[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do our brains control us or do we control our brains?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: brain1.jpg (101 KB, 660x528) Image search: [Google]
brain1.jpg
101 KB, 660x528
Do our brains control us or do we control our brains?
>>
You are your brain
>>
>>7736181

Proof?
>>
>>7736181
no, you are information inside your brain
>>
>>7736161
Define "us"
>>
Define "us" and "we"
>>
>>7736161
>>7736188
considering your hands posted something really stupid, it would have to be your brain that controls those
simple deduction
>>
Our brains create our thoughts and our thoughts create our brains.

Super simple stuff.
>>
>>7736203
don't shitpost, he is obviously thinking about our consciousness
>>
>>7736214
It's pretty apparent that "we" are a brain.
Now, why does consciousness exists?
Why can you think about pressing reply to my post, instead of being done automatically by this biological system?
How can we exist in sense we know we do?

That's something we'll literally never be able to answer.
>>
In this environment brain stem and hormones are in control. Frontal lobe is often out of business.
>>
>>7736230
> That's something we'll literally never be able to answer.
i wouldn't agree.
my favorite theory (that could be right but of course is not yet proven) is stating that consciousness is a simulation of environment and your body, and species that could simulate possible events are much more likely to survive such an event -> evolution -> profit
(or something like that)
>>
Our brain controls us obviously.

I'm also pretty sure there are multiple "conscious" regions and their only role is to analyze shared data and add to the consensus.
>>
>>7736281
>consciousness is a simulation of environment and your body,

While simulating possible scenarios is a large part of what our brain does (think daydreaming, imagining falling off a cliff etc) I don't think that the "consciousness" arises from this.
We are merely the process of the brain functioning, but because there's no physical way to prove it, we'll never get to prove it.
Consciousness is something very abstract. It does not make sense for it to exist.

What's the numerical limit of neurons that you need in order to form a conscious being?
It seems that 20 billion are enough.
But what about 20 million? Or 100 thousand?

Can you have a consciousness with 1 neuron? What does it feel like? Do neurons feel? Do they "exist" in the same sense that we do?
Do other complex learning system have a consciousness?

The answer is that we don't know, and probably can't know.
That's one thing that's completely beyond me.
>>
>>7736161
Hi, Karl.

You are your brain. That four pound glob of fatty tissue inside your skull is all that you are.
>>
OP has been infected by Karl Pilkington
>>
>>7736333
> but because there's no physical way to prove it, we'll never get to prove it.
no, just no. stop it
> Consciousness is something very abstract. It does not make sense for it to exist.
stop it right now! i can not allow you to continue spouting such nonsense.
>>
>>7736161
Physics controls us, you are your brain.
>>
>>7736333
> Can you have a consciousness with 1 neuron? What does it feel like? Do neurons feel?
just stop it already!
consciousness is created out of a complex system, one neuron can't possibly be conscious
> Do they "exist" in the same sense that we do?
stooooop
you just said that neurons and "we" are two separate things
>>
>>7736230
it's not that apparent that we are the brain. there are a lot of unconscious functions to the brain you cannot control or observe.
>>
>>7736214
Define consciousness.
>>
>>7736161

>our
>us
>we
>our

you are dumb. your post is dumb.
>>
>>7736161
both m8.

other people control you as well.
>>
>>7736211

Suppose that a man hiking in the swamp and is struck and killed by a lightning bolt. At the same time, nearby in the swamp another lightning bolt spontaneously rearranges a bunch of molecules such that, entirely by coincidence, they take on exactly the same form that he had at the time of his death.

Would you say that there was a difference? After all the brain is identical. Or would swampman appear the same but not actually be the same.
>>
It's synthetical.

Now the question is, the importance of chemicals.

We're combinations of many things.
>>
>>7736161
Do you think before thinking?
>>
>>7737283
Can two molecules be exactly identical?
>>
You're an idiot. Put a record on!
>>
>>7737283
If I copy and paste a dick picture from my pictures drive to my desktop is it the same picture?
no, it is a copy. It is in almost every way the same but it is a copy of the original.

Your teleporting lightning bolt man would think he is the same person and no one would ever know the difference but the reality is that your hiker is dead and swamp man is his copy
>>
>>7737283
Imagine the same scenario except where the man hiking in the swamp was never struck by lightning
>>
Both.
>>
It's a matter of preference.
>>
>>7736161
You imply that we are not the brain.
You could also say that we are something else controlling the brain?
But regardless brain IS and neurosciences proved this, brain IS the center of activity, it regulates every process and function in the body, it hosts advanced mental processes.
BUT there is no proof that consciousness is generated by it.
>>
>>7736161
Both. You can look at yourself as a program that your brain carries out. You take inputs and return outputs to the other programs in there. Many of these other programs are also you but not in the most restricted sense.
>>
>>7737283
Why does there have to be a story about a swamp or a lightning bolt in the first place?
Also why did you exactly say what Michael from Vsauce said you faggot.
>>
>>7736161
if "you" had control over your brain, you wouldn't be on 4chan faget.
>>
>>7736161

>Do our brains control us or do we control our brains?

Both. Your brain tells you to drink water by triggering thirst when it senses blood osmolarity is too high so you have to go and drink because thirst is uncomfortable, and you can force yourself to stay up all night and study when your brain wants you to be sleeping instead.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.