[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible that some people aren't self aware but blend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: 1450756823044.jpg (48 KB, 418x498) Image search: [Google]
1450756823044.jpg
48 KB, 418x498
Is it possible that some people aren't self aware but blend in with the rest of us?

Pic related
>>
I mean some people just seem like vessels for propagation of memes, it seems like they have never in their life stopped to reflect on what they are doing or why they are doing it, which stands to reason that they may be completely self unaware.

Has there ever been a study which attempts to measure varying levels of self awareness, rather than just being a thing that you either have or don't have?

Research in to AI seems to suggest that self awareness is not necessary in order to pass as human.
>>
File: sheeple.png (46 KB, 376x401) Image search: [Google]
sheeple.png
46 KB, 376x401
>>
>>7744511
yes, because most of us aren't self aware most of the time imo.
>>
>>7744532
I've never seem that before, I really like it
>>
>>7744518
Blending in as human =/= self awareness. l don't really think they even related. Also, just because people don't SEEM to be asking questions about their lives, doesn't mean they aren't. l don't think you give people enough credit, even idiots
>>
>>7744532
This is one of those things were really smart people assume everyone thinks at their level, since they can't fathom other ways of thinking.

Not that dismissing everyone as a sheeple is a super complex thought, but I can't seriously believe that enough people drift off of auto-pilot often enough for that strip to occur.
>>
File: aware.jpg (56 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
aware.jpg
56 KB, 400x600
>>7744511
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie
>>
I think self-awareness is a pretty integral part of just having a functional human brain. How would you even form a memory or something without knowing your own place in the scene?
>>
>>7744511
What makes you think he's not far more self aware than you will ever be? I can guarantee you he is, clearly you still care about what others think about you, but don't mistake this for being "self aware", okay first-year college kid? Self awareness is far more than just "omg some random stranger might look at me longer than others or think I'm WEIRD or think what is he DOING, I'd better not do that and instead live my life ruled by what I think others might think about me!"

Guy in OP has the self awareness to not give a shit.
>>
There are plenty of times where I go around completely on auto-pilot and can picture myself appearing to not be self aware -- it's ironic that I am self aware about the perception I am giving of not appearing self aware at all. Its just the mood I am in sometimes.
>>
>>7744511

The Jorts with UF bag and Tebow tattoo put it over the top.
>>
>>7746107
Really I was thinking about it more from a perspective of contemplating the logic and significance of what you're doing, rather than how others may view it. I realize that there is nothing special about my personal tastes and so I shouldn't judge people on that alone, which is why trying to think about it from their perspective is necessary. If you think long and hard enough, I think you'll find that many seemingly benign behaviors in every day life can be reduced beyond just being a matter of personal taste, to real questions of logic and rationality.(see example in next post) Having said all that, though, I do recognize that much of what we call "just having fun" and not taking ourselves "too seriously" basically amounts to choosing not to think about the rationale of what we're doing too much in the interest of just enjoying the moment, no matter how ridiculous or irrational it is. Being irrational in the pursuit of happiness is a huge part of being human, and I don't consider myself an exception to this.

I do, however, wonder about people for whom the 'fun in favor of caution' has been taken to an extreme. I think most of us have a certain level of tolerance for pleasure vs irrationality; when the irrationality gets too great to bear, we listen to our rational side even though it means missing out on an immediate pleasure. Of course, exercising caution requires one to think introspectively about themselves, the significance of what they're doing and the impact it may have on their lives. Do those who seem to choose fun over rationality more than others have a limited capacity for introspection? I think it's a reasonable question.
>>
>>7746166
Example: I like X football team because I graduated from that college and remember football games fondly etc. I have fun when watching games and enjoy showing my support for my team. It's even more fun when they win. There are all sorts of emotional highs to be gotten from this, including brother-hood with other fans and being included in the group.

On the other hand, rooting for one team over another doesn't make much sense when you consider both teams have worked very hard, all members of each team are personally struggling to perform well and are probably all similarly good people with good intentions. Suggesting that one team is more deserving of a win than the other is sort of like suggesting that the ground you're standing is special just because you're standing on it.

Introspection, in this example, might lead to... continuing to root for "your team" in the interest of fun, but moderating your fervor in the interest of rationality. Never moderating your fervor in this example leads to people doing really questionable things (like attacking fans of the other team) which suggest that they have lost touch with reality (or their capacity to think about what they are doing and why they're doing it).
>>
>>7744518
And you'll find that everyone is not self aware. Just because you can reflect on what you're doing dose not mean you are sf-aware.
>>
self awareness is the key to AGI in my opinion
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 454x324) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 454x324
>>7744532
>le smug stick figure comics patronizing people patronizing people
*tips hat*
>>
>>7744511
Yes. They are the majority of shitposters on /sci/, and almost all of the posters on /pol/ and /b/

:^)
>>
>>7747934
h e y n o t a l l o f u s r l i k e d a t
>>
>>7746414
>AGI
>adjusted gross income
>>
>>7747589
Yeah I really hate these stupid comics. Especially that one which is called something like zxcv or something (its just a bunch of random letters). I can't even describe why I don't like them, I just really, really don't
>>
>>7746158
#Homos4Tebow
>>
>>7746166
I like your ability to synthesize these thoughts into your valid question. However self awarenees is not it.The point to its core that you're making is why do human beings make decision/exist in a way that is chosen however seems definitively irrational/detrimental/negative to their wellbeing or "condition" in anyway.

You're basing this on a psychological/cognitive phenomenon such as self awareness which is a severely abstract and fundemental understanding of said existence in relation to that existence itself.(knowing that your are alive, but understanding that this is because you have to be alive in the first place to realize such a thing and to furthermore understand that you such and such , and understand how you being part of such and such forms your understanding of your existence).
Humans don't base day to day decisions on the understanding of that as much as you may think.

The assertion of caution and rational thinking are far too different yet intertwined with the reaction of our brains and body to chemicals that elicit those reactions/emotions to be able to simply attribute lack of significant self awareness to that behavior.
My point is that human emotion and how that affects how you act and how you think cannot be attributed to a for more complex understanding of the abstract idea of existing (which is in definition of self awareness, since the acknowledgement can only happen if you understand that you exist in an intrinsic sense).

People live like zombies or exhibit irrational behaviors that attributed as positive due to chemicals (and therefore their dependency i.e dopomine,serotonin) simply because of biology and in term they articulate this in their mind with their choices/behaviors however this cannot be simply attributed to these chemicals as that level of cognitive understanding of their existence is not fully understood on how it comes about, or why humans are able to articulate this in their minds.

Good question though.
>>
>>7744511
Sure, if you consider niggers people.
>>
>>7749961
Stop pretending you don't know what it is. It doesn't make you look cool.
>>
Yes. Read Julian Jaynes' Origin of Conciousness.

He makes a strong case that there were protohumans who were essentially pure automaton, with no introspective awareness. But if you met one of them (and could communicate with them) they would seem pretty normal, maybe just a bit dumb.
>>
>>7750213
Know what is? I honestly don't remember the name of that comic. I know its something like zxcv (which is just me smashing my hand on the lower left side of my keyboard). Its a pretty random meaningless meme name whatever it is. The comics suck also, btw - all of them.
>>
>>7750448
I agree, but are you 12?
>>
I know I'm on /sci/ and this is a toxic place. But people usually only attack me here when I act smart. I'm not acting smart am I? Should I act a little stupider to make him go away?

>>7750457
duuuuurrrr hehehe 12 is a funny number see its is like -1/(1+2+3+4+...) = 12. see i know da mathzs
>>
>>7744511
Yes, we call them "women".
>>
>>7744511
>Is it possible that some people aren't self aware but blend in with the rest of us?

I am convinced that every CS major is actually a shaven monkey that has been taught English in a massive sociological experiment. There can be no other explanation for their total lack of cognitive abilities.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.