[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the multiverse plausible? Are there good science reasons pointing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: QnaZzCc.jpg (290 KB, 1215x1600) Image search: [Google]
QnaZzCc.jpg
290 KB, 1215x1600
Is the multiverse plausible? Are there good science reasons pointing to it?
>>
>>7729836
no
>>
>>7729836
It's a meme
>>
>>7729836
In some alternative universe, I'm with sweet 80's Molly. Reason enough to believe.
>>
File: Planck_CMB.jpg (2 MB, 1920x960) Image search: [Google]
Planck_CMB.jpg
2 MB, 1920x960
Is it plausible? Yes. Are there good science reasons pointing to it? Yes, inflation is a wonderfully successful model of the early universe but once it start's it doesn't stop. Eternal inflation is often though of an optional branch of inflation but even Guth admits it's a necessarily implication.

There are scientific arguments that point to it but not strongly enough that it should be accepted.
>>
>>7729836
I'm fucking your mom in a parallel universe.
>>
>>7729836
Who is she?
>>
>>7729836
i'd say it's more of a theoretical/mathematical idea.
there is one, but it's irrelevant since we can't acces or study other universes since they
re DIFFERENT FUCKING UNIVERSES.

so it is, but it's irrelevant so to a human observer it isn't
>>
>>7729836
There migt be one, but the fucking definition states that it is separate from our universe, and exerts no inflence on us. Kind of hard to find it then
>>
>>7729836
Just a fucking theory, nothing really proved. I a another universe i was fucking your mom.
>>
the cool thing about it is although you can't prove the multiverse, you also can't prove it doesn't exist. according to everett, every quantum event causes splitting of the universes, creating a universe for each scenario.
>>
i don't like the pop sci notion that the multiverse is made up of coin tosses.

i have no problem believing that there are regions with no spacetime separating regions with spacetime.
>>
>>7731373
Morons getting involved in physics was the worst thing to happen, especially with regards to something new, strange, and open to interpretation.

What happened to all the intelligent and well rounded people who had the brains to not just jump to this shit, and communicate themselves properly? People like Dirac, Feynman, Heisenberg. Planck. Newton, Leibniz. Maxwell. They weren't afraid to have their ideas, but motherfucking hell they just didn't do any of this. You can't turn on the TV without some dumbfuck physicist presenting string theory as fact (and a heavily watered down version at that), or many worlds, or multiverse, or whatever happens to get your ideological dick hard that day.

They don't present possibilities and try to establish a framework where they're communicating to people what they did, and what they saw as a result, and what that might mean. They're presenting high level subjective conclusions as truths, and I'm fucking sick of it.

If one more person looks at me and says "the universe is infinite, science says so" I'm going to lose it. I bet they don't even know what spatial shit those ideas are derived from.
>>
>>7731395
no one is presenting the multiverse as "truth". even string theory, although the closest to the theory of everything that we have now, isn't considered 100% actual and true because our science isn't developed enough to prove it. in fact, we've come to the point where we can hardly prove anything because it's rather unmeasurable or takes too much time to happen.
as for the infinity of the universe, it's just the best science can give to people right now, because if they say it's not infinite, they'll have to come up with a different explanation. we've been now given the easiest answers for a while because the shit that's happening in the universe is too intricate for our minds.
>>
>>7729836
If there is an infinite number of multiverses then there exists a universe which has been able to make contact with our universe and prove that it is real due to the law of large numbers. Since this has not happened the idea of a multiverse is fucking retarded.
>>
>>7730063
We're all gonna fuck his mom in an alternate universe
>>
>>7729836
I actually just read about this yesterday. The leading mathematical equations trying to explain the universe leave a lot of room for multiple other universes to exist and they are a good temporary explanation for how certain things work. But there is no solid evidence for them. They are more like what dark matter currently is.
>>
>>7733120
Except we have actually mapped dark matter by its gravitational lensing. Dark matter actually exists. We have to figure out how to detect it, but we have observed it, unlike multiple universes.
>>
>>7729836
In theory, sure. Practically, we might never know. Look up George Ellis on the matter.
>>
File: 1448810099649.png (787 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
1448810099649.png
787 KB, 1600x1000
alternate timelines/universes exist in an abstract kind of way. its just a bunch of what ifs. as of now we cant physically explore these probabilities but it is possible
>>
>>7733134
Knowing that "dark matter exists" in this way is little more than knowing the areas and locations of deep ditches in the ground without having the slightest clue why they are there or what's in them.
I guess still, multiverses are less certain than even dark matter, but I think my general analogy is still useful.
>>
File: Is OP a faggot?.jpg (117 KB, 937x960) Image search: [Google]
Is OP a faggot?.jpg
117 KB, 937x960
>>7729836
Bro, did you even watch Steins;Gate?
>>
I think that multiple universes can exist. However, maybe I'm just a pleb but I can't comprehend the idea of a copy of myself in some other universe doing other obscure things It's just such a bizarre notion to me.
>>
Multiverse where one thing went up instead of down and caused a chain reaction where everything is completely different on a grand scale I could buy.

One where op has a gf is just absurd.
>>
>>7733346
kek
>>
>>7733283
The Sci;ADV universe isn't a multiverse though.
>>
>>7730028
>>7730063
>>7731355
>>7733118
>>7733168
>>7733341

multiverse =/= many-worlds
>>
>>7730069

>right click - google search
>>
dude multiverse lmao
dude earth made from weed lmao
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.