[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chemistry Tips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: chemlab.jpg (11 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
chemlab.jpg
11 KB, 259x194
Hey /sci/ any tips or resources for an amateur chemist?
>>
Get a degree and then a job as a lab assistant.
>>
>>7748444

Johnny was real thirsty
Now Johnny is no more
For what he thought was H2O
Was H2SO4
>>
>>7748444
don't do it, you'll either kill yourself or kill someone else
>>
when you're identifying chemicals, avoid touching it.

my friend's face got burned becaude of hot acidic potassium permanganate (not literally hot)
>>
>>7748463
im stealing the shit out of this, m8
>>
>>7748444
This >>7748453 plus, notify your local law enforcement and neighbors what you are doing/making. Otherwise, they can do a raid based on rumors and you don't want that.
>>
>>7748444
1. when preparing acids/bases, always put the acid/base first into your container, only then add water (as fast as possible).
2. keep volatile solvents always in an airtight glass container, store them at a warm (preferably hot) place.
3. when handling hydrofluoric acid, never wear protective gloves. the acid can cause the glove to fuse with the skin of your hands.
4. you can make impressive crystals by adding concentrated nitric acid to a concentrated solution of sodium hydroxide.
5. lab work can be stressful for your hands. relax your hands by putting them in an ultrasonic cleaner for just 10 minutes per day. this will also prevent dry skin. hope this helps.
>>
When performing a reacion always know the properties of the reactants and the products, the possible helth hazards of working with them.
if you are planning on making explosives or something just don't, because you are going to get hurt.
You are not an experimented chemist so stick with simple stuff and simple reactions.
I'd say 4chan is not the best site for asking about amateur chemistry when there are plenty of forums on the internet dedicated to amateur chemistry(science madness).
I also think there is a book called "The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments" that might be interesant and might help you but i haven't read it.
>>
>>7749301
>5. lab work can be stressful for your hands. relax your hands by putting them in an ultrasonic cleaner for just 10 minutes per day. this will also prevent dry skin. hope this helps.
Can someone elaborate on this? Genuinely curious what this would do. Also, iodine and ammonia gives you better crystals, yo.
>>
>>7749301
Also, you can make really impressive crystals through this method.
To get this chemical, go to your local hardware store and find "Muratic Acid", add this to bleach, and get a straw or tube of some sort, and inhale through the straw, this will cause you to absorb the oxygen being sucked in into the mixture, and will cause the formation of incredible crystals, show this to your friends!
[spoiler]Fucking faggot[/spoiler]
>>
>>7749301
In case anyone doesn't realize all of these are the opposite of what you actually want to do. Be safe.
>>
File: flat_1000x1000_075_f.jpg (120 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
flat_1000x1000_075_f.jpg
120 KB, 1000x1000
>>7749301
This is a funny meme and all, but please if anyone is reading this, do the exact opposite of everything he says

>mfw imagining some innocent qt undergrad trying this
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.