[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Grad School Discussions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
File: 6058030998_00a9386807_z.jpg (90 KB, 360x640) Image search: [Google]
6058030998_00a9386807_z.jpg
90 KB, 360x640
So how do I make sure I become the golden boy?
>>
>>7735972
Suck his dick.
>>
>>7735972
you dont want to be
>say goodbye to your weekends
>>
make sure you have at least one side project, two if youre in your first 2-3 years.
Dont suck at presenting your results at lab meeting ie be prepared and not half asleep.
>>
>>7736018
What sort of side project?
>>
>>7735972
Actually like what you're doing. Golden boys don't think "well I'd better do some extra math so I'll be a golden boy ;)" they do it because they like it.
>>
>>7736018
WHat do you mean side project?
>>
File: 1439310168275.jpg (810 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
1439310168275.jpg
810 KB, 1500x1000
>>7735972
Feel like I'll hijack this thread.
Recently graduated with a B.S in Biology. I'm working for a pharmaceutical company down the street and I'm contemplating if I should go for a M.S and look for experience with said degree, or go for a PhD. The only issue I have is I graduated with a 2.7gpa and I'm pretty positive I can get into my old School for the M.S, or do I stick with this job for a couple of years, get reccs from the job and my old teachers again, and apply for the PhD?
>>
>>7736308
>biology
>job

Good one m8
>>
>>7736025
>>7736290
pretty much means side bitches, get as many as possible and your brofessor will be like "woah there slow down golden boy :^) :^) :^)"

and then HE sucks YOUR dick and you get 300k starting
>>
>>7737115
thanks anon ur the best
>>
>>7736308
slightly worried, is this another trap?
>>
Guys

If by the end of my lifetime I don't make a an AI that's a better artist than all artists in history

I failed
>>
>>7736025
If you're asking this question, golden boy status is not for you. Slave status is the best you'd achieve going that route.
>>
>>7737182
Dude what side project are you talking about
>>
>>7737184

not that guy but listen: If you don't already have side projects, you are not the golden child
>>
>>7737188
Maybe I do but I don't know what they are. Like random pet projects? Who gives a shit about those?
>>
File: 2GD and Soe 3.jpg (61 KB, 406x720) Image search: [Google]
2GD and Soe 3.jpg
61 KB, 406x720
>>7737147
Pretty sure that's Soe, not a trap.
>>
>>7735972
I think I'm the "golden boy" at my grad school? It is the best school for my field, so there were a lot of great opportunities when I got there. I took advantage of as many as possible. I was bold and outspoken, made sure to stand my ground in arguments/discussions with professors and made an impression.

Also, just be really good at what you do and do it because you love it
>>
>>7737375
Share some stories?
>>
>>7736308
>>7736687
i was going to say....
how did you get a job in industry with a bio degree and 2.7 gpa. thats literally academic probation at my school.

you're lying.
>>
>>7737390
It's literally not that hard. I'm going to be working at a cancer cell research lab. I got lucky and did this program in school that allowed me to work with PCR,Molecular genetics, and cell culture. The first fucking thing you should learn that grades don't matter in the work field, but who you know, and how useful you are to the company.
>>
>>7735972
It's genetic.
>>
>>7736308
Is that a 2.7 at an American university? I kind of doubt you'd manage grad-school even if you get in to be honest.
>>
>>7738079
Did you go to a good uni? Is there demand for statisticians to work in trials and experiments?
>>7737390
What uni do you go to? it is ridiculous to expect every student to stay above a 3.0
>>
>>7738093
I did shit at cc, and pulled a 3.4 when I transferred to a 4 year college.
>>7738094
Rowan is a decent school for STEM, not much to brag about. The only shit worth caring about is the engineering program. Other than that, I spent most of my time doing research and that program.
>>
>>7738094
>statisticians to work in trials and experiments?
Forgot to answer that question, and yes, highly. Unless you have a PhD or 5-7 years of experience.
>>
>>7736006
>preferring to spend your weekend on 4chan over doing research
>>
>>7738129
>research
>implying you're not slaving away at some tedious lab task
>4chan
>implying i don't have a couple of hobbies and a gf
>>
>>7737195
[spoiler]PUBLISHABLE [/spoiler] side projects.
>>
>>7738145
do people do this? just casually starting a research paper next to the one that they're working at?
>>
>>7738150
Never heard of hedging your bets?
>>
>>7738104
so I would need 5-7 years experience or a PhD to get a job?
>>
>>7738150
I did. My prof. was so impressed with my ideas he gave me my own research group of undergrad lackeys in my first year of grad-school. This allowed me to actually only focus in my main project while pumping out several first authorships.

Feels good to be the golden boy Anons. Feels fucking good.
>>
>>7738155
It really depends. If you want to be the head scientist in a lab or in research, PhD is more favorable. If all you have is a M.S then you will need a lot experience and examples on how you can handle the position. You will also need to show these jobs who you worked with, and who you know.
>>
>>7738189
What were your ideas?
>>
>>7738199
That would void my Anonymity.
>>
>>7738204
A brief description about your projects shouldn't disclose your identity, but okay
>>
File: 48327232_p0.jpg (582 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
48327232_p0.jpg
582 KB, 900x900
>>7735972
From the thumbnail, I thought this was Re-L cosplay. Now that I've entered this thread, I am thoroughly disappointed.

Hidden, reported, and saged. Enjoy your symbolic downvote.
>>
>>7738337
why disappointed?
>>
File: 97582.jpg (34 KB, 498x640) Image search: [Google]
97582.jpg
34 KB, 498x640
>>7738341
Because I wanted some sexy and or artistic Re-L cosplay.
>>
why the fuck do people at good universities look so boring? like looking at the facebook profiles of grills that go to cambridge they all look plain asf. like, go to an arts school and everyone looks cool, but academic school let to many basic bitches in just cause they are academically strong. show some personality or fuck off nerdo
>>
>>7737375
>I think I'm the "golden boy"
then obviously you aren't. enjoy your serfdom for years and then getting fucked over as none of your profs recommend you to their hermetically sealed circle of friends
>>
>>7738538
Girls that go to Cambridge don't need as much validation or attention as art school girls. They also have a healthy relationship with their father.
>>
>>7738907
>They also have a healthy relationship with their father
No one who spouts this baseless pejorative has the intelligence to be a scientist.
>>
>>7737390
>>7738079
This thread looks dead but I have to say, this is pretty important. Outside of academia your gpa barely means shit. If it's high you can put it on your resume if it's high as a boost, but the phrase C's get degrees is very true for people who want to get a job after undergrad.

Even then, a lot of lab positions really aren't that hard. You could teach a highschool graduate how to robotically follow instruction manuals and perform lab task.
>>
>>7736290
>>7736025
in grad school, you join a lab.
That lab has been studying some process.
There are half a dozen projects anyone could name off the top of their head that they don't have time to pursue due to focusing on a project of their own. Your PI knows these.

Your PI will give you a project. As you work on it, you'll figure out the direction it should take next; you'll also find a shit-ton of "huh, I wonder if...."s as you keep doing experiments.

What the poster means is that you should pick up 1-2 projects besides the main project you are working on. They should be higher-risk projects that could pan out to something big, but unlikely to pan out in the first place. This gives you a couple of fall-back projects in case your main one doesn't work out, and these side projects might turn out to be something big that most people didn't pursue because of the risk.
>>
>>7737375
You talk like an undergrad. Extremely vague, no focus on who's lab you were in, literally nothing of merit in your post, mention multiple professors. The fuck does "bold and outspoken, made an impression" mean?

> It is the best school for my field

Biggest tell-tale here. No one past undergrad cares about schools, they care about labs/professors. When going to grad school, you look for a lab, not an institution. If you're in the stem cell field, no one gives a fuck if you went to X school, they give a fuck if you were in Shinya Yamanaka's lab. You most def. weren't the golden boy if you even went to grad school.

source: 3.5 year grad student. Jaded as hell.
>>
>>7739141
The big names schools are big name schools because they have the big name researchers. Or at least this holds very well in physics. From what I can tell of biology, things are less concentrated.
>>
>>7739137

Not if you're in math, we don't have labs.
>>
>>7739175
>>7739141
Reputation of the school does matter some, but the publications are what's really important. In chemistry for instance, a professor who's lab is consistently putting out quality publications in whatever respective acs journal is better than a professor at Yale who hasn't been putting out many publications. The reality of the matter is that schools like south 'insert state' university still receives a lot of funding as most large research institutions do, and publications are what really matters.

That said, there is definitely a name brand affect, but it's not that huge of a deal.
>>
>>7739137
>you should pick up 1-2 projects besides the main project you are working on
Where the fuck do you guys go where you have the funding, time, and permission to do renegade projects on the side? I understand picking up side projects of course, but you're making it sound like you have some groundbreaking shit brewing up on the down low.
>>
>>7739175
dude, just give up. you are full of shit, and we all know it.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.