[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw doing an [math]\varepsilon>0[/math] proof
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: dj.jpg (19 KB, 600x336) Image search: [Google]
dj.jpg
19 KB, 600x336
>mfw doing an [math]\varepsilon>0[/math] proof
>>
>>7731683
>not using metric space

pleb
>>
e = 2.718
>>
>>7731690
> thinking metric spaces are epsilon-free

enjoy your faggottry and do not use topological spaces, you're too young
>>
>>7731690
>only dealing in discrete spaces
Have fun missing out on topology, smart one
>>
>>7731683
even I can do that and I'm a [spoiler]physicist[/spoiler]
>>
>>7731746
It's not about being able to do it, it's about having to do it over and over and over again.
>>
File: 1437450160091.jpg (29 KB, 375x305) Image search: [Google]
1437450160091.jpg
29 KB, 375x305
>proof using the axiom of choice
>>
>>7731683
Tell me where you ever need this in the real world. Who's gonna pay you for doing epsilon proofs?
>>
>>7733711
>thinks the point of doing epsilon proofs is to get a job doing epsilon proofs
>>
File: 300k.jpg (34 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
300k.jpg
34 KB, 640x427
>>7733711
It's all building up to the point where I get my PhD in Mathematics and make 300k/year starting.
>>
>>7733717
Then what is the point? It's just pseudo-intellectual masturbation. You get a dopamine rush from being told by the teacher that you're a good boy for having dogmatically memorized a completely useless method you'll never need in the real world. Might as well study philosophy or theology.
>>
>>7731683
Can maths explain why Khaled is so based ?
>>
>>7733722
You might be better off on /g/, dear aspiring code monkey
>>
File: 1450557312236.jpg (190 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1450557312236.jpg
190 KB, 2048x1536
>>7733722
>being this pragmatic

What's the real world use of you shitposting on /sci/?
>>
>>7733730
Trust me. I'm a mathematician. I've been through all of it and then I saw how academia really works. Initially you feel all proud of being part of this secret club. You are grateful for receiving all this indoctrination that makes you feel pseudo-intellectual and superior to all outsiders. But in the end you gained no real qualifications whatsoever. What's the difference between someone who can recite mathematical proofs and someone who can receite ancient poems? If you're smart, you do a business, law or medicine degree or learn a trade.
>>
>>7733738
>What's the difference between someone who can recite mathematical proofs and someone who can receite ancient poems?
It's not about the proofs themselves.

It's about properly defining and building up mathematics in a rigorous manner from the ground up. Tell me, how are you gonna solve PDE's (which DO have a real world use) if you don't even know what continuity is?
>>
>>7733745
>Tell me, how are you gonna solve PDE's (which DO have a real world use) if you don't even know what continuity is?
PDEs are almost never solved explicitly. We solve them numerically. Since numerical computations are always just discrete approximations, nobody gives a shit about continuity there. These algorithms are coded by code monkeys who don't even know what "continuity" means.
>>
>>7733768
Hmmm interesting. I guess we should just start off doing everything numerically and with computers because who the hell cares about continuity, compactness and metric spaces in the REAL world?
>>
File: lel2.jpg (60 KB, 655x887) Image search: [Google]
lel2.jpg
60 KB, 655x887
>>7733722
It's to train a way to think - which is relevant in that specific field of work.
>>
>>7733774
Show me a non-mathematician who knows about, let alone gives a shit about, compactness and metric spaces.

inb4 you post a mathematical physicist
>>
>>7733780
My Real Analysis lecturer told me compactness has usefulness in Mathematical Finance.

But every Econometrist I've ever talked to doesn't know about these things.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.