[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Planet Earth, I'm NASA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: Planet Earth. I'm NASA.png (2 MB, 1319x754) Image search: [Google]
Planet Earth. I'm NASA.png
2 MB, 1319x754
Planet Earth,

I'm NASA
>>
>>7744431
You have pretty big goals.
>>
>>7744431
I always hear about how astronauts are trained to the limits of human potential and they're supposed to be super fit and shit. However whenever I see them they just look like middle aged normal guys. What gives?
>>
>>7744463
try to beat an astronaut next time you see one
>>
What if somebody smuggled a gun on to the ISS. What the fuck would happen?
>>
>>7744502
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TP-82
>>
hi retard here

is it possible to simulate gravity in crafts like the ISS by using something like the spinning mechanism in the martian?

>pls dont tear me a new one, complete retard you know
>>
>>7744623
If they could, they probably would.
So, no.
>>
>>7744623
possible, the problem is getting the thing up there
>>
>>7744458
For humanity.
>>
>>7744463
they're very smart and collected. Astronauts are picked because they are extremely cool in stressful situations while having a BS in engineering/physical science, most of the time even PhDs. They have to be totally calm. Physically, they have to be totally normal, no defects, physically fit. They're obviously not going to be fucking body-builders. if you show any signs of mental instability, you're automatically never, ever going to be an astronaut as no agency would ever trust you to not snap in the insane adventure that is going to space.
>>
>>7744657
>Just a bachelors is sufficient.
>Not like body builders, totally normal is sufficient.
>Just as long as you're not crazy.

Sounds like pretty much any normal person who finished college can do it.
>>
>>7745267
most people can't handle the stress and psychological fuckery that astronauts go through, no, and they have to be very physically fit, which most people also aren't.
>>
>>7744463
Veteran astronauts scoop rookies with ripped bods for most missions I guess.

The guys in the OP look pretty strong though, you can see it by the bald guys forearms he has real functional strength, not pussy cosmetically inflated curlbro shit.
>>
>>7744509
Oh sheeiit, if I were ever gonna get to be an astronaut, I would make threats to the people on earth that I'm gonna shoot my friends here on spaceship if the president is not going to sign a paper of handing over the White House.
>>
>>7745279
Okay sure, but what about the lanky guy with bad posture on his right?
>>
Timestamp faggot
>>
>>7744623
Possible? Yes.
Feasible? Not really.

I am not a space engineering expert, but I imagine having a giant rotating thingie that takes up a fuckload of space and is a nightmare to maintain just for the sake of comfort is not worth it.
>>
>>7744623
Yeah spinning to create gravity is a real thing, however you'd need a fairly large gravity section to not have it spin ridiculously fast. They just didn't bother with one for the ISS since one of the main advantages of a space station is that you can do experiments in near zero gravity conditions.
>>
Hi NASA, I'm CIA.
>>
>>7744463
try feeding a bodybuilder in space
>>
>>7745527
this, food is expensive to bring up there, It's much cheaper to send people with lower metabolisms up rather than some meathead that needs >3000 calories a day.
>>
>>7745380

>sake of comfort

It would be very useful for preventing loss of muscle mass and bone density. It's definitely not just a question of comfort.
>>
>>7744623
Related question: How large would this thing need to be?
>>
>>7744458
For you
>>
>>7745677
To reduce precession forces to livable levels, a rate of spin of 2 rpm or less would be needed. To produce 1g, the radius of rotation would have to be 224 m (735 ft) or greater, which would make for a very large spaceship. To reduce mass, the support along the diameter could consist of nothing but a cable connecting two sections of the spaceship, possibly a habitat module and a counterweight consisting of every other part of the spacecraft. It is not yet known if exposure to high gravity for short periods of time is as beneficial to health as continuous exposure to normal gravity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_gravity
>>
>>7744431
How do I become an astronaut, /sci/?
>>
>>7745623
Well, also your need to eat is going to change: You do not need to stand. You can move 10's of meters by shoving yourself off of something--the force needed to lift a heavy book on Earth.

>>7745677
The equation for the acceleration thus provided is
a=v^2/r
Hypothetically it could be relativley small. However, when you are spinning around, there is going to be some disorientation from the coriolis effect.

We do not really have good data to say what is a good minimum gravity level for people to be comfortable, I have heard some suggestions that people should be fine at about 2rpm, but I am uncertain and I like citations.

We need, ideally, to do a variable rotation space station to explore the possibility of using this idea, it certainly would work, but we need to know how to use it.
>>
>>7746714
join the freemasons and be prepared to do what they tell you and lie lie lie lie lie lie lie lie lie lie lie lie. dont forget to lie. that's key, Did i mention that you have to lie and be a good liar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBhzRY6UuVA

http://www.today.com/popculture/buzz-aldrins-journey-moon-alcoholism-2D80555988

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106637066

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nasa-tapes-idUSTRE56F5MK20090720

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkDidNnslfk
>>
>>7745303
He's bending forward. Why do you suck so much at perspectives? I'll give it to that it's difficult to frame in that enironment, but he looks more fit than the average 22 year old male.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.