[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is going into materials science a waste of time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: serveimage.jpg (298 KB, 1004x1007) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
298 KB, 1004x1007
Is going into materials science a waste of time?
>>
>>7743109
You're on 4chan, your entire life is waste of time.
>>
>>7743112
Everyone's life is a waste of time, I just wanna make it less sufferable.
>>
>>7743109
how is material science a waste of time? you realize that it deals with improving almost every field of science and engineering right? from electronics to optics to transportation to architecture to medicine to etc, it has applications every fucking where. if anything it's the best choice of applying solid state and condensed matter physics but not being locked into an engineering field where you aren't really capable of working outside thresholds. i'm debating on switching from computer science to it just so i can get into superconductor and alltrope structures of nanowire batteries.
>>
>>7743109
No it's a valid field. We have one or two materials scientists working in our department. One of them is department chair. Guy is pretty cool.
>>
No please continue to your studies. I'm a mechanical engineer working for an auto supplier and would love having additional material scientists to help. Pls senpai
>>
Okay guys I'll continue with my program then.
>>
File: i like it.png (33 KB, 320x329) Image search: [Google]
i like it.png
33 KB, 320x329
tfw I'm a materials science junior who just found out he passed all his classes

>feels good man
>>
>>7743122
Without materials scientists we would have no space program. The combo of extreme forces vs extremes of temperature. Its a great science.
>>
From what I've understood from looking at statistics there doesn't seem to be a lot of money in it for your standard graduate. I don't really know what the job market looks like, if someone knows I'd love to hear it.

The subject itself is quite fun though. It sometimes feels like an inbetween of engineering and science, which can be good and bad.
>>
>>7743109
materials science is shit
studying solid-state physics is the holy grail.
heck we even lack of a real prof for solid state physics on my university because economy fucking steals all of them
>>
>>7743119
So you want to make it LESS sufferable? As in less bearable? Because you know that's what it means, right?
>>
>>7743109
Heard that the PhD programs are academic suicide as institutions would rather hire someone with a physics, EE or even chem degree to fill the professorships in such departments, and looking at the PhD distributions in noteworthy departments seems to corroborate.
>>
>>7743438
Lol wut. When you want to get into grad school to do Solid State physics you either roll into a PhD on physics or material's science.
>>
What's the difference between materials science and condensed matter physics?
>>
>>7743961

There is some overlap. I guess you could say condensed matter physics is broader and forms the theoretical background for materials science.
>>
>>7743984
So materials science is essentially condensed matter physics applied?
>>
>>7743998

That is oversimplifying it somewhat but it's broadly true. Materials science has a fairly broad spectrum of how applied it is, as do most fields.
>>
>>7743800
You can also have a material science undergrad degree then go into an EE or physics department to do solid state physics.

If you want to go to grad school to do anything related to material science though, I really hope you like slave lab work, because that's all you're ever going to do.
>>
Material science a nice sub branch of chemistry
>>
>>7744076
You bet your sweet cherry ass it is.
>>7743109
If you want to do MatSci then probably your best bet would be to do an undergraduate degree in chemistry, and try and get into some solid-state materials research that one of your professors is inevitably doing. Focus on getting research experience in synthesis and testing of some materials project. Myself I was working on photoelectric polymers during my undergrad and it was pretty fun.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.