[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Plan B
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
I want to be an astronaut.

Childish, I know, but I think I actually have a shot, moreso considering that the space industry will likely expand hugely over the next two years.

Obviously its unlikely though, so this is my question: If i fail to be an astronaut, what other careers can I pursue?

My resume will hopefully look a little like this:
>degree in mechanical engineering from cambridge
>8 years in Air Force as a pilot, ~2000 flight hours
>speak Russian and English
>qualified scuba diver
>extremely physically fit

What backup options will i have?
>>
>ambition
i wish i never fell for this meme
>>
>>7723126

I got into cambridge this year, only due to ambition. 4 years ago i was flunking maths.

Ambition is a great thing!
>>
>>7723130
gfy. i taught myself up through a phd level in math and physics without taking classes and where did i get?
>>
>>7723142

Did you take any exams or get any official accreditation?
>>
>>7723123
>considering that the space industry will likely expand hugely over the next two years.
What makes you think that?
>>
>>7723123
>only bilingual
>>
>>7723145
studied way too hard for 4 years and got a bs in physics. i do math in my dreams and shit but i'm so miserable. lol life will work out i'm sure, somehow i'm optimistic. i just don't care what kind of job i do anymore. i want a gf and a small house and kids who cares if i ever do great things for humanity?
>>
>>7723146

whoops. I meant to say twenty years.

>>7723147

If you get accepted as an ESA candidate astronaut they teach you japanese and shit onsite.

Bilingualism demonstrates that i am capable of learning a language and that is all that matters.
>>
File: 1384108769196.gif (3 MB, 419x384) Image search: [Google]
1384108769196.gif
3 MB, 419x384
>>7723150
>i want a gf and a small house and kids
Aiming real high there m8

Any schmuck can get a girl knocked up and live in a shed - Don't you want to actually live a life worth living and reach your true potential?
>>
>>7723164
>Any schmuck can get a girl knocked up
Y-Yeah OP
>>
File: Ambition-esa-platigeimages.jpg (291 KB, 1280x579) Image search: [Google]
Ambition-esa-platigeimages.jpg
291 KB, 1280x579
>>7723123
>My resume will hopefully look a little like this:
>>degree in mechanical engineering from cambridge
>>8 years in Air Force as a pilot, ~2000 flight hours
>>speak Russian and English
>>qualified scuba diver
>>extremely physically fit
>What backup options will i have?
Tb'h if you ever get a resume like that I don't think back-up plans will ever be a problem for you, m8.

>>7723130
Ambition is a ladder!
>>
>>7723160
Learn French then. The amount of french-speaking people at ESA sites is uncanny (source:ex-stagiaire).
>>
>>7723172

But is that really true? The only remotely transferable thing there I can see will be my degree, and when I apply to a job I will be 8-10 years older than my peers but without any engineering experience to set me apart.

It seems like the only option is career Air Force, which would suck balls as a retirement plan.

>>7723178

Yeah, its on my "Todo" list, but im focussing on my Russian right now.
>>
>>7723183
For instance, you'll certainly be able to land a non-astronaut job at ESA if you're shortlisted for astronaut but don't make the cut. You'll have a lot of transferable skills. I mean, the previous ESA DG was in that situation (as were several directors).

Also, airline pilot I guess.
>>
>>7723164
>Don't you want to actually live a life worth living and reach your true potential?
i'd rather be unassuming and kind m8
>>
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/104112954?sf16932547=1
NASA is accepting job applications for astronauts. Literally all you need is a bachelors degree in STEM. Since you're a pilot I'd say you're over qualified. Good luck anon, I hope to be in your position next time they accept applications once I complete my degree. Hopefully my hand injury isn't too serious to disqualify me.
>>
>>7723123
>What backup options will i have?
Air force officer is one route. Space related startups is another line. And with a good degree from a good university you should in any case have tons of options.

>>7723150
>i just don't care what kind of job i do anymore. i want a gf and a small house and kids
It is easier to do a PhD in Physics than get a good gf. I am writing this from my own experience and that of fellow students. And as a Chinese dude demonstrated recently you can do groundbreaking stuff while working in a dead end job way outside academia. His mathematics career then erupted into elite level. More tan a few universities will probably ask themselves why they gave him rejection letters earlier.
>>
>>7723123
>My resume will hopefully look a little like this:
Pro tip: everyone on this entire planet wants his resume to look like that.

What makes you think YOU'RE the one?
>>
>>7724914
>pro tip
get out of here
>>
File: 1.jpg (726 KB, 3552x2000) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
726 KB, 3552x2000
>>7723123

This bait is so old the pasta has turned cold and dry.

And all you retards fell for it.
>>
>>7723123
>mechanical engineering
>engineering

Dropped.
>>
File: 1433971274971.gif (1 MB, 268x304) Image search: [Google]
1433971274971.gif
1 MB, 268x304
>8 years in Air Force as a pilot, ~2000 flight hours
>speak Russian and English
>qualified scuba diver
>extremely physically fit

be realistic m8
>>
File: 1445859346325.jpg (749 KB, 1920x1356) Image search: [Google]
1445859346325.jpg
749 KB, 1920x1356
>>7725171
>>7724914
>>7725442

This is not bait.
I didnt want to be all braggish, but i am the definition of priviledged.

Rich as fuck lawyer parents, top private school, went flying on family holidays, parents are paying uni fees, etc etc. I feel extremely guilty about it sometimes, but im pretty much in the 1% of the UK i think.

I am only in my first year at cambridge, and I am having to work hard, but I dont think I will flunk out or anything. I wont be picking up Firsts, but I also dont think I need to. Tim Peake went to a thoroughly mediocre university IIRC.

In fact, the only part I am worried about is becoming a jet pilot. Although I already have a couple of dozen flight hours logged on a Grob Tutor plane, the aptitude tests are based more on innate skill than they are education. Thats the one thing I cant effectively guarantee through hard work + a lucky background.

In terms of fitness I am already a powerlifter, and i already match any physical requirements needed. Obviously there will be a transition because a powerlifters physique does not translate into a pilot's, but i dont see that being a problem.

I was Warrant Officer for my schools CCF - i know its a kiddies qualification, but it does mean that I know i enjoy military life and most likely wont have a breakdown or anything.

So I am being fairly realistic. All I need to do is progress my Russian from broken highschool tier to fluent, and become a qualified scuba diver (and not drop out of uni).
>>
>literally going to bad oxford

Stay cucked cambitch
>>
m8 they look for personality first in an astronaut. you could have the best god damn resume under the sun but if you are staler than a brick wall, you dont stand a chance. nasa does this because you share a confined space with 2-6 other people for months on end, and nobody wants to go to space with a brick wall.
>>
>>7725605

astronaut is just the dream. I would be perfectly happy with pretty much any job at the ESA.

and i cant change my personality, so why worry about it?
>>
>>7725533
> I feel extremely guilty about it sometimes
Dont be a cunt. Thats just as much being a cunt about it as flaunting it.
>>
>>7723123
Bruh you will literally make bank with that resume.
I'm a MechE at Cal with a 3.9 and I will probably never be that qualified.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 568x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 568x640
>>7723142
>>
>>7725621
>:(
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.