[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Neuroscience graduate, entering Engineering degree?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: immaculate-prosthetic-devices3.jpg (47 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
immaculate-prosthetic-devices3.jpg
47 KB, 450x338
I am graduating my bachelors in neuroscience at one of the better universities (worldwide) for it. But, I lost my passion for the brain about halfway through the degree. I'm 23 and thinking for studying an engineering degree, focusing on biomedical or mechanical.
How ridiculous does this sound? I would love to work with BCI and prosthetic devices.
>>
It doesn't.

I have a BS in Pure math, an MS in Applied Math and I'm finishing up an MS in MechE and PhD in Applied Math. My research is in stability/bifurcation theory and control theory. For the MSME, my reaearch is in robotics/control theory.

Shit happens, senpai. You just get the itch.
>>
>>7737816
>bachelors in neuroscience

If you had a PhD in neuro coupled with an engineering degree that would've been ideal for a research career, but if you do your BEng/MEng now you're pretty much only going to have access to same jobs any other Biomed BEng/MEng has.

Honestly I know you said you lost your passion, but if you don't go to grad-school for neuro you've pretty much wasted the last 4 years of your life.
>>
>>7737820
I'm not interested in pursuing research, I would like to create a legacy for myself and future family. Why would I pursue a career I have no passion for when I could change now? I will never be a great neuro scientist, I may be great at innovating bio/mechanical inventions which work with the brain.
>>
OP here. I should clarify, I have no interest in a research career. I would like to make money in an interesting industry.
>>
>>7737825
>I would like to create a legacy for myself and future family.
I don't know if biomedical engineering is the best career path for you then. It's really underpaid work for that skillset.

>>7737827
Unless you have 10-50 million lying around you can't really start your own company if that's what you're thinking. If you work for a company you won't get the rights to the IP and won't really be able to afford developing anything on your own either.
>>
>>7737833
I can start my own company. It must be in something of intrinsic interest, otherwise I'll lose motivation.
one a scale from 1 to faggot, how difficult is it to retain talented engineers when their boss only has a undergraduate science qualification?
>>
>>7737838
>I can start my own company. It must be in something of intrinsic interest, otherwise I'll lose motivation.
Really? Well congrats on being born into the right family I guess. Even so you have to understand that you "interest" might need to take a back seat that what is practically obtainable; ie what markets you can actually break into. I'll be honest I don't know what the prosthetic market really looks like, but considering all the defence contracts in the public domain I don't know how well a private company can compete for contracts with customers as "loyal" (read: some asshole lobbied into perma contracts over decades) as the military.

>one a scale from 1 to faggot, how difficult is it to retain talented engineers when their boss only has a undergraduate science qualification?
Zero. They care about their salary, not your qualifications. Most company owners have engineering bachelor qualifications. Postgrad is irrelevant and in general so are quals.
>>
>>7737851
Also that being said, attracting talent in the first place can be hard.

The best way to this is to network with engineering faculty members at top tier universities (not top 5, just any non-shit uni which at least occasionally produces talented graduates) and give them industry grants etc. The best students will get the grad. projects and eventually you'll be their first choice of employer.

This is how a small nanotech company now tied to my uni did it anyway.
>>
>>7737819
Not OP but I've always wanted to do pure math but I have a crippling fear of failure, even though I really enjoy reading about and doing math. I'm afraid that if I fail, my childhood dream will be shattered. Any advice, except stop being a pussy? Thanks.
>>
>>7737816
I don't see why that would be a crazy switch. Given that your degree had calc I-diff eq, some physics, and some organic and biochem you should be able to switch to engineering, though a post bac may be needed for you to supplement your course work.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.