[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone know what a prion is? Science is unsure, and I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: 1427041979704.jpg (53 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1427041979704.jpg
53 KB, 512x512
Does anyone know what a prion is?
Science is unsure, and I'm wondering if anyone here really knows what a prion is.

The wikipedia explanation is not a good one, its labeled as a folding protien, but theres much more to it than just that.

Anyway, are prions the most dangerous threat on earth?
Can anyone share some insight?

I wonder about the effects that prions can have on oceanic species, or in any other ecosystem we have no direct control of.
>>
>>7750249
>Science is unsure

What are you even talking about? They know what prions are and wikipedia's explanation is correct
>>
>>7750249>>7750258

science does not give certainty, since science is built on induction
>>
>>7750258

really?
the explanation is basic and really only covers the "infectious" effect

its not just a chemical chain reaction, there more to it

do you know what a prion looks like, or how it actually behaves in the 'wild'?
it's actually a virus, but a much different species of virus

but it really scares the shit out of scientists because prions are much more advanced. lots of top secret testing has been done with them. and they are pretty much a highly evolved virus. something which might not be from earth, or something which simply is much smarter, much more advanced for whatever other reason which may or may not be natural.

there is really much the wikipedia article will not cover. and the subject is very hush-hush

but the circumstances of what cultivated a prion also may not make any sense.
the chemical environment responsible for mad cow disease doesn't seem logical.
nothing seems logical on how certain prions came to be
>>
File: 1346006699887.png (476 KB, 672x541) Image search: [Google]
1346006699887.png
476 KB, 672x541
>>7750267
>All this bullshit

They're proteins. They came into existence just like every other protein on earth, by chance.
>>
>>7750249
>what a prion is
prion = protein infection
it's a broken protein
>>
>>7750276

>he doesn't know what a virus is
>proteins have a mind of their own
nigga u retarded

but anyway, just so you guys know, prions are actually the worst threat on earth
its worse than ISIS, its worse than iran with nukes, its worse than the ebola virus becoming airborne

the worse moment in the history of mankand was the madcow disease outbreak
you idiots really dont know how prions can effect other species and really fuck things up. there is no stopping them.
right now, the current species of prion we know about would be totally devastating to oceanic life, which would in turn cause a domino effect of many other things. there is not another virus or any thing on earth which can do something like this. and in case you were wondering, yes, the current prions we know about can effect fish. they just haven't "found" their way into the ocean yet.

let me put it to you idiots this way
we dont know what they can do. they can literally decide to mutate and just do whatever the fuck they want. they are really advanced enough to do something like that.
their "personality" seems docile, but we really dont know anything about them. there might be different species, or hostile prions yet to visit us. or anything goes really.

there is nothing on earth worse than a prion
its more lethal than humans
>>
>>7750297
>being dropped on your head as a child
>>
>>7750298

DAMN BRO U GOT ME XDDD

fucking retard
>>
>>7750297
What the fuck are you even going on about?

Madcow isn't even that bad. If all the cows in the world were somehow infected, we would just change diets.

Is this some kind of troll where you act like a fucking conspiracy nut and make up stupid shit?
>>
>>7750301
You have to be 18 to post here
>>
>>7750297
fuck off, do not reproduce, and kill yourself
>>
>>7750302
>>7750304
>>7750305

epic trol u so good

does anyone here like mudkips?
>>
>>7750313
Nice autism
>>
File: 1370320139461.jpg (15 KB, 299x293) Image search: [Google]
1370320139461.jpg
15 KB, 299x293
>>7750313
Looks like we're done here
>>
I used to do some molecular modeling of prions. I was effectively a codemonkey, but from what I understand a prion is a misfolded version of a normal protein. In other words, they contain the same elements and chemical bonds, but bent into a slightly different shape. Somehow, they can also cause other normal proteins to assume their non-standard shape, and eventually fuck some shit up in the cell, as the misfolding changes how they interact with various other proteins. People don't have a very good understanding of how exactly this propagation of the misfolding works. I suspect that it's a more common phenomenon than people realise, but that most prions have no harmful effect.

When I worked on them, we were mainly exploring whether glycans (aka smallish carbohydrate molecules) attaching to proteins could adequately explain the prion phenomenon. I'm not sure if anything ever came of it, as I was just an intern, and it was pretty boring stuff to work on (practically speaking - there was a lot of wrangling of protein data files etc).
>>
>>7750267
>>>/x/
>>
scientists cannot see prions
fortunately i can

it really is a complex virus that has no evolutionary or hereditary relationship with any known earth virus

there is a reason science cant actually see the virus, at least not officially. but im pretty sure the top secret elite science club knows more about this.

prions, ontop of being the most deadly virus on earth, are also the most extreme 'extremophiles'
they have fucking armor
>>
File: 1404865031291.jpg (43 KB, 592x448) Image search: [Google]
1404865031291.jpg
43 KB, 592x448
>>7750331
>Still posting this b8
>>
>>7750320

no, that is total bullshit
and you are just relaying wikipedia shit

those experiments are worthless, there is no need because no such chemical environment exists which supports that type of natural behavior
this is something which should be obvious to any real biologist

the experiment was pointless science world paycheck nursing fluff
>>
>>7750297
> species of prions

Nice try buddy, but you obviously have no idea what the fuck your talking about. Prions are like isomers of chemical compounds: they are protein chains that misfold. Anyone with any biology knowledge would know that form affects function and a misfolded protein can have adverse effects on any given organism they may appear in.
>>
>>7750336

yes they should be called viruses
but science only knows about the protein they fuck with

the protein itself is called a prion, i know, but im actually labeling virus itself by this name

it seems fitting for such an elusive deadly creature
>>
again i would like to remind you all that i actually know what a prion looks like

and if you could only see it
you would also know that it's real alien life
>>
>>7750335
>experiment
I guess you can call it a numerical experiment, but it was all in the computer, anon. You might have realised this if you actually read my post.

However, I agree with you that it was pointless. Can you show us any kind of evidence for your alien supervirus theory?
>>
>>7750340
Quick question, are you high?
>>
>>7750342

the evidence is in the lack of evidence
again, no such chemical environment exists which allows proteins to naturally behave this way (without external intervention)

OR
there would be a change of the chemical environment which would be extremely obvious

the
>>
File: 1370320139464.jpg (32 KB, 150x207) Image search: [Google]
1370320139464.jpg
32 KB, 150x207
>>7750344
>no such chemical environment exists which allows proteins to naturally behave this way
>>
>>7750344
>the

I fucking lost it right here /sci/. This is gold.
>>
>>7750355
Which the?
>>
>>7750348

alright look asswad
its a fucking little gremlin which looks like some shit i dont even know how to explain.. like a satanic porygon but with some hair in a few places and a spot which clearly resembles a single eye

and it goes around breaking these proteins open like nuts and it takes the juicy insides..

fuck asshole, believe me
im not making this shit up
>>
>>7750360

xdd
u the slickes nigger ever
>>
>>7750366
>its a fucking little gremlin which looks like some shit

Don't you talk about reyrey like that
>>
>>7750331
>there is a reason science cant actually see the virus

that is, because Mr. Science has sold his eyes as a consequence of low science fundings
>>
>>7750249
It's a protein that is folded in such a way that it causes other similar proteins to fold into the same form.

Why do you think it's so complicated or that people don't know what it is?
>>
>>7750267
Go back to /x/ anon
>>
>>7750302
>>7750305
>>7750366
Y U so madcow?
>>
File: 1448491537254.jpg (4 KB, 202x192) Image search: [Google]
1448491537254.jpg
4 KB, 202x192
>interesting thread
>turns out /sci/ is just retarded primitive cavemen rubbing their hands into shit and then rubbing their hands all over the place

please continue posting epic math threads with sub human asians
>>
>>7750249
The guy that discover prion recently released an article that prion are infectious and some neruodegenerative disease are infectious. So prion are infectious but we still don't know much about them. The little assholes were discover back in 1982.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.