[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /sci/ I have a question for all of you computer science majors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: advanced_computer_science.jpg (104 KB, 1600x600) Image search: [Google]
advanced_computer_science.jpg
104 KB, 1600x600
hey /sci/ I have a question for all of you computer science majors out there. do you guys genuinely like computer science or are you just in the program for the job market?

I have to be honest, I don't like it at all. I'm afraid that I'm just so caught up in the STEM stigma that I'm going to bottle neck into a career that I honestly don't enjoy.
>>
You're not gonna make it if you don't enjoy it desu
>>
I like it. I did programming in high school, and went to study computer science in university to get my skills to the next level. I was not disappointed and I love the field. The job market is nice, it's what allowed me to pursue the activity I love, but it was a secondary consideration.
>>
I love compsci but I hate web stuff. I'm seriously considering trying for a CE just to get farther away from things like WordPress.
>>
>>7739367
>>7739368
>>7739376
Thanks for the replies. I was just making sure I wasn't making a mistake. I look around in some of my classes and see some of the same glass eyed stares that I have, but then I also see a lot of kids who seem to be having a good time. I guess I need to consider a different major before I spend too much time on this.
>>
>>7739362

If you don't like it, you shouldn't pursue it. You'll be miserable and competing against people who do actually care and put in time outside of school to get better. Although if you're just wanting a shitty job then I guess it's alright.
>>
>>7739454
Right now I have a job as an SEO/marketing technologist. It's nothing computer science related really I just do WordPress stuff and Google analytics. The job sucks ass and it's boring, but I get paid well to do it and I work from home which is nice. I guess I just see myself as being already semi-successful without computer science, so I am less compelled to pursue something I don't even like that much.
>>
Honestly, it's hard not to enjoy computer science.

Its like your given unlimited legos and you get paid to play with them.

if you don't want to be a code monkey there are a billion other things you can do with the skills you get
>>
>>7739474
This. When coding I feel like nothing is impossible, it just might not have been done yet
>>
Yes, I genuinely like computer science. I'd love to be given a chance to do a PhD at a good school in theoretical computer science (algorithms or complexity theory, specifically), AI, or functional programming. I keep applying, but it's unlikely due to my less than stellar background.

I don't enjoy working on enterprise web applications, though. It's not challenging, and gets kinda repetitive except for the occasional moment where I do something new.
>>
>>7739692
>>7739474
That's programming, not computer science, m80s
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.