[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On the STEM meme.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6
/sci/ you tell me that STEM is a meme and you can't get jobs.

So tell me this, /sci/, why aren't any of you becoming actuaries?
>>
>>7711935
Because it has math and math sucks cause MURICA & FREEDOM.
>>
>>7711935
because i want a job that wont make me suicidal by the age of 30
>>
>>7711935
what is an actuary
>>
>>7711935
Because STEM is statistically the only degree to justify going into debt.

Just learn a trade if you can't handle it.
>>
>>7711935
Because I actually want to know how electronics work, since the idea of detecting "something" from reality and translating it into a virtual environment is fucking awesome for me.
>>
>>7711935
I went into stem. Got a job right out of college. Make more than anyone in my family.
>>
>>7712061
You from the trailer park?
>>
>>7711935
Because I'd rather major in psychology than become the codemonkey equivalent of "finance"
>>
>>7712025
>having to go into debt for education
LAND OF THE FREE
>>
File: 1342794357035.jpg (40 KB, 390x478) Image search: [Google]
1342794357035.jpg
40 KB, 390x478
>>7711935
Because I've been led to believe that my STEM superiority entitles me to work at any technology company of my choosing.

Because I'm in denial that STEM is a fascist ploy to suck loan money out of me.

Because I'm a STEMkek.
>>
Because the test to become an actuary is HARD AS FUCK
>>
>>7712433
>Intimidated by 30% pass rate.
kek
>>
>>7712061
Same senpai desu
>>
>>7711935
i don't want to work for a company that pretends not to fuck over people for a profit

that's why i quit working at a major cell phone company
>>
>>7712031
>detecting "something" from reality and translating it into a virtual environment is fucking awesome for me.

Could you elaborate? That sounds interesting.
>>
>>7712025
>>7712149
>>7712430

Welp, seems like I will have to enjoy my free university pass here in Europe while you guys drown in debts like Greece.

It's what happens when you have a superior education system.
>>
>>7711935
working to become either an actuary or a quant analyst
>>
>>7711935
Because I'm not a soulless calculator robot. I study math and physics to experience their beauty.
>>
>>7711935
Actuarial science is a great field.

It's interesting that people on this board denigrate employable professions such as actuarial work and programming. As it turns out you are not qualified for these professions, and this is why you're poor and struggling instead of well off and stable.

>b-b-b-but muh math
>muh purity
>m-mh rigor

tfw: I realize you're all in lower division college and this is why you're so fucking autistic.
>>
File: 1449373891610.jpg (54 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
1449373891610.jpg
54 KB, 600x448
>>7711935
>study biology
>get a job right out of school as a lab tech for an environmental testing lab
>study to get clinical lab license after a few months
>work four nights a week testing blood and make 80 grand

Why aren't you fags studying for clinical sciences? Bio fags are generally too stupid to do it and it pays just as well as an engineer.
>>
>>7714191

The problem is, there is an inconsistency between the theory and the actual real world.

Risk models can change at any time(particularly in and economy, etc) and truly you don't know wtf is going to happen.
>>
>>7714191
>actuary

enjoy being an excel babby
for the next 40 years of your life
>>
>>7714180
I prefer to experience other types of beauty.
>>
>>7714201
I'm not an actuary, but what is your grand plan.

Go to grad school, get a PhD, make poverty level income for 7+ years? (This is my plan).

Then what. You're going to go to the same "excel babby" or "code monkey" job that you ridicule because in the real world you need money, and benefits.

>but at least I have a PhD!

Yeah and the opportunity cost of spending 7+ years in school instead of making 60k-120k starting (depending on where you live) and the ability to learn meaningful skillsets and move upwards in the company (ie, more money you idiot).
>>
>>7711941
Which is?
>>
>>7714213
It astounds me how fixated all the American's here are on money. It's natural I guess because of the debt you immediately incur. I'm in Europe so my education is paid and I get 650€ a month because I'm from a poor family.

But is it just debt that is the big incentive to make 100k starting, etc? It upsets me that people here think like that, it's far too typical and a part of the horrible mainstream superstar mindset where everyone is just out to make money.

There are more things in heaven and earth.
>>
>>7714722
I dont want to spend all my life working 12 hours a day doing manual labor and struggling to get by, anon.
Mind, I personally am exactly as averse to spending all my life working 12 hours a day while raking in phat cash, that sounds absolutely no better.
If I have a job that makes decent income and doesnt take all my time, I can be with my friends and study things I enjoy and appreciate art and media.
>>
>>7714196

tell me more anon, I've never heard of that
>>
>>7714722
>Quoting Hamlet unironically in everyday speech
Sorry for your autism
>>
>>7714722

I have no idea. Nobody here takes any risk, they just pursue, engineering, computer science, IT, etc. The same 'safe' stable career just so they can have a decent salary and look good at the holiday get togethers when drinking beer with everybody else. After about a year out of school, they get fat and their only intellectual pursuit is fantasy football. Yet when they go to the bars on the weekends they sit there with their cheesy grin, talking to used up whores, about how impressive their job is (typing crap into spreadsheets and spreading their buttcheeks wide for their boss).

These guys are a dime a fucking dozen and have their head buried into their smartphones all fucking day. They think they have 'talent' in the 'workforce' when your average corporate job can be done with a high schooler who doesn't have their head up their ass. This country is so dull and bland I can't even converse with people anymore, they are all the same insufferable corporate drones. And they do all this just so they can get laid which never happens until the used up whore is done riding the cock carousel and sees her window closing. If he's lucky, he won't get divorced and will just work his usual bullshit job the rest of his life, watch football in his spare time, and then die being immediately forgotten.

tl;dr you are right, everybody in America pursues the same 'ol boring career path. Self-employed, owning my own business master race checking in
>>
>>7714774

this rant came completely out of nowhere and seems out of place on /sci/
>>
>>7714774
Nice projecting senpai

A lot of my old classmates, professors, and neighbors pursue the arts as well as engineering. I work at an international aerospace firm, and every time I turn around it seems that another coworker is moving to a new position in a whole different field of engineering, or in another country. I can't think of a single coworker that I don't look up to as an engineer and a human being.

Sure, a lot of people have families or other responsibilities that make them prioritize a steady income, but I'd say that the people in my life are dynamic individuals with aspirations beyond a six-figure salary.
>>
>>7714782
/sci/ is career advice dum dum
>>
>>7714196
Interesting, tell us more. I'm going into a BSc next year and have been considering the clinical routes. Do you know much about clinical toxicology?
>>
>>7714774
>Jobs for status and appearance
>football and fantasy football
>talking up whores at the bar about how great their job is
Thats normalfags, nigga. /sci/ may have some, but its more autists. Not the same kind of autists as the rest of 4chan, some of the time, the kids who broke down crying if they got a B on a test rather than the ones who wore anime T-shirts to school, but autists nonetheless.
>>
>>7714916

kek
>>
>>7711948
You do the math behind business decisions for huge corporations. Basically, you tell people like Doug McMillan and Martin Shkreli (you can bet the $750 price tag was carefully calculated at the top of an increased profit/ where they would start losing sales curve by an actuary),the mathematically most effective way to fuck people over.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-11-21-29-12.png (69 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-11-21-29-12.png
69 KB, 720x1280
>>7714953
>>
>>7713932
Using any sensor or input device and doing something with it in data
>>
>>7714774
So you fags went from denigrating stable careers to open hostility..

Real nice.

Essentially you don't want a good job, because it will make you a cog tool (and because you're not qualified for that job so you project stereotypes in an attempt to rationalize the fact that you wouldn't be admitted).

What the fuck job would you want then?

>Scientist !!!
>Mathematician !!!!
>Academia !!!!!

These jobs are scarce and *boring* just like all work. Holy shit.

Graduate school and live in the real world.
>>
File: 1449787621439.png (7 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1449787621439.png
7 KB, 500x500
>>7714732
I was thinking that would be the consensus. Where I live people who are genuinely retarded get a small job no problem and can live comfortably because student debt isn't immediately strapped to them. It's an odd difference between us.

>>7714762
How is quoting Hamlet autistic? It gets my point across. Moreover, every learned man used to quote Shakespeare endlessly. It's this recent aversion to formality and education that you are a product of that makes you try to mock anyone who does so. I should have quoted some more esoteric play to keep the casuals from picking up on it, but you got lucky today, congrats.
Again, normie scum behaviour. Congratulations, you're just as bad as the typical piece of shit I meet everyday.

>>7714774
It's much the same here. I can't converse with anyone because they either want me to head out with them on the weekend or to talk about some bullshit like 'lol I'm so random', 'are you on fantasy football', 'omg I like hate everyone', 'what's your number so we can add you to the whatsapp group'.

Don't get me wrong, I work in Google, but I done it to get out from an abusive home and study in work and in all my spare time now. I never thought of making money as anything but a way to be able to afford some solitude and independence. Everyone here dreams of what, a big house to brag about?
Thanks to CS programs making everyone retarded, I'm like a saint to these people and my work is so trivial it's a joke. As you said, they are a dime a dozen.

>>7714805
Not him, but that's not what I'm talking about. That's great. It's these people that work out of passion and are thoughtful that keep me going. Shame to say I've rarely met any of them.

>>7715176
You miss the point. When you prioritize income for the sake of income it immediately indicates that you have never given a moment's thought to anything. I never mentioned being a cog in the system, I think that view is ridiculous.
>>
>>7714949
>huge corporations
>this is what people studying to be actuaries actually believe

Everybody I've every talked to who is studying or has studied to become an actuary did it because they saw it in some magazine as a "top 10" in demand job. What a terrible criterion for determining the course of your professional life

This is like all my friends from college who studied industrial engineering b/c it was in the top 10 for starting salaries
>"bro, it's pretty much 'CEO engineering.' it's the fast track to running a corporation bro"
and now they're pidgeon-holed analysts or consultants. And I don't mean the glamorized "analysts" and "consultants" that you see on TV. Most of them have told me how much they hate their jobs.
>>
>>7716016
>Everybody I've every talked to who is studying or has studied to become an actuary did it because they saw it in some magazine as a "top 10" in demand job. What a terrible criterion for determining the course of your professional life
kek
>>
Actuaries are the butt of the jokes at many companies anon because of the sheer amount of autism they display.

My friend that works at a Fortune 500 company says the head actuary there is so autistic that he frequently says things that are completely unintelligible to any sane human being. Shit like "The quarter could be should hard in for maybe us" I'm not kidding.

They were having a Christmas competition and the CEO told everybody to pick team names for their departments. Everybody was clever and creative: "The Potty Mouth Programmers", "The Mottley Crew of Analysts" etc. And then they get to the actuary department and you know what team name they picked? The Actuaries.

Sheer fucking autism.
>>
>>7711935
I can't even get a job as a technician.
>>
>>7711935
>STEM
>can't get job
anyone else here want to start like a group for this?
I'm in this position and I think if I could find and interact with other people like this I'd be less suicidal.
>>
>>7711935
The job market is terrible for everyone, it's just less terrible for STEM.
>>
>>7717896
Maybe not looking in the right places? When I finished my masters in Physics, I already had a job lined up. Now I'm doing a PhD and have 2 places that would take me if I finished within 2 years.

Maybe look around more and interact with other people on conferences and such..
>>
>>7717896
The entirety of Physics Forums is basically just people bitching that they can't find jobs.
>>
>>7718072
Of course, you have to be good at what you do as well. A degree isn't magically turning you into a desirable employee..
>>
>>7718076
Yeah, but people are under the delusion that a degree is all you need. The reality is you need to be in the top 10% of all undergrads in your discipline if you want to be assured to work in something like math or physics.
>>
>>7714213
Nobody is going to take 7 years to finish a PhD. Why would I become a code monkey after getting a doctorate? Do you think people get PhDs just so they can call themselves dr or for a higher salary? That's not how it works.
>>
>>7718106
>Why would I become a code monkey after getting a doctorate?
Statistically speaking that's the most likely outcome.
>>
>>7718061
>>7718072
but im in electrical engineering
I like to know if there are others like me,
if I am truly alone in this then im not sure if I can keep going...
>>
>>7718122
Engineering is slightly better roughly 50% of graduates actually work in engineering according to a nationwide UK study (though the job market is roughly an international one for professional careers it's about the same everywhere).

You should give up trying to find a STEM job, you weren't that lucky, go for finance/IT/service etc.
>>
>>7718122
I want to find others though
>>
>>7718122
>>7718170
The IEEE forums are pretty full with people bitching about not getting jobs, but they're mostly autistic retards, I doubt you'd get much emotional support or catharsis from them.
>>
>>7714774
wherever you are on the planet, anon, you are my friend.
>>
>>7718173
>autistic retards
how so?
>>
>>7718173
>emotional support or catharsis from them.
I'm more of the business of finding followers.
>>
>>7718072
You can't expect to find anyone actually good at physics on Physicsforums, for the most part. Who registers for a forum nowadays?
>>
>>7718173
>IEEE forums
where the hell is that? I'm not seeing any link to forums on the main site.
>>
Speaking of forums, how is Actuarial Outpost?
>>
>>7718285
>followers
are you starting a cult or something?
>>
>>7711935
All of them aren't autistic.
>>
>>7718398
something like that
>>
>>7718426
if I join now can I be part of the elite circle?
>>
>>7714213
>muh money
>poverty level income after 7 year phd
>7 year phd

i don't know where to start. enjoy your excel anyways
>>
>>7711935
Tell me this: why do you insist on calling things "memes" when they're clearly not?
>>
>>7717819
Hahaha oh man this fucking made my day
>>
>>7718982
Because 'STEM meme' is a meme.
>>
>>7719843
...only among idiots
>>
if i could do college over again, i would have studied philosophy instead of emergency management and homeland security
>>
>>7718639
>elite circle
trying to get away from those kinds of things in the 1st place
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.