[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Health care / medical field discussion thread >your job, estimated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 479x243) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 479x243
Health care / medical field discussion thread
>your job, estimated salary, your age, (or people you know
>your satisfaction with the job, or if you could change to what job?
Or
>your experience as a pre-med student (or anything similar)
>personal experiences or stories pf anything related
>any tips, advice, recommendations for people interested in your job/major
>what are the best salaries to get with an associates?
>what are the best salaries to get with a 4-year major?
>what are the best salaries to get with a master's?
>pros and cons of aiming to be a physician?
>what to do with a biomedical/biology/premed major?
>Jobs to avoid and in this field and why?
>>
And I didn't mean just "salaries". But jobtitle/work description as well.
>>
>>7703226

> medical student, no clue, 22, super excited
>>
>>7703243
Do you mean ending college as a med student or starting medical school?
>>
>>7703226
Jesus med fags are here again
>>
>>7703248
You can contribute to the thread even if you aren't in health care.
>>
>>7703254
>Health care / medical field discussion thread
>>
>>7703257
I know, I'm OP. But we can get a comparison to other fields, and if it fuels the thread I'm fine with it. As long as it's not full of non medical field posts. I, fine with it but won't encourage anymore.
>>
ye we should split this board to:
- "Medicine and boring shit you have to memorise without using 1% of your brain"
- "STEM" in which S stands for: Sciences that actually require thinking
>>
>>7703264
PhD in Chemical Engineering, working in research department in physical chemistry field, earning 165k/year as senior researcher and project manager
>>
>>7703247
Starting
>>
>>7703266
this 100
>>
>>7703291
How did you manage to get into medical school?
>>
>>7703226
Microbiologist here.
Pre-med assholes everywhere, nobody likes them because they have no actual interest in biology, just in "being a doctor".
>be me working on medical devices, actually helping the world.
>doctors over-prescribing antibiotics, opioids, leading to deaths and crises on a massive scale
Doctors and most medical people are scum. They should not be respected.
>>
1.5 yrs until residency baby

>every day is one day closer to the end

>>7703243
The first two years are the worst good luck
>>
>>7703312
What are you specializing in? How as medical school been?
>>
>>7703297
I'm in Aus, so had to have a supremely good GPA and GAMSAT (analogous to the MCAT) score.

Pretty much the US system (especially as it's the MD)
>>
Are you able to work during medical school? Or is it a heavy rely on loans?
>>
File: kek.jpg (38 KB, 390x470) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
38 KB, 390x470
>>7703332
loans? whats this? We dont have this in europe, for sure not in my country :/
>>
>>7703226
>your job, estimated salary, your age
Dental student,$300 if im lucky,24
>your satisfaction with the job, or if you could change to what job?
0 satisfaction so far because of my own reasons that I could go into detail if requested but they are mostly related to laws,my practice at the state clinic and general patient health consciousness.Yes I would change it but there is no going back now already invested 5 years into it.
>>
File: 1396486087513.jpg (59 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
1396486087513.jpg
59 KB, 750x1000
>>7703315

probably going into emergency medicine. Med school sucks. Its just a giant meat grinder. You have to work you ass off and give up quite a lot of your golden years to even just be average. But its a stepping stone to better things and its only four years.

>>7703332
In the first two years the amount of lecture hours and labs is at least 40hr/wk + all the studying you need to do outside of class. On clerkships you are working in the hospital 60-70hr weeks easily.

So no.

A lot of people actually moved back in with their parents if they had opportunity. Save on rent, have someone to do your laundry (hard to find time to do that consistently), buy you food. Fuck I would have if my parents lived near where my school is.
>>
>>7703371
>have someone to do your laundry
That's such a dick move. It's not like your parents have nothing better to do, right?

My kids are 5 and 6 and already do their own laundry. They wash the dishes, too. Damned if I'm going to do it for them when they're 20.
>>
>>7703384
Thats what parents are supposed to do, you wanted to have children now do fucking laundry u lazy hoe
>>
Is there any time for yourself during medical school? When not studying?
>>
>>7703348
I'd like to hear why.
>>
>>7703348
$300? What is that supposed to mean?
>>
>>7703371
Thank you for your input on the thread, emergency medicine seems interesting and fun.
>>
>>7703543
$300/per month*
my bad.
>>7703525
short list because i have to study

>Hiperproduction of work force due to government program of everyone has the right to be uni educated,so there are 150 people that will graduate with me this year,and there are more that 3K on national level in 2 million people
>Fresh out off uni I cant work standalone,it is required to work at someone for 2 years before I could open my own practice
>in this period I will be earning minimum wage which is $150/per month
>Due to hiperproduction working with the state aka in relation with the national health fond prices are slashed like crazy,for example $2 for retroalveolar and $14 for panoramic xray,$5 fillings for and so on and so forth the list never ends.Working with a profit or your mind is wishful thinking.
>on top of the fund pays you for the number of patients you have which is 0.75c/per pacient.People with 20 years experience struggle to gather 1800 so there is that,and before you say that a good number 30% of it is denied in taxes and then some and other material and rent,gear maintenance,staff ect.
>people dont have the culture to respect doctors,just recent example is a case where abdominal surgeon got shot 3 times on his work place
>general misbehaving patients that disregard advice despite your best intentions.
>>
>>7703556
300 or 3,000? month or week? 300 Per month is less than 4k per year.
>>
>>7703560

You are reading correct.$300
Thats less than 4K a year.most of the people in this profession work other grey area businesses on the side,they dont hire nurses,they cheap out on materials ect.
>>
>>7703565
And you're from USA? I'm still a little confused as what your job title is
>>
>>7703568
No I'm from Easter Europe.
My title is/will be
>DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine)
>>
>>7703578
eastern*
Sorry long day.
>>
>>7703578
Oh, well that explains a bit more, good luck.
>>
>tfw your MCAT score is good but your GPA is garbage
>tfw still good chance to get into med school this year
>tfw screwed over in getting in due to shitty people
>>
>>7703623
There is always PA. That's what I have in mind.
>>
File: 0748 - tSrV0Kk.jpg (5 KB, 200x210) Image search: [Google]
0748 - tSrV0Kk.jpg
5 KB, 200x210
>tfw didn't get into medschool
>tfw doing engineering with bionics and medical prosthetics
>tfw hear about med students and doctors
>tfw that will never be me
I feel like a failure
>>
>>7703645
Same for you, did you consider PA?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.