[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /sci/ enjoy astrophysics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: galaxy_spacewarp-1024x537.jpg (190 KB, 1024x537) Image search: [Google]
galaxy_spacewarp-1024x537.jpg
190 KB, 1024x537
Does /sci/ enjoy astrophysics?
>>
>>7729558
Yes, I love astrophysics! But I must ask what is that image you posted? I looks like some kind diagram for a space hole or something of the like. Why is that bright light culminating in the center of it?
>>
>>7729614
gods asshole ofc
>>
>>7729558
My astronomy teacher once told us a lot of it is speculation, don't know how i feel about it now.
>>
>>7729558
>astro"physics"
>"hard" science

kek

your only career path is to become a pop sci writer
>>
>dark bullshit
>>
As a hobby since there's not much of a career in it
>>
>>7729733
This, sadly

I wish this wasn't true, I wish it so fucking badly
>>
>that guy in your class who talks about astrophysics and cosmology without being able to do any of the math
>>
>>7729558
is astrophysics a meme?
>>
>>7729733
Really? Damn that's really sad man, not even with a Ph.D.? Like working in a observatory? R&D? NASA?
I'm actually interested to know
>>
>>7731060
You will be fighting with hundreds of other people for any avaible shitty position in which you don't even get to look at the sky, but mostly sit in front of a computer doing lots of calculations 12h/day

The fact is that there's not a lot of money going into astro. This may change some decade from now, but atm I really wouldn't advice it as a career path. If you don't need a job and come from a wealthy family, sure, go for it.
>>
>>7731068
Damn i really want to pursue this career path and do research in this area, i don't if i simply just sit infront of a computer. I prefer to be involved with a telescope though. Will this change in the years to come, because it will be awhile until I finish my Ph.D.
>>
>>7731109
I would get another degree which is more practical, for example a engineering degree. Then get a job at a facility that is in close contact with related research. You can then just work to gain a second degree in astrophysics.
>>
>>7731120
Can i finish my degree in astrophysics first, then use that to pursue an engineering masters/phd depending on the situation
>>
File: clerks.png (553 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
clerks.png
553 KB, 1280x720
astrophysics undergrad here, graduating next semester. I've done a bit of research, used telescopes all over the world, had an intense observational astronomy course and at this point I am completely turned off from the whole field. idk about you, but I went into the field because I had a lot of optimism and idealism regarding it~~probing the "deepest" human questions--where did everything come from, where is it all going? the reality is that you don't actually look through telescopes, you submit coordinates to some telescope operator, then you sit in front of a computer, look at atomic spectra, crunch data, write up very stale research. I find the reality of the field to be so boring. it might be more interesting to actually teach. don't fall for the astrophysics meme like I did.
>>
>>7731237
>the reality is that you don't actually look through telescopes, you submit coordinates to some telescope operator, then you sit in front of a computer, look at atomic spectra, crunch data, write up very stale research
What else did you expect
>>
>>7731240
Create a time travel machine.
>>
>>7731237
I'm more concerned with the job ur gonna get after u graduate
>>
>>7731237
It was lookin at spectra on computer screens that really got me into it.
>>
>>7731237
Would rather be the telescope operator
>>
>>7731237
I'd rather be looking at atomic spectra all day instead of looking at memes.
I'm a Java developer and I can feel how it rots my brain.
>>
>>7729558
astrophysics is a meme
>>
>>7729640
Astrophysics is hatdest physics acrtually.
Good asteophysician should know everything and should know a lot of in every field of physics. Every.
>>
File: 1401872035410.jpg (120 KB, 960x711) Image search: [Google]
1401872035410.jpg
120 KB, 960x711
>>7729558
>Does /sci/ enjoy astrophysics?

/sci/ doesn't give a shit about any of the sciences, outside of what's in their course requirements. If you haven't guessed by now, it's a bunch of STEM undergrads, mostly failing at math (HOW DO I CALCULUS? ;_; ), who want to spend four years working so they can spend the next forty not working, and sitting in a cubicle playing Warcraft when the boss isn't around, which is almost always...engineers pretty much get carte blanche at every company stupid enough to trust them and their zero work ethic...

Unfortunately, their jobs are in a continual state of being exported to poo-tier countries, so their prospects and longevity at a given organization are shittier by the year...

Pic related. That's not a size comparison of the planets, lol.
>>
>>7729558
i took an astrophysics class in college. the professor's main research area was in eclipsing binary stars, so there was a large focus on that. I must say, personally, calculating the mass of the smaller binary pair based on the period of orbit and the amount of starlight that was occluded when the smaller pair passed in front of the big star was quite boring; it was simply geometry.

However, I found the cosmology and stellar nuclear chemistry bits pretty neat.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.