[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do some smart high school students want to do research?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1
File: st bernard.jpg (42 KB, 378x500) Image search: [Google]
st bernard.jpg
42 KB, 378x500
Note: I am talking about NON-AMERICAN countries where you can major in Medicine, Law, etc as an UNDERGRADUATE)

Some high school students who got extremely good grades in their finals (i.e. good enough for Medicine in non-American countries) decide to major in stuff such as Physics, Anthropology, Linguistics, Chemistry, etc. in the hope of doing research in the future. Why would they pick that?

>If you don't have anything published, your funding will be cut and you will have no income
>There is no guarantee that you will like research and most people hate if over time
>Jobs are meant to be monotonous, not fun
>They can easily major in Medicine, Law, Actuarial Science, Dentistry science, etc and switch to research later on or do a Master's degree in their area of interest
>The market for researchers is very bad at the moment - it is 100+ people competing for a tenured professorship post and it will not be you getting that job
>Being an adjunct professor sucks as all the contracts are short-termed
>It is hard to even secure a mortgage with such unstable employment
>If you can't find any professorship job, it is hard to find anyone else to hire you as they know that you will go back to academia as soon as you find another professorship job, so chances are you will either end up unemployed or working at McDonalds during this time
>>
>>7750375
>Why would they pick that?

Because they like it. Are you by chance autistic?
>>
>>7750390
I am not autistic.
Who the fuck would like research though? Earning minimum wage with no guarantee of papers being published is not fun. It's all common sense.
>>
>>7750375
I'll tackle your points 1 v 1

>They probably don't know this
>They don't know this either but if they are actually smart and graduate with honors and shit they can still get jobs easily
>That's what you would tell yourself because your job does not satisfy you.
>They are not stupid enough to do something they don't like for easy money or whatever you see in law or medicine.
>They probably don't know this but if they are brilliant then they can overcome this.
>true but they don't think about this so early.
>ditto
>Not always and not every 'smart' high school graduate will end up going for the PhD. A lot of them will become underperforming or uninterested in undergrad and realize that being smart is not for them.

What is wrong with some people aiming higher?
A doctor can save a thousand lives and no one will remember him because all he did was memorize a procedure that a researcher before him came up with.

If you do research in Physics and/or Chemistry then you will be remembered forever.

And this is even worse for people in law. Who even cares about them?

In other words, people who are smarter than you want personal satisfaction and glory and you can't comprehend this because you know you will never be outstanding in your life, that is why you say shit like

>it will not be you getting that job

You don't know that and that shows how buttblasted you are about people aiming higher than you did.
>>
>>7750391
>I am not autistic.
So why do you post this same thread multiple times a week even when you get the same answers retard
>>
>>7750392
Haha all your points are like "they don't know X" - just goes to show how these high school kids are morons.
>If you do research in Physics and/or Chemistry then you will be remembered forever.
And what are the chances of them discovering a breakthrough and being remembered in years to come? Close to zero?
>>
>>7750393
What? This is like the second time I've ever posted on /sci/?
>>
>>7750394
What the fuck is wrong with you?

Of course they don't know that shit, they are high school kids. When they go to college and start asking their professors about it then they will know. Then they will take an informed decision and most of them will not go to the PhD level.

>Close to zero?
Indeed but if you are a doctor then it is not close to 0, it is LITERALLY 0.

Right now I can name various physicists and mathematicians that are alive today. Ones that I admire. I can name even more mathematicians and physicists that have died.

I can't even name my fucking doctor, I only know what hospital he works at.

However, most of the mathematicians and physicists I can remember are actually part of popular culture, everyone remembers them. The only doctors that kind of share the same spotlight are doctors in the old times that did research despite being doctors. Like that british guy who researched what was causing cholera in London. And I only know him was 'that british guy'.

But that is not the point really. If you are really smart then the academic lifestyle will be appealing to you. However, a lot of the smart asian kids back in high school ended up going to med school.

What does this mean?

This means that you can't simply lump every smart person you know into a big group and just assume that they are retarded for some arbitrary reason.

But seriously now, are you jealous of smart people? Were you rejected at grad school for physics in the shittiest of the shittiest state schools so you don't even have a chance of even touching academia? Is that why you are here?
>>
>>7750375
Because they don't think through? They've always been told that research was the pinnacle of scientific fields, when that's absolutely fucking wrong? Because they're misinformed?
>>
>>7750396
>it is LITERALLY 0.
Doctors can do research too. Many doctors won the Nobel Prize.
>>7750397
Yeah I get that impression too, but surely someone will not be that retarded?
>>
>>7750395
You've done this same thread multiple times on multiple boards and end up with the same responses. Stop posting.
>>
>>7750407
Nah. Anyway, most people here suggested that these smart high school kids are idiots who have no idea how tough research is and I am starting to agree with them.
>>
A world where every smart person is a lawyer or doctor. That's fucking horrifying.
>>
>>7750413
They can pick Engineering, Law, Actuarial Science, Accounting, etc.
>>
This thread again?
>>
ok, I am (was) one of those "smart" kids that you talk about. I'll tell you how it went for me personally and how the things are going "in general" for the "smart" kids in my country (Romania).
Here, you can't just "major" in something. You chose your career path right out of HS. So if you want to do law stuff, you go for 4 years to the law school and after that you do some other shit, depending on what you actually want to do (I've actually thought about doing law and becoming a prosecutor to fight corruption). For becoming a doctor, you have to go to the med school for 6 years. I've actually wanted to do this and I still wonder if I did the right thing picking physics. There is an entrance exam based on anatomy and organic chemistry/physics. For engineering, you've got to study a programe for 4 years. Other disciplines (physics, chemistry) have 3 years undergrad programs. I was very undicided between chemical engineering (I was good at chemistry and it's pretty easy, I could have spent the first year playing video games and partying, as I already knew most of the stuff) and medicine, but went for physics because I want something to really challenge me. Our programe is very intensive if done properly. There are plenty of students that went to do their masters at prestigious unis and students in higher years that had research internshipts at CERN/Dubna, As for local research, the things are pretty good, the faculty is located near Bucharest were they are building ELI-NP and there are already a bunch of research institutes.
That being said, most of the "smart" kids don't chose this route. The truly brilliant ones (Internationla Olympiads and such) mostly go to study in UK/USA, and the "normal smarties" fight over the best unis in the country for medicine/computer engineering. The "normies" just go for shit like law and Econ related stuff .
>>
>>7750498
I don't believe you.
>>
>>7750502
what part?
>>
>>7750375
Being an American makes me sad. :(
>>
>>7750504
As in you guys ended up with proper jobs.
>>
>>7750506
well, it depends on each person. There are a bunch of weak students, they'll probably end up teaching kids in the 6th-8th grade (as for teaching HS you need a master's) or with jobs unrelated to physics, but if you are smart you can do some part time research while doing your master's and earn nice money for a 21 years old guy.
>>
>>7750510
And do you regret your choice?
>>
>>7750550
I haven't even finished my first semester, so I can't really say. But yeah, sometimes I wish I'd taken the easy engineering route or to be in med school
>>
>>7750375
you make this thread every week
>>
>>7750717
And so?
>>
>>7750717
/thread
>>
>>7750375
>>7750391
>>7750395
>>7750408

The responses you get every time you post this stupid ass thread are like >>7750390. FUCKING SURPRISE, PEOPLE HAVE PASSIONS AND WANT TO CULTIVATE THEIR INTELLIGENCE AND PUSH THEIR FIELD FORWARD!

It's retarded. You always sound like you hate your job and you only want money and last time you posted something absolutely retarded like "you shouldn't do what you love because jobs are meant to be boring". You are fucked up.
>>
>>7751590
>you shouldn't do what you love because jobs are meant to be boring
This is true though. Look
http://www.ryot.org/gallup-poll-70-americans-disengaged-jobs/376177
>>
>>7751605
the fact that you don't understand how retarded you're being is appalling. how the fuck do you go from

>70% of people dislike their jobs

which is a sad state of affairs, to

>everyone is meant to dislike their job and should not try to do something they like

which is a terrible, defeatist attitude? 30% is quite nice to hear, considering so many people go into high paying jobs they hate already because of mindsets like yours.
>>
>>7751613
See responses in
http://archive.4plebs.org/adv/thread/16592175/#16592175
>>>/trv/1063967
Doing something not moneywise is fucking stupid.
>>
>>7751633
nothing there is of any substance or relevance other than someone saying the exact same shit you're trying to push which I already replied to. stop.

the fact that you're a jaded, greedy, fucked up person doesn't mean everyone is.
>>
>>7751640
>nothing there is of any substance or relevance
Prove it! Those people gave good reasons as to why pursuing your interest is bad
>>
>>7751649
what the fuck are you talking about? there's a couple of unreasoned, ambiguous one-liners like "don't do it if you're not sure about it". what the fuck am I supposed to prove? prove them wrong? fuck off with spamming your jaded shit over and over
>>
>>7751656
"Have an actual profession like medicine or law and do art on the side. You'll have plenty of moolah to facilitate your hobby then." is not ambiguous. Same for "Pharmacists make a lot more money than teachers do. Why not work as a pharmacist for a few more years, get some contacts in a local university and try teaching courses there? High school teachers have it pretty rough for the most part."
>>
>>7751660
>unreasoned [it assumes your jaded-ass mindset that money is more important than enjoying what you do]
>what the fuck am I supposed to prove? prove them wrong? fuck off with spamming your jaded shit over and over
>>
>>7751666
These people gave good reasons as to why pursuing your interest is shit!
>>
>>7751667
are you 12? there isn't a single reason in >>7751660. it's just "why don't you go get money?"

i'm convinced you're fucking with me here. you can't be this retarded. so that's all for the time being.

do consider killing yourself before posting this thread again
>>
>>7751670
There is another reason here:
>>>/trv/1063967
"High school teachers have it pretty rough"
All jobs are stressful, so why not find one which pays more? Plus if I am wrong, no one will agree with me.
>>
OP is an idiot
>>
>>7751927
/thread
>>
>>7752022
true
>>
this thread again?
>>
>>7750375
Why do you create these threads so often? What kind of answers do you want?
>>
>>7750375
Because it is their passion. They love what they study.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.