[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Engineering physics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: black science.jpg (46 KB, 484x417) Image search: [Google]
black science.jpg
46 KB, 484x417
Who here is /physicsengineer/? Is it a meme degree?
>>
>>7716734
>getting a meme degree
>>
>>7716739
>not going to MIT for engineering physics
>>
>>7716746
Literally go kill yourself, kid.
>>
>>7716734
>special snowflake degree because you're too lazy to double major
>"is it a meme degree"

If you need to ask....
>>
File: computer_bye_bye.jpg (41 KB, 445x488) Image search: [Google]
computer_bye_bye.jpg
41 KB, 445x488
>>7716746
>going to MIT for engineering physics
>>
>>7716734
I have an engineering physics degree. Back when I got it, they hadn't introduced specialization tracks. You just had about 120 credits worth of core courses and another 24 credits you could fill with tech electives. I opted for EE courses to fill in.

Seeing as I've been employed as a mechanical engineer, aerospace engineer, and electrical engineer, I'd say the degree was worth it because it gave me a high degree of career flexibility.
>>
>>7716753
Usually the engineering physics degree requires more course work than a double major in physics and an engineering field.
>>
>>7716734
I'm doing that degree in a third world shit hole. Is it a meme degree? I don't have idea, I will discover it.

The fact is that engineering physics is multidisciplinar, you will acquire knowledge of biology, physics, electronics, etc. Nevertheless the deep in each field is slightly lower though you can deepen in your favourite field.

P.D: I'm not a native english speaker, sorry for my bad english.
>>
>>7716763
>I'd say the degree was worth

Anon, I'm doing a engineering physics degree, What would you advice me?
>>
>>7717762
Can you be a little more specific? What's worrying you?

In general -- find some others to study with. They will understand things you don't, and you will understand some things they don't. And make sure you go to office hours with your professors. Treat school like it's your job. You get out of things what you put into them, so give it everything you have.
>>
>>7716734
I'm a physcial scientist graduate. It's almost a memedegree on its own.
But I also got a minor in nanoscience and technology, so its legit.
>>
>>7718363
What would you advice me respect to the deepening lines of the degree?
>>
>>7718594
...I don't understand you. Do you mean specializations? I have no advice from personal experience because my school didn't offer speciality tracks like most schools do now.

Take stuff that interests you. It's what I did.
>>
>>7716734
Stop asking if it's a meme degree.
It's literally a physics degree with humanities requirements being replaced with engineering electives.

The only reason it gets such backlash on /sci/ is because they're butthurt they couldn't get it.
>>
>>7716734
>Is it a meme degree?
Yes. See my rant in the other thread, it especially applies to you.
>>
>>7716734
One of my physics lecturer did a dual masters degree in engineering physics and applied mathematics at Finland; Aalto University. It really is just applied physics.
>>
>>7718650
How the fuck can a degree in engineering physics be a meme? Maybe idiots who don't know any better would consider it a "meme" but really anyone who seriously calls it that is mentally deficient.
>>
>>7718688
I go to the school with the so called #2 engphys program in the states. But nobody here gives a shit, its a meme as far as anyone here's concerned.
>>
>>7718766
Just because *you* don't give a shit doesn't mean that everyone feels the same way.

I still think that calling a degree program a "meme" is retarded.

But I got my engineering physics degree more than 10 years ago so it would have never occurred to any of us to call any physical thing a meme.
>>
>>7716734
I'm at a pretty damn good uni and engineering physics is only open to honors students here, so it's definitely not a meme.
>>
>>7718615
>Do you mean specializations?
Yes, sorry for my bad english , I'm not a native speaker. This is embarrassing.

>Take stuff that interests you
ok, thanks anon
>>
>>7718781
Did you even read what I wrote? I said nobody here gives a shit, including but not limited to me.

The physics department keeps tooting its horn at being #2 and having parties over it yet still even biology classes here are still more in demand than physics classes. Essentially, nobody is falling for it really. Not even employers seem as interested, especially in comparison to just plain old engineering.

Plenty of degree programs are memes. Such as the humanities and the like. It's funny seeing people get buttblasted over it though.
>>
>>7718806
May I ask what pretty damn good uni you go to?
>>
>>7718815
"I don't like your degree therefore It is a meme"
>>
>>7718815
Yes, I read what you said. However, I don't exactly believe you. I'm pretty sure the people in that program care about it.

Biology will be more in demand because it is perceived as being easier. Why is having a higher supply of graduates necessarily a good thing? Companies still need graduates who are prepared to be engineers. They also need biologists, but not nearly as many as universities are churning out.

Biology departments are growing in response to a rise in demand from students, not from employers. Good job at falling for that one.

The fact that you continue to call something like a degree a "meme" just tells me that you are not the sharpest tool in the shed. Keep shitposting, kid.
>>
>>7718781
We're post 2008, senpai. If you don't come out of college with directly applicable skills, no one wants you.

If you use it to get into a good graduate school, then yes, it doesn't really matter as long as your GPA and GRE are good. It doesn't really differentiate you from regular physics, though
>>
>>7718810
It's okay. What specializations are available to you?

After I graduated, my university added specialty tracks in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Biomedical Engineering. Other universities with Engineering Physics programs have Aerospace Engineering specialties.

When it comes to getting employment after graduation it is hard to go wrong with any of these. Besides, just because you get a degree in something doesn't mean you'll necessarily work in that field. I have a BS in Engineering Physics and an MS in Fluid Mechanics and work as an electrical engineer.

Whatever you choose, you're setting yourself up for good career prospects
>>
>>7718824
>If you don't come out of college with directly applicable skills, no one wants you.

I agree completely. That should have always been true but the finance industry got stupid in the early 00's and started hiring every Ivy Leaguer who looked good in a suit, no matter what degree they had.

> If you use it to get into a good graduate school, then yes, it doesn't really matter as long as your GPA and GRE are good.

I did that, but not because I couldn't find a job. Hell, I should not have gone on to get the MS, because I got out of school right at the end of 2007, when things started to tank. I found a job, but it took a while.

> It doesn't really differentiate you from regular physics, though

Every manager who has ever hired me would disagree with you. I've worked as a mechanical engineer, an aerospace engineer, and as an electrical engineer. I got two of those positions directly because (as I found out later from my bosses) the engineering portion of my engineering physics coursework was a good indicator that I could tackle new concepts in different areas without much difficulty.
>>
>>7718821
>>7718819
>Anyone who calls out my degree as being the meme that it is is dumbo kiddy, waah!!

Enjoy denying reality. You'd better off be with a pure physics degree than whatever "engineering physics" is.
>>
>>7718857
Wow, you just sound more and more retarded.
>>
File: 1448715100783.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1448715100783.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>7718860
You don't have to be mad knowing I'm right. It's as if all you can do to defend your meme major is to call others retarded.

But by all means, enjoy your "engineering physics" meme degree.
>>
>>7718867
The degree has kept me employed for almost 10 years now. It's given me a background that allows me to out-engineer my coworkers who have more specialized degrees. So I have enjoyed it!

Earned it before you young fucking faggots ever started calling real, tangible things "memes". It's as if all you can do to degrade something you don't understand is to call it a meme.

By all means, enjoy your retardation.
>>
>>7718873
>Out-engineer muh coworkers
>muh general edukayshun
So basically all your "engineering physics" degree did for you is make you like some sort of liberal arts major with muh versatile soft skills

>Earned it
Earned a meme degree? Not very hard thing to do. Not exactly something to be proud of familia.

>By all means, enjoy your retardation.
Keep hurling those insults. You're the kid here. As well as the one with the meme degree...
>>
>>7718892
It gave me the equivalent of a triple major in physics, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering

If they're so easy, go earn one and prove everyone wrong
>>
File: 1447729219760.jpg (19 KB, 409x389) Image search: [Google]
1447729219760.jpg
19 KB, 409x389
>>7718898
>triple major in physics, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering

So show us your three BS degrees then. Taking a class in EE, ME and physics doesn't make you a triple major.

>If they're so easy, go earn one and prove everyone wrong

I won't waste my time on something so trivial.
>>
>>7718911
Okay, talking to you is a waste of time because you have poor reading comprehension. Equivalent does not mean "I actually have three degrees".
>>
>>7718917
Well then shove your three equivalencies up your ass. If you did the courseload for those three degrees, then you're entitled to three degrees. Otherwise you're just a lying loser trying to compensate for his meme degree.

Talking to me is only a waste of time on your behalf because you know I'm right and you're just trying to rationalize how wrong you are right now.
>>
>>7718911
hater, Do you have any degree?
>>
>>7718941
>not knowing what an Area is

In my case I did 60 hours in addition to the normal bullshit
>>
>>7718827
>What specializations are available to you?

Well, specializations in your university are divided in a more general way. Here we have this branches to choose:

Biophysics ,radiation physics , theoretical Physics, photonics and optoelectronics, scientific and industrial instrumentation, lasers and spectroscopy, materials and optics.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.