[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wormholes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: wh.jpg (445 KB, 575x431) Image search: [Google]
wh.jpg
445 KB, 575x431
Well, /sci/, I'm trying to figure out how a wormhole would come into existence, but it's hard to wrap my head around.

Does it come from any specific physical characteristic e.g. a massive body or high speed?

Let's discuss what is known/unknown about wormholes
>>
Giant alien space worms burrowing through space
>>
>>7749665
its supposed to have enough energy to rip a hole in space-time
>>
>>7749666
>implying that it isn't our great, holy, and glorious giant flying spaghetti monster
>>
Bu-bu-bump
>>
>>7749665
what about black holes and their theorized counterparts white holes? this could prove the existence of this phenomenon.
>>
Quantum entangle two black holes.
>>
>>7750431
& how?
>>
>>7749665
>>7749665
I like the ER=EPR conjecture.

If thats true then to make a wormhole you would need to take a bunch of entangled matter, separate it, then collapse each clump into a black hole. The 2 resulting black holes will then form a wormhole.
>>
File: ss (2015-12-29 at 03.06.48).png (99 KB, 666x435) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-12-29 at 03.06.48).png
99 KB, 666x435
>>
>>7750499
just a small rant referring the last Point: why does everybody assume the the throaht of the worm hole you're suppossed to go through can cause tidal Forces on your vessel? i mean a singularity is the pure definition of nothing yo u no explain?!
>>
>>7750431
I'm not sure that's how quantum entanglement works. Quantum entanglement is between two individual quantum particles, not entire black holes worth of particles. Secondly, all quantum entanglement means is that we can know the spin of one particle if we know the spin of it's entangled partner. This property wouldn't allow for what is effectively teleportation.
>>
>>7749665
>I'm trying to figure out how a wormhole would come into existence, but it's hard to wrap my head around.

There is no known way for a wormhole to come into existence. All theoretically allowed manipulations of space-time preserve topology; creating a wormhole would require changing the topology.

The hope is simply that this breaks down at the quantum gravity scale and so you could somehow find a spontaneous planck-scale wormhole in the quantum foam and enlarge it.
>>
>>7749665
Nothing in Einsteins equations forbid wormholes so you could defenitly make a wormhole.
The problem is tho, that in order to make one you would need negative mass... Which is yet to be found
>>
>>7752429
No, you need negative mass to stabilize them once you've got them.

Within general relativity, there is no way to move from a space without a wormhole in it to a space with a wormhole in it.
>>
>>7752178
Ah, that makes sense, thanks for the clarification.
>>
>>7750540
The greater the curvature of space-time, the greater the Tidal forces.
>>
>>7752126
>entire black hole worth of particles
>black holes are singularities

Do you really think black holes are the size of planets?
>>
>>7753435
>>7752126

>implying he even knows what the theory of black holes is

Anon please, words like "singularities" are too much!
>>
>>7750430
underrated post
>>
i just think they are necessary in balancing the universe. nature's recycling.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.