[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Brainteasers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: basic coin problem with twist.png (14 KB, 777x322) Image search: [Google]
basic coin problem with twist.png
14 KB, 777x322
I've really discovered the satisfaction of casual brainteasers this holiday.

Have a go at this one - it requires only high-school level maths, but has a nasty twist to it that necessitates careful thought.

I can give you hints if you want.
>>
File: 1445202040279.jpg (39 KB, 272x348) Image search: [Google]
1445202040279.jpg
39 KB, 272x348
>>7747990
>exactly 3 times smaller
>doesn't even specify wether it references area, diameter or radius
>>
>>7747993
>>doesn't even specify wether it references area, diameter or radius
Are you high?
>>
>>7747994
I wish I would, atleast that would give me an excuse
the second I hit send I noticed what a fucking brainfart this was
brb commiting sudoku
>>
3+1=4
>>
>>7747993
>has a diameter exactly 3 times smaller
>doesn't even specify wether it references area, diameter or radius

k
>>
>>
>>7747993

Uh. Yes it does.

>"...a diameter exactly 3 times smaller than that of Coin B"

perhaps English isnt your first language, so ill elaborate.

It means:

>"The diameter of coin A is exactly one third of the diameter of coin B"
>>
>>7747996
don't commit sudoku, its extra hard in todays newspaper
>>
>>7747990
4 times. 3 from needing to roll to traverse the bigger circle, 1 from traveling around the circle.
>>
>>7747990
3 times?
>>
>>7747990
It's just 3 times. Radius is just pi*diameter.
>>
3 times, circumferences scale linearly with c=2pi*d so the circumference of B will be a three times of that of A
>>
File: 2u25124u.png (9 KB, 500x415) Image search: [Google]
2u25124u.png
9 KB, 500x415
>>
Big coin is stationary, so its 2(3)pi
small coin turns x number of times, so we can consider it 2(1)piX

6pi=2piX
3=X
>>
>>7748016
>>7748007
>>7748006
>>7748004

that is the obvious answer, and it is wrong.

like i said, it has a twist.
>>
>>7747990

coin A revolves 3 times about its own center, and 1 time about coin B's center.
>>
>>7748026
The answer is 4. Three rotations of its own, plus one around the axis of the central coin.
>>
>>7747990
Give us the answer then, OP
>>
Hm, did not consider the fact that the rotation around B counts.
>>
>>7748043

as many above me have said. But none of those explanations are intuitive IMO - let me try to explain it for the layman. This is how I did it, because i did not have the intelligence of the above posters who figured it out properly.

Imagine if coin B was infinitely small - it was a single point. Its diameter would be zero. According to the maths, the number of rotations A goes through should be 0, but if you imagine a coin rotating around a point it clearly would revolve once.

If you do a practical experiment with two of the samesize coins you have lying around you would expect the answer to be 1 rotation, but it is 2.

if when you expect 0 you get 1, and when you expect 1 you get 2, it follows that when you expect 3 you get 4.

The answer is 4. In case you are curious I spent about 40 minutes on this one because I am dumb.
>>
>>7747990
one and a half?
>>
>>7748050

Alternatively, you can just consider the motion of the smaller coin's center.

If you let the radius of the small coin be .5 and the radius of the large coin be 1.5, you know the coin's center must travel around a circle with a radius of 2.
>>
>>7747990
1. It rotates three times, but only one revolution. Earth doesn't do 365 revolutions a year.
>>
>>7748081
It rotates 4 times and does 1 revolution.
>>
>>7747997
this
>>
>>7748050
>>7748076
so the problem in fact says "hoy many revolutions around B did A go through", not "how many revolutions around itself does A go through", right?
>>
>>7747990
this is that "sat" question that nobody answered correctly

if the perspective is static and you are interested in whether the "A" is oriented legibly, the answer is 4.

but the original question specifies the diameter, so you can assume it is looking for an answer related to it's circumference, which is 3.
>>
File: 01.png (22 KB, 1225x681) Image search: [Google]
01.png
22 KB, 1225x681
The answer is four and pic related should take away any doubt.
>>
>>7748204
nope.

Define the problem more precisely or don't try to prove it.

Do you count to rotations of A around its center? Around B's center? Around something else?
>>
File: graph.png (3 MB, 1785x1221) Image search: [Google]
graph.png
3 MB, 1785x1221
>>7748204
I did this wrong at first by seeing how many circumferences of coin A fit along the edge of coin B. This would mean that the center of coin A is moving along the edge of coin B. If you position them so the coins edges are touching, the center of coin A has to travel 4r.
>>
>>7748227
The reference system is the one of the greater circumference which doesn't move. Once the little circle returned in its position at the top, a point on it has made 4 rotations around its centre.
>>
>>7748227
This.

"How many revolutions..."

Our galaxy spins around a bunch but we don't say that the earth undergoes more revolutions because of it. You assume it is relative to itself. 3 is the answer without specification.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.