[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Study Tips General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
Sup /sci/, I didn't do as well as I'd hoped this semester, so I was wondering if you guys had any studying tips, or tips to get better at learning material? Should I just sit down and cram, or take some adderall or what?

How do you go about doing well in your classes?

>looking at you, straight A students

Pic unrelated
>>
>>7739576
Good grades only come with people of high IQ. I have an SAT score of 2400 without any studying, a near eidactic memory. Phone numbers, postal codes, addresses, you name it, i can glimpse and commit to memory.
>>
>>7739578
Why does /sci/ have to be so cancerous sometimes?
>>
Sometimes cramming is your only option. I see nothing wrong with this. I can do the equivalent of a full semester in about 2 weeks if I work 9-5. Bit always study smart. Learn definition do paper, repeat
>>
just sit down and study there's no magic trick
>>
Keep up with the work, itll be easier if you dont leave it all for the end of the semester. Get some good textbooks to supplement your course (find them online) and work through them as you progress the course. Your lecturers might even recommend certain textbooks, get these and also get ones that /sci/ recommends from the page in the sticky. There is no shortcut for hard work.
>>
>>7739580
it's the base nature of 4chan itself, you know this, and you can't avoid it
>>
If you're not very good at details, DURING the lecture write down/circle/underline things you need to strengthen. Those little things that didn't click during the lecture. It's important you work to understand them. As a bonus, you now have a list of subjects you know you need to review when exams come up.

If you need to cram people, places or things fast, it's good to know your best quick and dirty review style. While you shouldn't rely on such methods often, always know yourself. I personally use flashcards, restarting the stack when I get a single one wrong, and if I structure the answers to be similar to the test if possible.

Don't be afraid to approach your professor/TA and mention that you could use a little direction in what sorts of things to brush up on for the test. Worst case scenario, they spit out the chapter titles, best case scenario, they practically give you the test.

Always read the textbook before the lecture. This allows you to listen to the professor with ease as well as fill the gaps in your reading. You won't remember the nuances your professor mentioned in class when reading afterwards, but if you read the book first anything not already mentioned sticks out like a sore thumb.
>>
drop the coffee, or limit it to one cup and drink decaf the rest of the day.

Sleep enough, sleeeeeeep.

If you're stressed, jack off. just jack off.

Write the class shit, or at least read the script.

If you are interested in losing fat but are encumbered, look into intermittent fasting.
I am doing a loose 36hfast/12hfeed style of fasting and the fasting days give me the extra time I need to learn more focused.
Of course you need to workout on your feeding days to remind your body to not dissolve the muscle.
And please, try to eat clean. Of course socializing prevents that, but I have the experience that cooked food is much better for my psychological well being than alcohol and pretzels.

I am in need of study tips regarding math.
I have gotten the book how to prove it and I hope to be good at understanding mathematics, but our professor jumped straight into the analysis thematic and I was very coffee addicted.
Now it is better.

the thematic is the following:

Differential and integral calculus of one variable.

I am going to redo the homework these two weeks and try to get in while preparing for chemistry, biology and learn more coding for a job I really want to get in.
>>
>>7739576
oh yeah, download the book of new calport, very good introduction to good behaviour.
>>
>>7739576
Always try to be ahead. In between semesters, start going over the material for the next semester's classes. Attempt the lesson before the lecture so that you have questions prepared. Go over the lesson and do any relevant exercises as soon as possible because it's fresh in your memory. Avoid multi-hour long sessions so that you don't forget material from hours ago. Break it up into smaller ones so that you can better absorb the material. Get plenty of sleep, eat well, and exercise as these are all important for learning and memory. Don't be obese or underweight as these result in poor performance. If you have sleep apnea (this can make you more stupid) or some other medical condition, do something about it now. This is the secret to the "super smart guy who goes to all the parties and never studies." This will you give you extra time to work on a side project or get relevant experience in your field. Avoid getting in with the cramming crowd. Cramming does work but the long term retention is terrible. That's fine if you're never going to take another class nor do anything further with that subject. If this is knowledge that will be used in later classes, never ever cram. Take your time and let it sink in slowly and steadily. The people who crammed were just never as good because they always forgot some small detail or couldn't recall something in time. This forgetfulness and slow recall just compounds over time making them take progressively longer to learn new material. This slow insidious loss of knowledge really fucks a lot of people over but they don't even realize it nor why it happens.
Honestly, most people would do well to take a year off before going to university to make sure that they do the fundamentals perfunctorily. It's really depressing seeing otherwise intelligent people underperforming since they're just unprepared for the task at hand. Playing catch up while slowly falling behind really is the thing that breaks most students.
>>
>>7739597
>>7739603
>>7739785
>>7739801
>>7739876

Plenty of excellent advice ITT.
>>
>>7739876
that's what I wish I did. Now I am at khanacademy doing algebra AND Calculus in college.
>>
File: tumblr_nqffnfK8FD1qcj2hco1_500.gif (415 KB, 500x290) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nqffnfK8FD1qcj2hco1_500.gif
415 KB, 500x290
first you should get the notes to every lesson and read over them at least twice, it's not that much and you know it.

after that visualisation helps me to remember, Google Image Search abstract terms to associate pictures with it. look for animated pictures of infographics or diagrams but make sure the info inside them is correct!
>>
OP here, thanks guys for all the good study tips, any advice on effective note taking in lecture?

I usually am not sure whether to write down everything the professor says or what he writes on the board or what
>>
>>7740366
I usually write down everything they put on the board, you never know what's going to be useful when you're studying. It helps me reinforce the information too.
>>
>>7739576
>do your homework as soon as it's assigned.
That way you should have time to finish it and ask your professor/TA for help should you run into any issues.

>read your fucking textbook.
If you run into a sentence or idea or equation that makes no sense, reread until it does.

>go to class.
This is probably the easiest one. You pay for the class, might as well go

>ask questions.
Not only will the professors know your face, but they like when they ask the class if anyone has any questions and they actually do, rather than just stand there saying nothing

>dedicate time accordingly. If you're having trouble with a certain course, dedicate more time to it.

>vary your resources.
We have the Internet now, there's absolutely no excuse to do poorly in school given the amount of resources we have at our disposal today. If your textbook sucks, look for another one/look for youtube videos/research articles/other textbooks/online forums. Zero excuse to do poorly.
>>
>>7739576
I like testing myself repeatably on problems or trying to explain concepts to inanimate objects (or a real person who actually knows the subject). If I succeed I move on, if not I review.

Also I found it helps to try and apply what you learn to your everyday life. For example waiting for the train in Penn station and I think of the waiting area like a cell and the people coming and going like particles entering and leaving the cell.
>>
>>7740399
this
a million times this
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.