[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sci/, does my cat consider me an alien visiting his home world,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: imaadsfges.jpg (6 KB, 274x184) Image search: [Google]
imaadsfges.jpg
6 KB, 274x184
/sci/, does my cat consider me an alien visiting his home world, or am I to him more like a goddess, in the manner of Athena or Aphrodite?

Wanting to know from the cat's perspective. Thanks!
>>
>>7704361
Are you a girl : 3
>>
File: me.jpg (54 KB, 486x604) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
54 KB, 486x604
>>7704365
yes
>>
File: 2KBSbP3.gif (638 KB, 339x233) Image search: [Google]
2KBSbP3.gif
638 KB, 339x233
>>7704378
>>
>>7704361
You're just the friendly food slave.
>>
>>7704361
As far as I can tell, to a cat, you're a different person depending on environmental context. That's the way their predictive functions work.

I think they view you as many subsets of the same general thing. ie, the you that's outside is different than the you that exists when they're sleeping in the living room, or want food, or catch a mouse, or whatever. That's why general expectations don't seem to carry over much across different contexts. A lot of it seems mediated by location. They usually ignore clothing.

Cats are strange. I've yet to properly understand them. I more or less disagree with the framework your question is set up in though. You're probably just another animal. If you sit down like a cat, they'll tend to sit down near you. And just sit there like you're all cats. They know you aren't a cat. They know you're just acting like a cat in that moment. But there's also something else at work. They possess theory of mind, clearly, but it's laid out very different than our own.
>>
>>7704389
hmmm... good answer!
>>
>>7704389
>the you that's outside is different than the you that exists when they're sleeping in the living room, or want food, or catch a mouse, or whatever.

I really don't think that's true at all, but if you have something to support it I works be very interested to see.
>>
>>7704361
they don't give a fuck

they understand they don't know what you are but if you act in a way that makes sense to them they'll go along with it
>>
Someone did some popsci research on this, your cat basically sees you as a cat that is shitty at hunting.
>>
>>7704361
He sees you as a faggot. He laughs at you when you leave your house.
>>
>>7704361
Cats can probably tell that we're not cats just by the smell and lack of purring.

>>7704465
I can't imagine what this person took as evidence. Similar analysis on humans would likely conclude that we see cats as people, which is clearly untrue.
>>
>>7704378
Awww yiss : 3
>>
>>7704361
They don't care and if they did they see themselves as Gods in YOUR world.
>>
cat here, youre an alien in my world
>>
>>7704912
>Similar analysis on humans would likely conclude that we see cats as people, which is clearly untrue

Is it though? Sure, we're aware they're a different species, but people sure as shit treat cats as if they're a lot more human than they actually are. Talking to them and ascribing human motivations.

I can imagine cats seeing humans as not-cat, but still assuming we have the same motivations. They probably think we hang out in houses for the same reason they do, because it's warm and there's food inside. It's not like they ever see us build the things.
>>
>>7704432
Not him but one of my cats is afraid of everyone in my family if he sees us outside, while were inside the house he acts normal.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.