[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>reading random non-fiction book >mentions Alan Turing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1408539053185.jpg (11 KB, 396x388) Image search: [Google]
1408539053185.jpg
11 KB, 396x388
>reading random non-fiction book
>mentions Alan Turing proving some random CS related stuff when he was 24
>I'm 22 and I'm exambabbying my way through chemical engineering
>despite my good grades I have done NOTHING EVER that is intellectually impressive or original in any way
>even if I did well in chemeng I still would be shit compared to the physics / maths / CS autists

Is chemical engineering academia respected? I feel so intellectually useless.

pls tell me that the maths / CS / physics autists are doing useless rubbish. I can't handle being so worthless in comparison with them.

Why the fuck do we even have engineering degrees when a guy with a physics degree could learn anything I know within 20 minutes, but not vice versa? What was the point of my fucking degree?
>>
>>7732711
CS was babby tier back then
>>
>>7732711
>Physics major false flagging trying to start a major politics thread.
/sci/ is pretty stupid, but not that stupid to fall for this.

Anyway since major politics is retarded I'm hijacking this thread.

>>7732711
>Alan Turing
Turing is overrated. Allied propaganda made him overrated so they can steal the patents for the computer without making it seem like more Nazi science they looted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konrad_Zuse
A German built a general purpose ELECTRONIC computer 3 years before his stupid mechanical atrocity was even up and running. This is despite his work being bombed 2 times and having minimal resources as opposed to Turing who had a peaceful time with huge support from the eternal Anglo's many resources.

On the theoretical size Zuse beat Turing too, developing the first general purpose language called Plankalkül which is still studied even today (it's "Turing" complete btw)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konrad_Zuse#Plankalk.C3.BCl

If you're into major politics nonsense he was in fact an engineer, but if you're not retarded you would've figured out by now that undergrad is irrelevant and it comes down to individual talent and hard work after graduation that really makes a good researcher.
>>
>>7732711
come on OP, im cheme student and I had similar thoughts as you do, but I dont think physicist are able to learn our material in 20 minutes, physical chemistry? fluid flow? analytics, inorganic? For us it might be easy but trust me for some people its fucking drama to learn these things.
We will be able to find job very easy, and if we want we can go deep into science by for example phd so we lost like nothing
Why dont you go to some research group? Im in electrochemistry research group on my uni and its pretty dope.
If you work hard enough maybe you will be the next tesla of chemistry :D he was an engineer too so..
>>
>>7732721
CS is even more babby tier today. At least back then it was done by mathematicians.
>>
>>7732711
Why do you identify with your degree OP?

If you don't want your knowledge to be shallow, just study harder. And if you've studied the hardest you can, and someone else learns all you know in 20 minutes, then that's how it's supposed to be - so why would you be upset?
>>
>>7732783
Tesla wasn't an engineer. He attended school for civil engineering but never finished. He didn't even trust math.
>>
>>7733535
>He attended school for civil engineering but never finished.
*Electrical engineering.
>>
>>7733501

If software ENGINEERS can figure out how to build actual software that people use without useless number theory or pedantic proofs but mathematicians need lots of specialized math to write a program, then who is really smarter?
>>
>>7732711

>le please kill me amphibian
>le I'm so miserable because I'm not an Übermensch

You're doing that on purpose, right?
>>
>>7732711
Autism is a form of brain damage. If you want autism, you should know where i'm going with this
>>
>>7733535
>He didn't even trust math.

What is that supposed to mean?
There's nothing subjective about it
>>
>>7733553
Toilet cleaners are useful too. That doesn't make them smart or their job intellectually challenging.
>>
File: 201333579.jpg (247 KB, 1276x820) Image search: [Google]
201333579.jpg
247 KB, 1276x820
>>7733604
Autism is the next step of human evolution with higher dendritic spine density on neurons and overall larger and more developed brains. Stay mad normie.
>>
>>7733641
>2020
>autists smashing mad pussy
>normies gonna be like:
>why im not autist :(
>>
>>7732711
>mentions Alan Turing proving some random CS related stuff when he was 24
24 isn't really impressive. For example, Tikhonov proved that product of arbitrarily many compact topological spaces is compact when he was 20 or something. There are many other examples.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.