner
>>
File: POTD-Emma-Stone_3305783k.jpg (86 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
POTD-Emma-Stone_3305783k.jpg
86 KB, 858x536
>>7750450
Here they mean using superconducting materials as substitute in experiments proposed long ago that would in principle involve moving object close to the speed of light.
E.g. given that obviosuly

[math]\sum_{n=1}^\infty n^3 = -\frac{1}{4!}B_4 = \frac {1} {120} [/math],

you can move mirrors fast to generate a force field from the vacuum in quantum electrodynamics

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v479/n7373/full/nature10561.html

There is also another sense in which people now simulate physics theories using those nano-devices. A guy I work with heads at simulating quantum gravity effects on a quantum computer, physical system that are close to the stuff people now tinker with in the labs.
>>
>>7750434
Woah a physchem thread.

Physical Chemistry.
>>
>>7750472
can this be taught with a mechanical engineering program?
>>
File: 1445036791442.gif (4 MB, 375x346) Image search: [Google]
1445036791442.gif
4 MB, 375x346
what if i want to study superconducting electronics, multijunction photovoltaics, holographic displays, electromagnetic refrigeration, electroactive polymers, AND nanowire batteries? what one degree would cover this? i was once told Material Science but that's not accredited as an engineering degree so would i be boned in a lot of career paths later on?
>>
>>7750500
Physics degree and try to work with profs with micro/nanofab facilities or access to them. Make buddies with their colleague (they will always have one) in chemistry with air-free apparatuses (ideally gloveboxes) to cover a lot of the useful fabrication techniques. A lot of these things share at least one thing among them from having to work in cryogenic conditions, a clean room or without oxygen.
>>
>>7750522
now there's an engineering physics program at my uni that has such a thing, i think it's called a Chemical Vapor Deposition Chamber. either that or something else. the prof introduced me to the program a while back and discussed specializations, and said that later into the program you'd be designing your own ICs and print them, and that in graduate studies you'd deal with solar cell stuff.

would an Engineering Physics degree expose me more to the CVD fab in this context? or am i mistaken? he said that in the final year you'd have to choose between getting your degree with a specialization in EE or Electronic Engineering.

I ask this because i always thought that a physics degree would be more research analysis rather then experimentation, but now that i think about it that's kind of retarded to think.
>>
>>7750564
Many physics departments have as much as 1/3 to 1/2 of their faculty running solid state or nanotech labs. Either physics or engineering physics is what you want to study. An engineering program may be more likely to connect you with an industry internship if you are interested in working in production, sales, or something less sciencey straight out of undergrad; physics will make it easier to directly connect with research labs. But the difference in these things is minor.
>>
>>7750564
EE or EE, wtf?!
>>
>>7750575
Yeah. I think it's Computer Engineering but not necessarily computer oriented, just IC fabricating and shit. i'm not too sure...i'm scared ;-;
>>
>>7750571
if i did a Msc in Physics after getting a Beng in EE, could I apply to be an RA for each of these areas? what kind of criteria must i meet?
>>
Physics in undergrad.

In grad school go electrical engineering if you want to make useful shit or physics if you want to spend thousands of hours in a clean room to make a negligible contribution to basic research.
>>
>>7750711
im trying to get a grip on being able to apply research in multiple areas that utilize superconductors, be it SQUIDs, RQL circuit design, photovoltaics, and so forth, so i'd just wnat the ability to learn enough and be accredited to do R&D like an engineer would, but with the knowledge set of solid state and condensed matter physics pertaining to these areas. electroactive polymers isn't as big of a factor but i do want to work on that area. someone here once told me to try rotaxane research but it seems way too infant.
>>
>>7750711
how can you go EE if you have a physics undergrad, don't you need to be accredited?
>>
>>7750564
Don't know how it's in Europe but the "applied" physics folk in the states dick around with fabrication more. Realistically if you're motivated and within either field the title isn't as important.
>>
>>7750764
no the way it works is you need your B. Eng accredited degree to obtain your P. Eng license, but you don't need a B. Eng degree to enter M. Eng programs, M. Eng programs are not accredited.
>>
>>7750493

Why do you want to do MechE?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.