[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do we only use greek and english characters for variables?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: neugriechisch.jpg (69 KB, 736x734) Image search: [Google]
neugriechisch.jpg
69 KB, 736x734
why do we only use greek and english characters for variables?

why aren't there russian, japanese, etc symbols used?
>>
>>7702746
>why do we only use greek and english characters for variables?
This isn't true at all.
We also use hebrew, blackboard bold and gothic to name a few.
>>
>>7702749

Don't forget Comic Sans. :^)
>>
>>7702746
Something about how Greek was commonly taught in European gymnasiums / prep schools back in the day. Slavic languages incorporate a good amount of Greek letters as well.

I've seen my Russian professor use Cyrillic occasionally in physics. He was asked by the students to stop because it looked like a squiggly mess. I'm in the US.
>>
>>7702746
>Scandinavian
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angstrom
>Cryllic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuffle_algebra#Shuffle_product
>>
>>7702757
my russian calculus teacher did the same thing
>>
>>7702753
Yep, a big list of some of these can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_Alphanumeric_Symbols
>>
File: JUST.png (3 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
JUST.png
3 KB, 200x200
>>7702757
>looked like a squiggly mess
in four years I have not encountered one person writing pic related in any a way resembling pic related
>>
>>7702746
I use cyrillic cursive for writing greek symbols. Well, except for phi because it tends to confuse the fuck out of everyone who has never seen it.
>>
>what is [math]\aleph_{0}[/math]
>>
>>7702817
See
>>7702749
>>
>>7702760
letter shah is also used for the dirac comb
>>
>>7702817
Set theory was made by Jews and crypto-Jews.
>>
>>7702801
you only know mongoloids.
I bet you live in the land of the free as well.
>>
Tate–Shafarevich group
>>
>>7702922
Indeed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tate%E2%80%93Shafarevich_group
>>
>>7702922
so omega
>>
>english characters
>>
>>7702938
didn't even notice lel
>>
>>7702828
>the land of the free
where we be free
you and me
to be as stupid
as can be
>>
>>7702936
Nope, it's the Cryllic sha.
>>
>>7702746
I think we're good on variable conventions. It's really not that confusing when you put things in context what the variables represent, in the case that it may also represent something else in some other field.
>>
>>7702746
>english characters
what
>>
File: Britannian-Runes-font.jpg (36 KB, 849x274) Image search: [Google]
Britannian-Runes-font.jpg
36 KB, 849x274
>>7702980
Runes
>>
>>7702746
Why don't you start using japanese symbols, anon? Just sneak them into your next publication
>>
>>7702746
>english characters
Do you happen to be American?
>>
>>7702746
>English characters
>>
>>7702746
>english characters
>>
>>7702938
>>7702980
>>7703068
>>7703075
>>7703136

Hello clever lads. Two things. First, I am not OP.

Second, every single one of you are wrong in your snark, because it doesn't matter that the alphabet was first "Latin/Roman". Oh, hm, there are subtle differences among its descendants, who knew?

OP's phrase of "English characters" is completely reasonable, especially to differentiate from the superfluous Ñ's, Ü's, and í's of the world. And none of you can actually refute this in a meaningful fashion. It is just as well to call these Spanish characters (with superfluous extras), German characters, and so on where applicable, because they are the same graphemes used in the respective languages.
>>
File: 87587575.jpg (9 KB, 200x193) Image search: [Google]
87587575.jpg
9 KB, 200x193
>>7703136
O M F G
M
F
G
>>
math looks cool but its bullshit sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTc9sLmOR0A
>>
>using kanji
>ever
>>
>>7704681
> "English characters" is completely reasonable
You can't just redefine words to assuage your butthurt. Scripts have actual names used by millions of people, and "English characters" do not exist anywhere in that.

It's like seeing a one-horned deer and calling it a unicorn, then claiming that this is completely reasonable because most deer have two horns and you want to distinguish it.

> superfluous Ñ's, Ü's, and í's
You can use diacritical marks in English, too. In fact, you use them over your i's and j's all the time.
>>
>>7704760
that 'ever' better mean 'in maths' anon.
writing japanese in latin script is fucking hideous, and so is writing any large amounts of it in only kana.
Kana+kanji, on the other hand, is exceptionally daijoboo. Very sugoi.
>>
>>7704775

None of what you just wrote undermines my central point. If a character is used in a particular written language's alphabet X, than it may be said to be an "X" character. The five posts above remain Told, as do you.

Not Told: [_]
Told: [X]
>>
>>7704775

More to the point against your thing, if it were untrue that "you [can] just redefine things", then language would not have developed in the fashion that it did in the first place. :^)
>>
>>7704775
He didn't redefine a term; he created one. Your analogy is irrelevant because unicorn is already a well-defined term. It'd be more akin to calling it a "one-horned deer" as you said. Why? Because it's a deer with one horn. So why say "English characters?" Because they're the characters used when writing English.
>>
>>7702801
that's how my Russian prof writes Epsilon
>>
>>7702746
because "russian" is practically greek and latin letters, except for about 5 symbols which are unique to cyrillic.
>>
>>7704802
>>7704810
>>7704818
> samefagging this hard
>>
>>7702801
I fucking hate it.
Everytime a Prof uses Zeta and Chi you can't tell which one is which.
Then I always have the urge to use ü and u as variables, so he can't tell if its ü or /dot/dot u.
>>
File: GreekAlphabet.png (370 KB, 2000x1545) Image search: [Google]
GreekAlphabet.png
370 KB, 2000x1545
>>7705773
That's a xi tho, you fucking retard.
>American education
>>
>>7705780
Calm your tits nigger, you know what I meant
>>
>>7702801
>>7704907
That's a ksi
>>
>>7702746
>english characters
well at least you didn't call them american letters
>>
>>7702801
I love that motherfucker.
>>
>>7705780
>o micron = small o
>o mega = big o
mind blown
>>
>>7705780
God damnit, I just realized I've been writing lowercase zeta as a lowercase xi this entire time.

Makes sense, though; zeta has one loop and a tail, like you're writing a Z in a lazy manner; xi has two loops and a tail, like you're connecting up all three lines of a capital Xi.
>>
>>7705780

I had a Greek prof who writes sigma exactly like 6, he would write sigma and 6 next to each other and go "don't confuse my sigma and my 6" even though they're fucking identical
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.