[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Money spent on Science and Education
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 45645654.png (121 KB, 688x570) Image search: [Google]
45645654.png
121 KB, 688x570
Military: 54%
Education: 6%
Science: 3%

So, like does the military really need and use all that money or is it just some big ass money laundering scheme with some side projects for anti-terrorism and oil protection?

What the fuck happened in a world where science and education aren't the biggest things to be spending money on?

How do we change this? Seriously, how do we get Science and education to take up a larger portion of the pie?
>>
File: Fuck you.gif (1 MB, 460x294) Image search: [Google]
Fuck you.gif
1 MB, 460x294
Meh.
>>
I wonder what would happen if we took a big portion of the military budget and use it for something else
>>
>>7741898

A good chunk of the military portion, I'm sure, is being used for R&D. You have companies like Lockheed Martin developing Nuclear Fusion with the money they get from selling military tech.

Science is still in demand, it just needs to overlap with politics in order for it to get the funding for big projects.
>>
>>7741898
Fuck off dumb poli sci major.
>look at me I'm contributing to science!

In my field, one of the biggest players is AFRL. The work they do is golden.
>>
>>7741898
thats discretionary spending only. military spending makes up less than 20% of US national spending annually
>>
>>7741898
Where would all the people who work for the military work if you suddenly cut all the jobs? Where would tech development come from with no impetus to make it?

And then theres the fact that other countries dont just play nice, its harder and more expensive to regain lost capability than it is to retain it, and cutting all that funding would lose a lot of capability.

Before you and facebook warriors start going on about cutting budgets maybe you should learn something about military capability and operations
>>
>>7742625
>You have companies like Lockheed Martin developing Nuclear Fusion
And yet their product is nothing but a big joke.
>>
>>7742625
>A good chunk of the military portion, I'm sure, is being used for R&D

That is included in the science part not the military part.

>>7742627
I'm actually a farmer.

In my field, one of the biggest players is Monsanto. The work they do is golden rice.

>>7742629
>In public finance, discretionary spending is government spending implemented through an appropriations bill. This spending is an optional part of fiscal policy, in contrast to entitlement programs for which funding is mandatory.

Which makes it a worse travesty/

>>7742710
It is just a thought exercise.

Which you've already failed since you say it can't be done and are opting out. I'm asking you, you are not asking me. I'm not answering it for you.

>How do we change this? Seriously, how do we get Science and education to take up a larger portion of the pie?
>>
>>7741898
We could offer them an ultimatum: You give us science money, we'll give you guys the stuff you want.
Congress just passed CISA, but they passed it with a bill that gave NASA a shit ton of money.
>http://mic.com/articles/130690/congress-new-budget-for-nasa-is-huge-and-secretly-contains-hated-spying-bill-cisa#.bIBLXauny
Perhaps we could convince them to give the NSF a similar amount, and in exchange, they can pass SOPA/PIPA.
>>
>>7741898
that graph is wrong:
http://qz.com/580859/the-most-misleading-charts-of-2015-fixed/
>>
>>7742915
LOL That isn't the same chart. Also, we've already covered that it is discretionary spending.... because you know, it says that in the image.

The image you are citing from that website has had the text changed to mean something other than the "discretionary spending" the image originally had been labeled.
>>
>>7742944
oh, sorry. you are right. didn't even read the pic before posting...

you can literally thank obama for starting at least 2 wars, overthrowing >4 govts and bombing >6 countries after painting himself as a pacifist or something.
of course your country has never stopped messing with other countries, so might aswell try to change the political culture there, otherwise nothing will change.
>>
>>7742868
Nah man, not worth it, i need my internet piracy
>>
>>7742992
>>7742868
They literally can not take that away from you at all unless you let them. The tech is already out there. Even countries who have cut themselves off from the outside world including the internet still have pirate internet functioning.

Just remember. When you are part of something that allows you to have "freedoms" and "rights" it means you really don't have any freedom or rights at all. They can take anything they want away from you when you are part of that system.
>>
>>7742953
I wouldn't mind the US stopping everything, recalling all forces and citizens home and building a massive wall around the entire place. Then shoot anyone that comes in or out for any reason.
>>
>>7741898
Helicopters and missiles are expensive, the latter not having a very long shelf life. Grad students are not.
>>
>>7741898
fuck me veterans are expensive
>>
In the interest of less misleading graphs here's the whole budget for 2011. Federal-level funding for education really is just that sliver in OP's graph. Basically our education system is entirely funded at the state and municipality levels causing inequality unsurprisingly.
>>
>>7743688
should just privatize education desu senpai.
>>
>>7742625
This
>>7741898
The military spending has to be high because the military is the ultimate source of security for the nation and it is what enables the continued survival of the nation. Science has demonstarted that it grants increased martial power and therefore more allocations will be made toward science.

Alot of military spending is on R and D
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.