[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
book recommendations thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 1449015328952.gif (2 MB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
1449015328952.gif
2 MB, 245x245
Ask and recommend

What is a good book on optimization? Especially computational optimization techniques.
>>
I believe Knuth has a section somewhere in TAOCP.
>>
Recommending: Wooldridge's Introductory Econometrics. It's a good starter book for anyone who has a little bit of stats experience. For an introductory book, it's very broad, and should be useful for someone looking for a good self study book. Covers time series as will.

Request: Just finished a calculus based introductory probability and statistics class. Where do I go from here if I want to delve deeper into probability?
>>
>>7724506
>you will never be a qt black girl living in NY
>>
looking for a really comprehensive book on differential equations. I need:
*ODEs
*PDEs
*laplace transform methods
*power series methods
*a thorough coverage of numerical methods

I really prefer textbooks that cover lots of ground quickly and thoroughly without baby sitting (eg. baby rudin, stroustups C++)

Lots of exercises and an easily available solutions manual are preferred.
>>
>>7724551
Used Boyce and Di Prima just this semester for DE/PDEs. Read pretty well, learned mostly from the book, and it has pretty much all the answers in the back for practice (answers, not full solutions mind you).
>>
>>7724575
looks like an awful book and it only covers ODEs anyway

I've decided to go with simmons book as it covers everything I need and seems well regarded
>>
>>7724620
It is an awful book. If i had a better book I would tell you it :(
>>
Introductory combinatorics for self-study (with full or partial solutions at least for odd-numbered exercises).
>>
Request: non-mammoth sized book on parallel algorithms - something useful for gpu CUDA computing.
>>
Any book/resources with problems involving matrix and/or vector calc? Need to get some practice in
>>
Request, undergrad logic book, prepping for logic classes next semester.
>>
>>7724788
>Grad or undergrad?
Introductory, so I suppose undergrad (but you may list all variants so it will be universal advise).
>Graph theory connections or Analysis connections?
Give me both variant, please, and I will choose then.
>>
Confessions of an economic hitman
-Author talks about how he was employed to bring latin american countries to their knees economically

Request: Anything related to economics or finance that isnt a textbook or an investors' book in how to be a successful investor etc.
>>
>>OP
>>Single Variable Calculus
>Weak Students
"Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus Thompson and Martin Gardner
"Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach" (Dover) by Morris Kline
"Elementary Calculus: An Infinitesimal Approach" by Jerome Keisler (Uses infinitesimals)
"A First Course in Calculus" by Serge Lang

>Strong Students
"Calculus" by Spivak (Good mathematical exposition, poor motivation, no applications)
"Calculus, Vol. 1: One-Variable Calculus, with an Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Apostol (Good motivation and problems)
"Introduction to Calculus and Analysis, Volume I" by Richard Courant and Fritz John (Good motivation and applications, very difficult problems)

>Classic References
"A Course of Pure Mathematics" by G. H. Hardy
"Introduction to Analysis of the Infinite", "Foundations of Differential and Integral Calculus" by Euler

>>Multivariable and Vector Calculus
>Weak
"Div, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus" by Schey
"Calculus of Several Variables" by Serge Lang

>Intermediate
"Calculus, Vol. 2: Multi-Variable Calculus and Linear Algebra with Applications to Differential Equations and Probability" by Apostol
"Introduction to Calculus and Analysis, Volume II" by Richard Courant and Fritz John

>Advanced
"Advanced Calculus of Several Variables" (Dover) by C. H. Edwards Jr.
"Advanced Calculus: A Geometric View" by Callahan
"Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra and Differential Forms: A Unified Approach" by Hubbard and Hubbard
"Advanced Calculus: A Differential Forms Approach" by Harold M. Edwards
"Advanced Calculus" by Shlomo Zvi Sternberg and Lynn Harold Loomis (for the utterly fearless)
>>
>>Analysis
>Single Variable (with Metric Spaces)
"Real Mathematical Analysis" by Pugh (weaker version of Rudin)
"Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Rudin
"Mathematical Analysis" by Apostol
"Mathematical Analysis I & II" by Zorich

>Multivariable Analysis
"Functions of Several Variables" by Fleming
"Analysis on Manifolds" by Munkres
"Calculus on Manifolds" by Spivak
"Differential Forms and Applications" by do Carmo

>Fourier Analysis
"Fourier Series" (Dover) by Tolstov
"Fourier Analysis: An Introduction" by Stein & Shakarchi
"Fourier Analysis and its Applications" by Folland
"Fourier Analysis" by Körner
"Fourier Series and Integrals" by Dym and McKean

>Complex Analysis
"Visual Complex Analysis" by Tristan Needham (reference)
"Complex Analysis" by Stein & Shakarchi
"Functions of One Complex Variable" by Conway
"Complex Analysis" by Ahlfors

>Real Analysis (Measure Theory)
"Real Analysis: Measure Theory, Integration, and Hilbert Spaces" by Stein & Shakarchi
"Real Analysis" by Royden
"Real Analysis: Modern Techniques and Their Applications" by Folland
"Real and Complex Analysis" by Rudin
>>
>Matrix Algebra
>Weak
"Matrices and Linear Algebra" (Dover) by Schneider and Barker
>Average
"Matrices and Linear Transformations" (Dover) by Cullen
>Honors
"Linear Algebra Done Wrong" by Treil (also an intro to proofs and free online)

>Applied Linear Algebra
"Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by Strang
"Matrix Analysis and Applied Linear Algebra" by Meyer

>Numerical Linear Algebra
"Matrix Computations" by Golub and Van Loan
"Numerical Linear Algebra" by Trefethen and Bau III
"Matrix Analysis" by Horn and Johnson

>Finite Vector Spaces Theory
"Linear Algebra" by Shilov (Dover Book)
"Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces" by Halmos
"Linear Algebra" by Friedberg, Insel, and Spence
"Linear Algebra" by Hoffman and Kunze
"Linear Algebra Done Right" by Axler (best paired with Shilov)

>Advanced
"Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by Lax
"Advanced Linear Algebra" by Roman
>>
>>7724551
I hate PDEs but John Fritz's book was actually somewhat enjoyable to read when I had to take the course.
And for ODEs the classics are Perko and Arnold, I guess.

>>7724842
A Mathematical Introduction to Logic - Enderton
Introduction to Mathematical Logic - Mendelson
Mathematical Logic - Ebbinghaus
Logic and Structure - van Dalen
>>
>>7724551
Salsa - Partial Differential Equations in Action
Nice book (easy to find online, just google it) with many examples which I found useful for my intro to PDE/functional analysis class last year.
I usually don't go for books that are filled with examples (I think some examples are necessary, not a whole section of them) but I think PDE is a subject where it is especially useful to have many examples worked out since it is a quite technical subject where there is no general method (even when there aren't as many examples, books on PDE do tend to look like catalogues).
>>
>>7724781
Bump
>>
Up
>>
These threads need to be archived and posted on the sticky. Theres a lot of good information that I dont want to lose. MODS.
>>
>>7727100
>threads
Nah, lists should be saved, no threads.
>>
>>7724788
Hi, mate. Are you still alive? Just feed me some books on my request, please.
>>
OP look up linear programming and Karmarkars algorithm.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.