[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did proto-humans go through a semi-aquatic phase?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: frinkled wingers.jpg (65 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
frinkled wingers.jpg
65 KB, 720x480
Did proto-humans go through a semi-aquatic phase?
>>
It's not at all supported by the fossil record. The most water that any recent ancestor of ours was exposed to was due to fishing or being in the rain or whatever... but that's not at all the same thing.
>>
File: captain-kirk-300x291.jpg (23 KB, 300x291) Image search: [Google]
captain-kirk-300x291.jpg
23 KB, 300x291
>implying you're not still 70% aquatic
>>
>>7735125
Trench foot all the time and all over.
>>
>>7735125
That could be something that has made our grip better on wet surfaces. Research with current humans show it doesn't help, but maybe with more hair it would.
>>
>>7735125
sure, proto-proto-proto-proto-humans were fish
>>
>>7735170
and proto- proto-proto-proto-proto-humans were protons.
>>
File: aquatic_ape_theory.jpg (34 KB, 620x640) Image search: [Google]
aquatic_ape_theory.jpg
34 KB, 620x640
>>7735125
obligatory
>>
File: 060406.tiktaalik-1.jpg (1 MB, 2428x2183) Image search: [Google]
060406.tiktaalik-1.jpg
1 MB, 2428x2183
>>7735125
Exactly how proto are we talking here?
>>
>>7735210
Jesus
>>
>>7735210

I just love how far these landwhales try to stretch pseudoscientific explanations to normalise their obesity, but as soon as real science comes up about why they're unhealthy beasts it's all lies perpetrated by the evil corporations and the media.

They want to have their cake and eat it too.
>>
>>7737206
I don't think their satisfied with eating only their own cake.
>>
>>7735125
I believe so. I like to think that it's evidence for some sort of aquatic ape that we would call a mermaid.
>>
>>7738436
Kek
>>
>>7735125
The woman who proposed and wrote the book about this "theory" was an untrained housewife.
>>
>>7738462

No, cake.
>>
>>7735125
>semi-aquatic
this generally refers to seals who stay months at sea, humans never did this

the coast was a major source of food for hunter gatherers, they would wade out for a few hours during daylight to fish or collect cockles and other creatures, occasionally swimming, some adaptions for this might have been important for early humans
>>
>>7739009
kake
>>
>>7735210
Why a monkey would want to be on the water
Even tropical monkeys lives in trees not in sea
>>
>>7739347
Sea-monkeys. Duh.
>>
>>7737206
They're not even landwhales anymore, they are literally just whales now according to themselves.
>>
arent we already semiaquatic?
Isnt that why we have less hair than apes?
Im no bio fag, but thats how I always thought of it
>>
>>7735125
No the bones of most primates are too dense to even float in water, also a land creature going back into the ocean is retarded because it completely removes any chance of your limbs becoming a tool using appendage in which case your intelligence would be useful. Cetaceans are the most boned animals on earth because they are smart but cant do anything with their intelligence doomed to swim in the waters forever or until one of them pulls a reverse evolution where they slowly try to live on land again but that would take some serious environmental change to even happen.
>>
>>7739891
Bipedalism is needed for hominid tier intelligence im sorry but elephant trunks will never as good as our thumbs. The only way a quadruped could ever fully use intelligence was if they had two pairs of head tentacles but thats seems like a waste of mass so no.

Tentacles are better in the water since an animal can be any shape as long as it can float.
>>
>>7735195
protons are not ancestral to humans (or any other life form)
>>
>>7739347
When we discovered how to make nets, fishing became easier than hunting land animals.
>>
File: meh.png (109 KB, 440x330) Image search: [Google]
meh.png
109 KB, 440x330
>>7739891
Except land creatures have gone back into the water. This is how they explained dolphins and whales. I've seen other pictures to explain this but it's the same general idea.
>>
File: tmp_5059-dgFHR86038248.jpg (528 KB, 1980x1080) Image search: [Google]
tmp_5059-dgFHR86038248.jpg
528 KB, 1980x1080
>>7739949
I believe this is what he meant.
>>
>>7740930

M8 its all a fucking guess.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.