[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Papers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (216 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
216 KB, 1024x1024
How does /sci/ view academic papers? I used to know a way to view most papers that cost money for free. You had to put some address in the URL before the actual page with the paper on it, then it was unlocked. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
>>
>>7749551
Why don't you just attend the fucking librarian's seminar? They show you how the portal works you insufferable neophyte.
>>
>>7749551
Go to a good university that gets you access to almost anything you want.
>>
>>7749555
This sounds so much cooler than what it actually is.
>>
I've heard of some Russian program that does it, but I've never used it
>>
Theres a subreddit where people like >>7749563 share papers with the common folk on request I believe.
>>
>>7749563
>needing to pay thousands every few months just to access information that should be made available to the public in the first place

This is why people are allowed to use fear mongering and misinformation to gain power and influence the public.
>>
>>7749563
Thank god torrents exist for papers.
>I must pay 100k a year to get access to information which legally should be free.
This is why the terrorist and communist win. You're a dipshit.
>>
File: 1431435711998.gif (510 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1431435711998.gif
510 KB, 300x300
>>7749551
find out the authors email and ask them to send you a copy of the paper, they almost always do in my experience
>>
>>7749754
>legally should be free
[citation needed]
>>
>>7749764
Most of those articles are government funded through taxpayer money. You're paying for it twice. The court records are free but there are companies which force you to pay to see those records. This was the whole big issue with Aaron Schwartz.
>>
>>7749764
I'd get a citation for you but it's locked behind a fucking paywall.
>>
Just go register for community college and never take any classes.

I've been using my community college login to get papers for years since I graduated. I could have done it for the $20 registration fee if I wanted.

I mean, I could use my university login too, but there's no need. They keep the accounts forever.
>>
>>7749748
>>7749754
Fuck you retards.

Why isn't food free? Why does academic's work need to be free, but I need to pay some fuckwitted farmer?

I hope you all get arrested.
>>
>>7749772
>Go to DMV
>WHY ISN'T MY LICENSE FREE I PAY TAX REEEEE...

Academia is subsidized by the state, it is not free and can not exist on tax money only. Your tax money buys you technological progress for society as a whole, you don't get to have academic papers for free.
>>
>>7750362
Academics don't get paid for papers.
>>
>>7750362
>>7750364
Buttblasted Ameritards. The research is funded by the government through grants. The researchers already got paid. That's what you Amerilard do not get.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.