[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there such a thing as being 'shit at math' when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: ali-mcgraw.jpg (22 KB, 450x550) Image search: [Google]
ali-mcgraw.jpg
22 KB, 450x550
Is there such a thing as being 'shit at math' when you're good everywhere else?

Does it just stem from lack of drive and laziness?
>>
yeah, and low iq
>>
I am good at physics but suck at calculus. But this calculus is like a really difficult theory course and not your normal calculus. We do a lot of proofs. I don't know what you mean math but I figure if it was just computation calculus with no proofs then I would do well but as it stands down now I have a much higher mark in my other classes than calculus.
>>
>>7710474
>good at physics
>suck at relatively basic mathematical proofs
oh boy you're in for a treat
>>
negligence
its all like a chain , u skip sth important because u dont think its important or watever the reason is, then u fail to learn the other stuff related to that
>>
>>7710481
Nobody finds them basic. The average of the class is 57% before exams (i have 59%) and this is after a bunch of people dropped out it used to be much lower and professor refuses to bell curve so I don't know what to do.
>>
>>7710498
Can you be more detailed about the subject matter? What is it, Calculus III? Vector Calculus? Analysis?
>>
>>7710498
>Nobody finds them basic

Nobody of the shitty freshmen taking it. Anyone else does. Git gud or get out. "Others are failing" isn't an excuse.
>>
>>7710455
Most people simply don't like mathematics. They do bad not because they're dumb or less smart than people who is good at math, but because they have no interest in the subject, thus, their study (if there is any) is tedious to the point the content hardly sticks together.

I like Schopenhauer's saying, paraphrasing, "We all have the best memory for what we love, and the worst for what we dislike."

>>7710474
American standards for calculus must be really low.
Any normal calculus course includes a strong theory and a variety of problems to solve. At least here, to pass an exam you must pass an oral examination on the theory (they ask you theorems, you'll give them proofs).
>>
>>7710553
since I don't actually give a fuck about my grades, I actually prefer professers who are absolutely savage and keep their class averages around 50%. my chem prof is like this, I get to have shit grades, feel fine about it, and listen to everybody quibble and cry about how much they hate their teacher, meanwhile I just enjoy how much more I'm learning than the other classes. and then the final exam has to be dumbed down to match the easier section profs, and I got like 90% on the final.
>>
>>7710474
You can't say you're good at something if you're not good at its fundamental concept
>>
>>7710455
Yes. Most people seem to be bad at math because they don't try. There is a tiny minority of people who can pass undergraduate math courses without really trying but not being one of them isn't a good excuse for not trying.
>>
File: CR-gWq-U8AAXqZU.jpg (91 KB, 599x900) Image search: [Google]
CR-gWq-U8AAXqZU.jpg
91 KB, 599x900
There is no such thing as "Lol I SUCK at math but I'm a great critical thinker!"

Mathematicians would destroy you with formal logic if they ever cared to learn it. There is only high intelligence, and low intelligence.
>>
>>7710553
Fucking this.

Comparing yourself to others is the surest sign that you are dumb. You need to be good enough for yourself. Have some goddamn standards.
>>
>>7710455
Strongly depends on what you defined as 'everywhere else'. I say yes to 1 and no to 2.
>>
>>7710455
I wouldnt say im good at everything else but there is discalcula, like dyslexia but either numbers or letters that represent numbers dont mean a thing to you. It would be like knowin how to read a word but having to read the definition each time.
>>
>not being at least pretty good at anything you attempt
get it together family
>>
>>7710455
If you suck at math and are good at everything else it probably means that you make a load of mistakes because its too easy for you. It is like walking down a mountain, it is easier than walking up it, so people relax and have more accidents because of it. Most mathematics is incredibly easy. In fact, most of the time, from an educational perspective, you aren't even really calculating anything real world, one side equals the other and it was all a big waste of time. Things get a bit more tricky with calculus on out and the endless formula you have to memorise at that point, in some ways being a stupid mindless robot is good in these instances as no one who has a deep inquisitve mind wants to torture themselves learning endless equations, when there are other more direct and more satisfying ways of interacting with the Universe.

Or you know you could be just stupid like this guy said >>7710464
>>
>>7710455
No, not really. It's just a lack of interest causing a lack of exposure. Nearly anybody can git gud
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.