[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How good do I need to be at Math to be good and Computer Science?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 10
File: lesmartmane.jpg (18 KB, 344x258) Image search: [Google]
lesmartmane.jpg
18 KB, 344x258
How good do I need to be at Math to be good and Computer Science?
>>
>>7740637
You mean CS, not programming, right?

For CS, you probably need to be pretty decent at math. I.e. you've made it through linear algebra and other upper level maths. For programming, you just need like fucking pre-calc or some shit.
>>
personally i think it's not the math itself what you need, if not the mind that allows you to be good at math...
>>
File: 00.png (4 KB, 224x250) Image search: [Google]
00.png
4 KB, 224x250
>>7740637
>>
>>7740637
It really depends on what you want to do. Find out what interests you and then find out what math you need. There are software jobs that need very little math. The question is do you want to do that job.
>>
>>7741506
Said by someone who knows nothing about computer science
>>
>>7740999
>upper level
Yeah, if you consider multivariable calc to be "upper level."

OP: not very. Some fields of low/mid-level mathematics are useful in some fields of CS, but honestly nothing even remotely difficult. Like, your high school knowledge of math is fine for almost everything you need to know in CS.
>>
>>7741529
Graph Theory, Fourier Analysis, Vector Calculus, Numerical Analysis, Computational Geometry. This high level math has many applications in software. I agree that the majority of software jobs dont need this knowledge. You need to move up to graduate degree land to get to do all this cool stuff.
>>
>>7741520

I graduated with highest honors in CS, the math in CS is a joke compared to the rest of STEM.
>>
>>7741548
So then you should have gone to a better school. To get a degree CS it should require multi variable calculus for math majors. To get a minor in Math at that point you normally need just 2 upper level math classes. I know this because I have a minor in math...
>>
>>7741552
>Not sure if trolling or honestly retarded
>>
>>7741555
If you didnt have to basically get a minor in math as part of your CS degree, then your cs degree sucks.
>>
File: cs.gif (142 KB, 948x543) Image search: [Google]
cs.gif
142 KB, 948x543
>>7741557
>a math minor is impressive

definitely a retarded cs major
>>
File: 121815latenightwars.jpg (96 KB, 640x413) Image search: [Google]
121815latenightwars.jpg
96 KB, 640x413
>>7741506
Computer science is basically an engineering degree minus Chemistry. Give it a shot, come back and tell me how easy it was.
>>
Alright, how cucked did you fags get by a CS major to get this mad?
>>
>>7743087
they're mad about people dumber than them making more money
>>
>>7743092
Idk some CS dudes are pretty smart.
>>
>>7743093
they are, but a lot of the undergrads aren't. and a lot of the dumber undergrads are still getting 70k programming jobs out of school lol
>>
>>7743098
>a lot of the undergrads aren't smart
There are so many morons who make it to graduation, but there are also so many who simply change majors, drop out, or take forever to graduate. As far as math goes, it is very important to CS. You will be nothing more than a code monkey unless you have a solid understanding of the concepts in CS, which are all mathematically heavy.
>>
>>7743108
how much math do you actually need to do that? i just took my undergrad algorithms course (the most mathy thing my school requires) and all you needed was single variable calc, know how proofs work, some basic discrete math, some basic applied linear algebra, and some basic probability. that's not really math heavy.
>>
>>7743111
Calc I, Calc II, Linear Algebra, Statistics, Discrete Math, Data Structures and Algorithms to name a few. Most of these will be required to graduate, regardless of the school.

If you are comparing it to other STEM degrees, sure it's not math heavy. However, to your average script kiddie or gaymer this is a lot.
>>
>>7743115
>However, to your average script kiddie or gaymer this is a lot.
true, i guess /sci/ sort of warps you since on here you're mathematically illiterate if you didn't take a class on shimura varieties before the senior year of your undergrad
>>
>>7741546
Literally only chapter 1 in textbooks for most of the subjects you listed.
Honestly, even a cursory glance at the wikipedia article on Fourier analysis is all you need to finish an undergrad in CS.

You reached the bottom of the barrel, and still couldn't pull out enough shit to save your argument.
>>
>>7741557
I think he's commenting on how you think multivariable calc isn't a "joke compared to the rest of STEM."

Because that's like year2 for most of STEM.
>>
>>7743154
multivariable calc and linear algebra is the third semester math class in my CS program.
>>
Problem with math requirements for CS is the fact that the professors will teach the class as if it is 100% full of math majors. When in reality their whole department is supported by STE.

Regardless of this, I would never support taking away the math requirements for CS. It keeps out so many retards who shouldn't be in the field to begin with.
>>
In my experience, the best software developers have a good math background.

It's not that they use so much actual math in the development but the logical thinking one must have to be successful in math.
>>
>>7740637
Every time someone asks this its because they're trying to put in the least effort for doing something.

Suck my fat multitude of cocks you faggot.
>>
>>7743186
>the professors will teach the class as if it is 100% full of math majors

Heavens forbid that they require you to actually learn math in a math class.
>>
>>7743108
>which are all mathematically heavy

Lies and slander. They are not math heavy, CS majors just terribly overestimate the difficulty and quantity of math in their curriculum. The math that's in undergrad discrete math, algorithms, computability theory, etc is so incredibly shallow and easy that it could be (and has been) picked up by a science or engineering majors in less than a week while CS majors are practically slaughtered by their courses on it.
>>
File: Astar_progress_animation.gif (50 KB, 210x210) Image search: [Google]
Astar_progress_animation.gif
50 KB, 210x210
>>7743069
>Computer science is basically an engineering degree minus Chemistry

and minus the physics, engineering, hard math, economics, professionalism, licensing, and analytical and abstract thinking that makes engineering degrees worthwhile.
>>
>>7745004
>hard math
>economics
>professionalism
>licensing
>analytical and abstract thinking that makes engineering degrees worthwhile.
O boy..
Any respectable CS major will probably take at least a few pmath courses and physics 1-2 before graduation..
CS at non-shit schools is just EE without circuits and theoretical versions of the same math courses
>>
File: BE A WOMAN.jpg (161 KB, 612x792) Image search: [Google]
BE A WOMAN.jpg
161 KB, 612x792
>>7743120
>i
>>
>>7743093
>some CS dudes are pretty smart.

And they either regret majoring in CS or switched to other majors.

>>7743176

Because CS is for the weak. cf >>7741506
>>
>>7745042
>CS at non-shit schools is just EE

Unless you're Europeans or Australians, that's CpE and not CS.
>>
>>7740637

DO CS, get $150K at google
Do CS PhD, get $500K as a trader at investment bank or hedge fund
Scientific papers on machine learning sell for $1m a pop for the intellectual property

>muh math
>>
File: 1450782364256.jpg (55 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
1450782364256.jpg
55 KB, 480x720
>>7745004
Hard math......
>Bitchholdon.jpg
>>
>>7744994
>shill detected
That is beside the point. Math departments are grossly over-bloated and their entire departments are sustained by other Engineer-related departments. Just go in your average college-level math class and take a poll of majors.

We could care less about your sperglord math nonsense formulas of theoretical nothingness. CS wants more math related to their field, specifically algorithms, discrete, etc.
>>
>>7746203
>Math is useless

Only the most retarded of retards ever think that
>>
>>7741548
then why the fuck were you in CS?
>b-but i enjoy it
stfu pussy
>>
ITT: people confusing the mathematical knowledge with mathematical ability

You need to know fuckall math to do most software jobs unless it's something domain specific, but the sort of brain you need to understand software well is the same that you need to understand math.
>>
>>7746425

Because CS majors hyperbolically exaggerated their courses as "the mathematics of computation" and it's "basically all math" and conned me into taking them.
>>
>>7746460
>I only want to learn a trade, not an academic subject
>But I still want to pretend like I'm equal to a math phd
>>
File: 1446071214749.jpg (260 KB, 449x1197) Image search: [Google]
1446071214749.jpg
260 KB, 449x1197
Lot of math spergs in here buttblasted at the fact they don't make nearly as much as CS majors.
>>
>>7746555

You can get any code monkey job with a high school degree.
>>
File: 129038579238045.gif (469 KB, 480x228) Image search: [Google]
129038579238045.gif
469 KB, 480x228
>>7746564
Try it sperglord, let me know how that interview goes.
>>
>muh math
watered down analysis formulae are not math you fucking illiterate engayneers
>>
>>7744995
I would say the same think about feed-back control of dynamical systems and signal processing courses and "advanced" probability and statistics.

An EE making B's in all of his courses isn't hot shit either.

Really. The only people that leave college knowing how to build shit are the CEs, Mech E's and CS students.

The rest are just getting degrees in theoretical basket weaving.
>>
>>7745004
>engineering
>hard math
>>
OP why do you ask? Are you looking into going into CS?
>>
>>7741506
Yes, this stuff is so easy, all the problems are solved, nothing to see here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_complexity_theory#Intractability
>>
The Data Science meme will be done by the time you are out of school. Don't waste your time.

Fuck, most of the retards who are graduating today with relevant degrees probably won't be able to get jobs in that field because of oversaturation and too few jobs.

Just focus on something you actually enjoy and have a natural aptitude for.
>>
Calc 1, Calc 2, and Linear Algebra, at my university CS is such a fucking joke
>>
>>7746609

99.5% of CS can't even code Fizzbuzz. They are the last people anyone wants for coding jobs
>>
>>7746679
>theoretical basket weaving

The father of Computer Engineering Hamming once said that theory and principals are infinitely more useful than fact stamp collecting where half the facts will be outdated in 5 years.

People who hate theory are always the idiots that barely pass their shit.
>>
>>7746743
>undergrad do postgraduate work

top kek

Would you say all business majors are intelligent because the Black-Scholes equation uses advanced mathematics?
>>
>>7743120
Most of /sci/ has never taken calc I. Most math masters always stick with the basic. Talking the big theory is for the retards who don't understand it or the PhD savants.
>>
>>7740637
Nope
Computer science major reporting in
>>
>>7746832
That holds true to all fields even outside of STEM. Collecting facts is useless. You have a computer for that type of task.
>>7746818
99.9% of people can't code hello world.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.