[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Say it with me.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 11
File: Aluminium-4.jpg (195 KB, 706x706) Image search: [Google]
Aluminium-4.jpg
195 KB, 706x706
>al-oo-min-ee-yum
>>
File: dddd.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
dddd.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
Al-u-in-me-mum m8?

i told u shes me mum an u cant be porkin er m8

i swear bruv
>>
>>7728085
I'll-be-in-ya-mum
>>
The phrase is 'repeat after me', Bernd.
>>
I prefer 'alimium'. Original, consistent and most logical. I have the autisms by the way.
>>
>>7728055

That's the correct pronunciation in British English but it's wrong in American English. If the concept of different dialects blows your mind, you're probably not suited for a career in the sciences.
>>
>>7728085
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Dsp5ukRJmW
>>
Now do Mo
>>
>>7728055
found the pleb
>>
i've always pronouned it:

"all-you-min-um"

but then again i only have an IQ of 0.99 repeated, so what do i know.
>>
Said the lady to the tinker when she wanted her pot repaired, "Are you copper bottoming 'em sir?" "No," he replied, "I'm aluminiuming 'em ma'am!"
>>
>>7728055
>platinum
>molybdenum
>tantalum
>Man who discovers it calls it "aluminum"

>Let's call it "aluminium"
Only the finest in linguistic absurdities from the Brits. I love you guys and your fancy made-up dialect.
>>
>Davy settled on aluminum by the time he published his 1812 book Chemical Philosophy: "This substance appears to contain a peculiar metal, but as yet Aluminum has not been obtained in a perfectly free state, though alloys of it with other metalline substances have been procured sufficiently distinct to indicate the probable nature of alumina."[78] But the same year, an anonymous contributor to the Quarterly Review, a British political-literary journal, in a review of Davy's book, objected to aluminum and proposed the name aluminium, "for so we shall take the liberty of writing the word, in preference to aluminum, which has a less classical sound."[79]
>originally aluminum
>shitposted by some asshole into aluminium because it didnt sound important enough
>>
>>7728167
>75 elements end in -ium
>cherry pick 3 that don't
>(you)
>>
loomjum
>>
>>7728167
Right?? Man, I love the arbitrary spelling changes: colour, paedophile, centre, etc and the way they fucking call it "maths." Did u revise the maths yer reading for m8?

MATHS
A
T
H
S
>>
>>7728055
al-lah-hu-ak-bar
>>
>>7728242
Last I checked you don't call it 'mathematic'.
>>
>>7728253
if abbreviations had to follow the pluralization and pronunciation rules of their full word then many, many words in the english language would be very different than they are

holding math to a special standard in that respect is illogical and inconsistent and just demonstrates how insecure the special snowflake brits are
>>
>>7728263
Got any reasons to call it 'math' over maths?
>>
File: ComfyGuyMexicanVersion.jpg (52 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
ComfyGuyMexicanVersion.jpg
52 KB, 409x409
Aluminio
>>
>>7728055
Magnesum. Sodum.
>>
>>7728268
Because mathematics isn't actually a plural word, look up the Greek etymology.
>>
>>7728292
Still not a legitimate reason to call it 'math' over maths.
>>
Ad vur ties ment

USA

...partially fond of ad vur tis ment
>>
>>7728055
But still fuck you.
>>
>>7728297
>not actually a plural word
>that's not a reason to leave the "s" off an abbreviation
Lad...
>>
>>7728310
The 's' in 'maths' isn't referring to plurality. If you actually looked up the Greek etymology you would understand this.

Also we call it mathematics in Britain. Least in all the schools I went to.
>>
>>7728314
>The apparent plural form in English, like the French plural form les mathématiques (and the less commonly used singular derivative la mathématique), goes back to the Latin neuter plural mathematica (Cicero), based on the Greek plural τα μαθηματιkά (ta mathēmatiká), used by Aristotle (384–322 BC), and meaning roughly "all things mathematical"; although it is plausible that English borrowed only the adjective mathematic(al) and formed the noun mathematics anew, after the pattern of physics and metaphysics, which were inherited from the Greek.[27] In English, the noun mathematics takes singular verb forms. It is often shortened to maths or, in English-speaking North America, math.[28]

So basically, everyone's right.
>>
>>7728314
I'm taking a class next semester called mathematical methods. For short we call it "Math Methods" because there's no s in mathematical and "Maths Methods" would sounds fucking retarded.
>>
>>7728332
Cool.
>>
>>7728336
thanks
>>
I don't know man, I handle aluminum all the time and haven't had any problems
>>
>>7728055
Ayy-lma-nee-oom

Am I doing it right?
>>
>aluminum should be called 'aluminium' because metals end in 'ium'!

cobalt
silver
gold
tungsten
copper
>>
>>7728055
Iron
Copper
Silver
Gold
Tin
Lead
Zinc
Platinum
Cobalt
Tantalum
Mercury
Aluminum

If anything, calling it aluminium makes it odd in comparison to the other 'common metals'.

I don't get it, would you prefer we called iron 'ironium'? Tin, 'tinium'? Why is it more 'correct' to call aluminum 'aluminium'? Protip: It isn't.
>>
A - lum - num
>>
>>7728397
>>7728418
First of all, you have to consider the original names of the elements, if you want to make a point. Here i'm talking about latin names and if a such doesn't exist, then don't use the retarded name, like "tungsten"... "Tungsten" is called "wolfram" in any language, that is not affected by a retarded swede back in the day...
But you are unfortunately right, because even if you don't use retarded languages gold is still called "aurum" in latin - ergo it has no "-ium" ending.
There you go, I just made an arguement, that was the one that you should have used.

But still "aluminum" sounds stupid and retarded - people, please stop using it
>>
Aluminum

Al-oo-min-um

NOT ALUMINIUM YOU STUPID SHIT
>>
>>7728418
>Plat-oo-min-ee-yum
>>
>>7728462
"Aluminum" sounds like a real thing.
"Aluminium" sounds like a made up bullshit British word/phrase, like wibbly dibbly or tiddleywink.
>>
>>7728462
Insightful and interesting, but work on those comma placements.

Other than that, I really don't care which name people call our favorite little lightweight as long as they aren't causing a kerfuffle whenever someone uses the other name; that's when it gets ridiculous. Same thing with words like 'favorite' as opposed to 'favourite'; both are correct, so whatever.
>>
>>7728055
Ahh-Loom-In-Um
>>
>>7728055
Ya wot m8? avin a pint from an aLOOminium can?
>>
al loo min um
>>
File: 1449794842559.png (526 KB, 524x597) Image search: [Google]
1449794842559.png
526 KB, 524x597
Humphry Davy settled on aluminum by the time he published his 1812 book Chemical Philosophy. Its aluminum britfags.
>>
>>7728462
>But still "aluminum" sounds stupid and retarded
Actually I'm quite sure that you sound stupid and retarded.
>>
What is the point of this thread?
>>
>>7728868

aussie shitposters are patricians and the rest of the world are plebs
>>
File: 62gtMOdF-DL.jpg (67 KB, 980x300) Image search: [Google]
62gtMOdF-DL.jpg
67 KB, 980x300
Fruitoftheloominium
>>
ayylmaoium
>>
>>7728242
Americans just don't know how to spell words.
They spell it "defense" ignoring the fact that "defence" comes from "fence".
Embarrassing.
>>
This entire thing is stupid. Roosevelt wanted to separate the US and the UK in terms of spelling. So he removed the 'u's in words that he felt didn't need them. It doesn't matter. I go to school in the U.S. and have UK spelling before and have never been faulted for it by an educator. That being said the UK is still a shithole inferior to America. Aluminum is the only correct way of speaking.
>>
So, Idontcarium, OR Idontcarum?

Srsly, we're still running out of platinum and other rare earths at an alarming rate, and you fagets argue over tinfoil?
>>
>>7728055
A-lew-mi-num?
>>
Aluminum
əˈlo͞omənəm/
What the fuck is wrong with you fucking britfags. where is the extra I or Y that makes a ee sound? You are fucking retarded autists I swear to god. Snatch said it best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGuGzH3Ne5w
>>
>>7728055
>yum
Nope
>>
>>7728055
ahh-loo-min-uhm
>>
>>7729210
>offense comes from "fence"
Yeah sure buddy.
>>
>>7728418
In my language it's

Eisen
Kupfer
Silber
Gold
Zinn
Blei
Zink
Platin
Kobalt
Tantal
Quecksilber
Aluminium
I don't see how aluminum would be better.
>>
I don't know man, I handle aluminum all the time and haven't had any problems
>>
>>7728271
Pinche paisa
>>
>>7728055
I don't know man, I handle aluminum all the time and haven't had any problems.
>>
>>7728397
Cobaltium
Silverium
Goldium
Tungstenium
Copperium
It just rolls off the tongue.
>>
File: Cookie_Monster.jpg (13 KB, 320x279) Image search: [Google]
Cookie_Monster.jpg
13 KB, 320x279
alumin-nom-nom-nom-nom-nom-nom
>>
>>7729407
And I don't see how it's worse, so can we all agree that we don't give a darn what you call it since we all know what it is anyway?
>>
>>7728055
that uneven bevel on that piece triggers the fuck out of me
>>
I'm Canadian and we say ahh-loo-min-uhm even though we take a lot of British idiosyncrasies like "colour"

Also, it's "math". Saying "maths" makes you sound retarded with a lisp.
>>
>>7728501
Yeah, I never did get a hold of comma placement in english, the grammar rules in this respect seems fuzzy to me.
>>7728489
It's latin, you moron. How the hell does any latin sound british?!
>>
>>7729827
inorite?

OP deliberately chose the shittiest pic of aluminium I've ever seen
>>
>>7728136
>American English
there's no such thing
>>
>>7729626
I don't know man, I handle aluminum all the time and haven't had any problems.
>>
>>7728055
>not identifying differences in dialects and recognizing that both pronunciations are correct
>>
all-your-minimum
>>
>>7728332
This comment has no relevance
A+
>>
File: 1377860070579.png (75 KB, 666x569) Image search: [Google]
1377860070579.png
75 KB, 666x569
>>7730282
>>7730257
>Different dialects
OK now that we have got that out of the way can we move on to the REAL debate here:

Imperial Vs SI Units
>>
>>7730282
Wez loomin now mub da mo bidda te dat tum muhfugen bix nood cof bin dub ho muhfugga
>>
ayylmaonium?
>>
>>7728332
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UspZGJ-TrI&t=0m19s
>>
>>7730905
god damn shitty embedded link, skip to 0:19
you know what, fuck it, fuck it, the whole things ruined now. FUCK
>>
>>7730906
Works for me, skipped to 0:19
>>
>>7730910
If you check the link it's timestamped at 0:19 so it's supposed to automatically start at 0:19 but I guess that doesn't work when you embed it, only if you actually copy the fuckin thing and paste it in the url search bar
>>
>>7730912
Yes that's obviously what I meant the video automatically skipped and started playing at 0:19.
>>
>>7730920
oh, nice. Guess my pc is just fucked then
>>
>>7730928
What browser are using?
>>
>>7730942
ch-chrome...
>>
>>7728055
al-oo-min-yum

over time the last syllables sucks to have to say so we shortened it to

al-oo-min-um
>>
>>7730961
Actually it shouldn't work when you embed it on 4chan.
>>
File: 1432812087798.png (28 KB, 321x225) Image search: [Google]
1432812087798.png
28 KB, 321x225
>>7730961
At least use Chromium anon. Come on.

>Google's general attitude and actions when
>>
>>7731209
I was having a bunch of issues when using chromium. Compatibility issues and general crashing.
>>
>>7731210
Did you build from source yourself?
Did you download someone else's build?
What platform?

It could be you just had an unstable build / revision.
>>
>>7731211
win 10 :^3
>>
>>7731212
That answered one of the questions...
Well, if you want, you can try builds from here
https://storage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-continuous/index.html?prefix=Win_x64/
Go to the very end of the list for the latest. Go back a directory if you're using a 32 bit OS for some terrible reason that should have been gone years ago.
>>
>>7731217
Oh. And download "mini_installer.exe". It just extracts itself into appdata/local.
>>
>>7731217
My point is that ultimately it didn't matter.
Thanks anyways, i'll consider using it on my laptop.
>>
>>7728136
Isn't it al-yoo in British English, not al-oo?
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.