[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I explain the difference between the pressure in a pressure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: heat.jpg (28 KB, 463x213) Image search: [Google]
heat.jpg
28 KB, 463x213
How can I explain the difference between the pressure in a pressure cooker and the pressure at the bottom of the ocean to someone not used to scaling up or down general concepts? Nicely. thanks yo
>>
>>7704483
I mean explain how there isn't a difference.
>>
>>7704483
You sure you you're the one who should be explaining things to people?
>>
>>7704490
Too bad there is a difference, between positive and negative pressure....
>>
>>7704483
Just give them the equation for pressure.

P= F/A. I don't understand how it gets any harder than that.
>>
>>7704753
theres isnt negative pressure in a pressure cooker or the bottom of the ocean.............
>>
>>7704800
When comparing the two directly then yes there is. There is a directional component.
>>
>>7704822
i dont think you understand what negative pressure is
>>
>>7704951
You don't. "Negative pressure" can mean either the inside of a vessel has a higher pressure than the outside, or vice versa. If you were in a vacuum, you can say that's "negative pressure." Or if a pressure cooker lets off steam and then cools down, it's going to have internal "negative pressure." Either way, you're not going to measure pressure as a negative number. It's just a way to describe the direction of pressure that is considered opposite of the norm.
>>
>>7704951
>pressure pushing inwards
>not the opposite of pressure pushing outwards
You are dense.
>>
>>7704483
But that is a different kind of pressure, pressure caused by gas having nowhere to go when it is generated as opposed to pressure caused by the weight of the liquid.
>>
>>7705433
I... what?
Both are basically driven by entropy, and are the result of high/low density systems interfacing with each other.
Are you dumb?
>>
>>7705103
He is obviously considering the hypothetical situation of an atmospheric chamber inside the cooker and at the bottom of the ocean on which a positive pressure would act.
>>
Uhm one thing is made to cook things and the other is made to keep Cth'ulu at bay
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.