[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the hell are there so many global warming alarmists today?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1415151383329.gif (3 MB, 400x255) Image search: [Google]
1415151383329.gif
3 MB, 400x255
Why the hell are there so many global warming alarmists today? "Oh no, if we don't stop now, it's fucking game over. We'll never get back to where we were before!". Fuck all of you.

You believe in science just long enough to believe climate change, but don't believe that science can also fix this.

>We have too much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, it's all over!
Except for the fact that we can remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere easily. The only thing is, there needs to be more funding to make this more viable as today it's prohibitively expensive (so was solar panels back in 1980, but today you can get one installed at home)

>The sea water is rising! It'll swallow up entire countries!
Today, due to pollution we're running out of fresh water. One of the ideas is using sea water. In the labs, technology exists today that can filter out the salt without needing to boil the water. Again, it's expensive as of today, but soon it might not me. The amount of sea water we'd need to give to drought stricken California would be enough that it in and of itself would be able to stem the rising sea levels.

>Species are dying off! We'll never see them again!
Store a diverse set of DNA and cell structures. One day when we're able to create cells from scratch, we'll just make one in that shape and throw the DNA in it. Then, through the magic of science, we'll be able to repopulate once lost species when we've saved the world.
>>
More & more people making careers in "green" bullshit who will profit from more government mandates.

Liberals becoming even more vocal on their stupid memes
>>
>>7723278
Are you slow? The problem isn't that we don't know about these technologies, it's that most people don't care enough to fund them and actually make them viable on a large scale. That's why scientists are so vocal, because we need to develop these technologies but politicians want to keep most of our budget in fossil fuels and military.
>>
>>7723369
They don't though.
Even at the high level paris talks, all they were talking about was sustaining the Earth rather than fixing it.

We have the tech, but no one cares to use it. They just put plugs in their ears and go "la la la la la the world's gonna explode la la la la la can't fix it"
>>
>>7723278
>We can prevent sea level rise by throwing all the water on california

Yeah that'll definitely work! We could also ship the extra to mars and then it would help terraforming! I'm science! You're science, we're both science!
>>
>>7723278
Maybe because those people are realists, acknowledge that we need to start to fix things now, and that they don't have their heads in the sand praying to an imaginary sky fairy called "science!" who at some point in the future will come up with an innovation to fix everything.

>1
Trees are a cheap carbon scrubber f a m, but it will be inter- and intra-governmental action that solves that problem, not large scale chemical carbon scrubbers.

>2
Today, due to pollution we're running out of fresh water. One of the ideas is using sea water. In the labs, technology exists today that can filter out the salt without needing to boil the water.
Reverse osmosis plants exist, and, crazily enough, they are expensive and power hungry and cause local salinity problems from the outflow. Also, the ocean is big.Very big.

>3
What about social and intelligent animals that rely on taught behaviour? Animals raised in captivity are often unable to function in the wild. Also species that die out due to habitat destruction- where will they go?
>>
>>7723362
>>7723396
It's time to go back to your containment board, friends
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7723410
California was just a specific example I gave, but the water can be used elsewhere it is needed.

You'd be surprised how much water humans can use when you give it to them.

I remember seeing somewhere, though I can't find it here, that if all water used in california was replaced with filtered seawater, the ocean water levels would actually DECREASE.

It's not likely that we'd replace all the water used by an entire state, but there's more than just a single drought in the entire world.
>>
>implying its not cheaper to just not unnecessarily pollute in the first place
>implying desalifying water for our needs would have a measurable impact on sea levels
>implying a complex ecosystem is fully described by the DNA of the individual component species (just think how much of humanity would be lost if you only saved the DNA and created some new humans without parents in a strange environment)
>>
>>7723457
>implying desalifying water for our needs would have a measurable impact on sea levels
I actually went ahead and did some back of the napkin calculations based on current sea level rising measurements.

You're somewhat right about this, assuming it's not used in the large scale.

At a 2.7mm rise in sea level every year, that's about 721,000,000,000 litres of water every year. Sounds like a lot? Sure if it's just basic human consumption/urban use. The average american household uses around 1,100 litres of water every day, which means it would take over 650 million people to solely use that water every year to stop sea levels from rising.

Only 11% of the water in California is used for urban consumption. And seeing that california has a population of 38.8 million, means that it uses the equivalent to 353 million people worth of water, or around 1/2 of the entire sea level increase on a year by year basis.

Little bit less than I thought, but again, using desalinated water for all the use in only 2-3 US states, out of the entire fucking world, would be enough to combat rising sea levels.
>>
>>7723477
I wonder how much brine that would produce...
>>
>>7723491
Absolute fucktons, tβh fαm.
But, on the bright side we can stop using salt mines and start using sea salt.
>>
>>7723501
I assumed that saltpans were so cheap that only premium meme-salt was actually mines.
>>
>>7723513
mined*
>>
>>7723477
>1,100 litres of water every day
Jesus fucking christ.
>>
>>7723477
>The average american household uses around 1,100 litres of water a day
Bullshit
>>
>>7723547
>>7723517
>The average American family of four uses 400 gallons of water per day.
http://www3.epa.gov/watersense/pubs/indoor.html

Coming from the EPA, it's pretty reliable.
And actually, it's higher. 400 gallons = 1,514 litres of water a day.
>>
>>7723547
With four people in a household, a good third of that would just be the showers. Add in washing dishes, washing clothes, running the water until it's cold, running the water to wash food in the stream, watering the yard and garden...
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.