[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Wars Science
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6
File: 151218-starkiller.png (548 KB, 739x547) Image search: [Google]
151218-starkiller.png
548 KB, 739x547
This thing triggered me pretty hard. You can't just suck up stars and shoot them out at shit.

Anyhow star wars science thread, what in star wars is scientifically plausible, what isn't?
>>
>>7730168
>what in star wars is scientifically plausible
Nothing
>>
Can all the manchildren leave /sci/ please.
>>
>>7730171
>implying the force isn't real
>>
>>7730171
everything in science fiction is plausible

just wait until you find the ancient reality shattering technology of the galactic progenitor race and voila!

how did they find out about it? don't worry about it. just know that we will find FTL travel technology and infinite energy technology floating around in perfect working condition one day.
>>
>a fictional story triggered my autism

I feel sorry 4 u
>>
>>7730186
I also get mildly triggered by them talking about light speed travel even though that wouldn't be nearly fast enough for traveling between star systems like they do.
>>
>>7730198
They've had the technology long enough that "lightspeed" just became a casual term for FTL.
>>
>>7730198
Makes me think of the Punyverse from Sluggy Freelance.

I think of the Star Wars universe as being all filled with breathable air, with star systems a few light-hours from each other.
>>
>>7730168
Is quantum mechanics gonna make Star Wars real guys? Please say yes.
>>
>triggered by space fantasy movie

Dude don't worry about it. No one thinks this is any more real than Harry Potter or even the classics like LOTR. Its made up. Enjoy the characters and action. Disregard the science, its not supposed to be real.
>>
>>7730168
>what in star wars is scientifically plausible
blasters. droids. that's about it.
>>
File: 1450320088385.jpg (28 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1450320088385.jpg
28 KB, 400x400
>>7730168
The most amazing thing is how they got the light that comes out of blasters to travel far slower than light. That's a doozy.
>>
>>7730223
what about Coruscant, a planet of over 1 trillion with thousands of unique species that avoids plague, war, famine, being buried in waste, power shortages, etc. even though it has a surface wide urban coverage that's over 5000 layers deep?
>>
>>7730223
Blasters being plausible. :)))))))) Lightsabers far more likely.>>7730229
yss
>>
>>7730229
It's plasma.
>>
File: Assynment.docx.png (58 KB, 655x650) Image search: [Google]
Assynment.docx.png
58 KB, 655x650
>>7730243
"A blaster was any type of ranged weapon that fired bolts of intense light energy. "
From the starwars autismwiki
>>
>>7730185
>everything in science fiction is plausible
Star wars isn't even science fiction.
>>
>>7730245
Well, plasma doesn't weigh much, so I suppose you could call superheated plasma "intense light energy".
>>
Lightspeed travel causes no relativistic time effects in the movie.

Also then the star killer fires what I assume is light people are able to see the beam before it hits them. I guess maybe it isn't light. Same with the blasters.

ALSO I'm ever so slightly upset about the fact that a chick who had no jedi training and who picked up a lightsaber a few days ago beat the pasty evil white guy who had supposedly been training for his entire life.
>>
>>7730841
>Upset that a woman beat a man.
Check your privilege, shitlord.
This is why we need feminism.
>>
>>7730168
Star wars is in the space opera genre, it has absolutely nothing to do with science or science fiction and does not belong on this board.
>>
File: yoda.jpg (106 KB, 1595x1115) Image search: [Google]
yoda.jpg
106 KB, 1595x1115
>>7730943
Perhaps it is you, on this board who does not belong hmm?
>>
>>7730168
>>7730185
In a literal sense, Star Wars is technological fantasy, at best. The large majority of its writing style is directly taken from ancient mythos.
Doubt get me wrong, I've loved Star Wars all my life, but anyone who looks at it as science fiction, and then judges any aspect of the franchise for not fitting scientifically within our universe, really needs to reevaluate what the basis of what they're watching is.
>>
>>7730841
>ALSO I'm ever so slightly upset about the fact that a chick who had no jedi training and who picked up a lightsaber a few days ago beat the pasty evil white guy who had supposedly been training for his entire life.

Well he did have a torn abdominal muscle from a blaster shot, and a ripped shoulder muscle on his dominant arm. And abdominal and arm movement are the two biggest aspects of long sword fighting, so he was at a pretty damn big disadvantage.

Plus, don't forget that she figured out how to use Jedi mind tricks in a like 1day time period after learning she was force sensitive, while Luke had to go through at least 3 years of training before he was shown to be able to do that. I feel like that's the only real bullshit I saw, in relevance to continuity.
>>
>OMG A FANTASY FILM IS WRONG ABOUT REALITY

fucking spergs
>>
>>7731436
Then it shouldn't be discussed on a science board you dumbfuck
>>
>>7730185
>>Ishimura
>>
Guys, guys, guys, step back... I'm about to blow your minds.

What if the Force is the Matrix?
>>
>>7730168
Dude, for starters star wars has never been classified as science fiction, it's a space fantasy so shut up
>>
>>7730168
Not only that, but the planet was covered in snow when it happened.
>>
>>7731476
My midichlorians say no.
>>
>>7730168
I like how the star was replaced after the base blew up. I'm no PHD, but fuuuuuck.
>>
>>7731490
It's only logical
>>
Star Trek has better sci-fi elements than Star Wars
>>
>>7731662
Its also the worse franchise. That's a scientific fact.
>>
The most facepalm moment of the film for me was when they actually fired the thing and you can clearly see in the sky the like 5 planets blow up. YOU CAN'T SEE PLANETS FROM OTHER PLANETS LIKE THAT LEARN 2 SPACE DISTANCE JJ GODDAMN
>>
>>7731791
I would take Star Wars movie over Star Trek movies. However I would take Star Trek tv shows over any movie ever.
>>
Starwars is Science Fiction, but it is also FANTASY. It wasn't meant to be realistic so much as enjoyable.
>>
>>7731813
There is literally no difference between science fiction and fantasy.
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>7731956
Proper science fiction doesn't do anything that breaks the laws of physics.
>>
Tbh I just want them to blow up tatoine. I don't even care why they do it, I'm just tired of them reusing the same settings over and over again
>>
>>7731956
>There is literally no difference between science fiction and fantasy.

Science fiction is about exploring plausible ideas. Its stories could ostensibly take place in the real world. Fantasy is about changing the rules, and often takes place in completely fictional settings (e.g. Middle Earth).

There is a lot of overlap, but they are not the same thing. Star Wars is fantasy but NOT science fiction. If anything, it's a fantasy/western hybrid.
>>
>>7731981

That was Jakku. Pay attention next time.
>>
>>7730230
Pretty fucking plausible actually. Give them a space elevator, cheap scalable fusion technology and a nearby asteroid belt. Easy mode: no space niggers allowed and direct matter to energy conversion (ie everything can undergo fusion/fission so you can use the waste as fuel).
You can literally shoot non recyclable waste into the sun or just store in in orbit for future possible recycling, your energy needs are mostly met, food and shit can be either a la Tantor, having a nearby agricultural world(s) or be grown on a planet using hydroponics and artificial lighting. Nearby asteroid belt gives you practically infinite resources, you could cover entire earth with a single, medium sized asteroid. (fun fact, there's enough iron in 16 Psyche to cover entire earth, not just the land, with 10 meters of solid iron).

Bigger problem is transportation, my God imagine the shithole their metro must be. Making a public transportation for trillion people is suicide tier.

Tl;dr completely plausible given advanced enough tech, but probably inherently shitty to live in.
>>
>>7730168
>>7730198
>>7730229
Lmao @ you fat fuck neckbeards crying about lack of scientific accuracy in a fucking film about fucking space magic what kind of virgin nigger autists are you? I just watched the film it was fucking amazing can't you sperging mongoloids drop the science for even a few hours of your pathetic lives in order to enjoy a fucking film?
>>
>>7733650
>Lmao @ you fat fuck neckbeards crying about lack of scientific accuracy in a fucking film about fucking space magic what kind of virgin nigger autists are you? I just watched the film it was fucking amazing can't you sperging mongoloids drop the science for even a few hours of your pathetic lives in order to enjoy a fucking film?
You win an internet anon.
>>
>>7730198
At the very end fozzie bear was flying the ship at light speed then once they approached a planet they instantly stopped and were just approaching slowly like normal.
Like asshole where'd all your momentum go and how didn't you even lurch forward in your seat that's incredible
>>
>>7734272
>what are inertial dampners
>>
>>7734272
>he doesn't know about inertial dampners

get a load of this trekkie
>>
>>7734924
>>7734880

In Star Wars parlance, they are properly acceleration compensators.

>>7731956
There is hard science fiction, and then there is soft science fiction. Hard Science fiction cares and tries, really tries, to be plausible. Star Wars is science fiction, because inherently its setting assumes that the acheivements are made by scientifically explained processes (generally, the Force may be in a grey zone).

For contrast, say, the Lord of the Rings explains the incredible feats of the characters largley by not magical powers.

In the end, they both explain about as much, and probably the authors knew about as much, but there is a difference.
>>
Probably the most unrealistic part of the movie was the people on the ground watching other planets blow up in real time.
The story sucked, the character development sucked, all the physics REALLY sucked (the way ship hulls behaved under stress was totally unrealistic too). The atmospheric scattering in the CGI was pretty awesome though...
>>
>>7730168
>concerned about the science in a movie with psychic knights using laser sword that can manipulate some unseen force to do to their bidding
>>
>>7735246
>psychic
thats caused by microbes that create some kind of invisible field of energy that can be transmuted into other forms of matter and act as a medium to control matter with like telekinesis, though the lifeforce sucking thing is literal fucking magic.

Laser swords are also possibly if we knew how to contain a concentrated light beam emission into a single finite length using magnetic fields in a convenient package.
>>
>>7730168
I'm still triggered by cell phones and electrons. Those fuckers should spin directly into the core in the fraction of a second, yet they insist on breaking the laws of physics.
>>
File: Youresofullofshit.gif (18 KB, 214x200) Image search: [Google]
Youresofullofshit.gif
18 KB, 214x200
>>7735270
>I'm still triggered by cell phones and electrons. Those fuckers should spin directly into the core in the fraction of a second, yet they insist on breaking the laws of physics.

Your autism triggers me.
>>
>>7735239
OK they physics of star wars have always been bad though. Your other points are just wrong.
>>
>>7732407
Well if the not-death star sucked up one of tatoonie's suns to refuel...

That being said as someone with a brain the complete lack of science in this film was not acceptable, and I'm not even talking about the (lack of) plot.
>>
>>7735585
Autism: the post, the expirence
>>
What made them think it was a good idea to make a second Death Star the main thing in the movie anyway
>>
>>7735765
You mean a third Death Star?

I suspect the idea originated in the same jew, who thought it would be a good idea to cram the full development of the mandatory interracial love story into the first episode of the trilogy, instead of distributing it logically across the number of movies they knew they would be making anyway.

For fuck's sake, this stupidity can no longer be attributed to Lucas alone! What the hell is going on in the film industry today?
>>
>>7730168
I enjoyed the movie, I like Ren and she also is hot.
And I also hated this starkiller base. With a hole like this, it shouldn't even have an atmosphere anymore. Even if they supplement it with additional gas, thousands of kilometres of gas compressed over each other would probably turn the liquified gas into an ocean and flood the canon.
The existing trees on it would die after its first shot, which also would kick the planet out of orbit.

And all these coincidences. Coincidently under millions of spaceships in the galaxy, they find the millenium falcon. And coincidently Han Solo ragains control of it after they got there.
The worst moment for me was when Finn lands on the planet exaxtly in the same place where Ray and the droid is.
>>
>>7736717
>I like Ren and she also is hot.
Kylo Ren is a dude
>>
>>7736717
The force works in mysterious ways
>>
>>7735813
Lucas didn't participate in it.
>>
>>7736759
Talking about Rey, sorry.
>>
is this a starship

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MvacG_nhD34
>>
It's a movie for entretainment
Fiction

imagination where all can happen
>>
>>7739280
pedo
>>
>>7730171
/thread

Star Wars is high fantasy with laser katanas and other Sci-Fi trappings. It is embarrassing even to other space opera authors.
>>
>>7730198
>kessel run in under 14 parsecs
>star fags will defend this
>>
>>7731424
I feel like her ability to use the force was accelerated by kylo trying to fuck with her brain
>>
>>7735257
Not caused by microbes you fuck. Learn your star wars.
>>
>Sound propagating through space
Seems legit
>>
>>7740245
had an out loud lol
>>
>>7730230
You spelled Trantor wrong
>>
>>7730168
Anything is possible if we set our minds to it
>>
>getting buttmad about scientific accuracy in fiction
>>
>>7730168
Starwars is science fantasy and not science fiction.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.