[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /sci/ think of the quantum suicide thought experiment?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: quantum.png (805 KB, 1206x888) Image search: [Google]
quantum.png
805 KB, 1206x888
What does /sci/ think of the quantum suicide thought experiment?
>>
Gee, I can say ridiculous ass shit and people will probably buy my products because of it.
>>
>>7701275
>>
Why would I want to kill infinitely many versions of myself (even if it's not all of em)?
>>
>>7701265
What is a cheap parlor trick?
>correct!
I'll take pandering to edgy retards for 500.
>>
>>7701265
I identified the flawed assumption. We usually take "bullet" to mean "cartridge." Indeed, loading a *bullet* absent the charge and powder into a firearm would not be sufficient for it to fire.
>>
>>7701265
I wrote something like this into my "book" years ago. How old is this?
>>
It seems to me that the number of universes in which you would live by merely horribly maiming yourself but surviving would vastly outnumber those in which you would survive unscathed.

Thus, if quantum immortality is true, it's still a terrible idea to put it to the test.
>>
>>7701265

Go for it dude. Post pics.
>>
>>7701265
you should try it yourself :^)
>>
>>7701265
I think you should try to replicate it
>>
>>7701536
Not to mention the chances of us seeing John survive are almost 0. If he actually loaded a real gun with a real bullet, then we'd be reading about how "lunatic John McAfee shoots himself in head to prove retarded theory".
>>
>>7701576
Why would the chances be zero?
>>
>>7701534
Old.
>>
File: 1448396488669.jpg (7 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1448396488669.jpg
7 KB, 184x184
>>7701559
>>7701553
>>7701538
>>7701576
I guess you idiots don't know what a thought experiment is.
>>
>>7701265
John McAfee has found a way to never uninstall in real life.

Amazing.
>>
>>7701576
>Not to mention the chances of us seeing John survive are almost 0.
>>7701696
>Why would the chances be zero?
If there are five chambers, and he pulls the trigger 5 times "incessantly", he's presumably not spinning the cylinder each time, and the gun must fire.
>>
>>7701759
...cont
And even if he does spin the cylinder each time, he's still very likely to shoot himself.
20% chance on each spin he dies, 80% chance he lives, but 0.8^5 is less than 0.33.
Two to one he dies.
Pull the trigger ten times, he's got a 10.7% chance of surviving.

Furthermore, the cylinder rotation isn't hinging on any quantum event.
The applied spin, friction involved, etc should be enough to solve for where the bullet ends up.
Newtonian physics alone should give an accurate prediction.

Even if there were a quantum component, like Schrodinger's Geiger counter, there's still no mechanism for him to control anything.
Assuming the multiverse interpretation, he dies in most universes, and the odds of this being the one where he survives is very low.

When did /sci/ turn into /x/?
Half the threads on the front page are people insisting evolution can't be real.
Christ, even the Pope has accepted the scientific consensus on evolution.
>>
>>7701782

Did you only read the op post or did you do any further research on the topic? Because if you did, you'd know how this experiment works.

The idea isn't that he'd pull the trigger and survive from our perspective, because from our perspective he'll be dead, finito. But from HIS perspective he'll still be alive in an alternate timeline where he somehow miraculously survived.

if you're seriously trying to imply the theory of quantum mechanics is /x/ shit then please do us all the favor of doing this experiment real time so at least from our perspectives we'll no longer have to deal with your bs.
>>
So this implies that everyone of us will live forever because we will always be in a quantum universe where we "somehow miraculously survived" even if there is no physically possible way
>>
>>7701852
What do you mean "no physically possible way?"

Either the gun fires or it doesn't, or it does and you live the rest of your life as a vegetable.
>>
The only way so far I can think of that would give evidence toward Many Worlds/Quantum Immortality would be you slowly outliving family, friends, and everyone else. As everyone else dies from old age, suicide, and accidents, you're still living. It may also explain why I am living NOW, when humanity is at its most prosperous so far; that I am white; living the western world (in the US no less). All these things have happened so far because the less privileged version of my subjective world lines are eliminated and thus not experienced.
>>
>>7701917
>the less privileged version
Priviledge is a stupid way to frame the world. You just have different ecological affordances. That's how the world works, it doesn't what or where you are. There be advantages, there will be disadvantages.
>>
>>7701871
i'm not limiting this to the gun firing
i'm talking about every situation that could kill you and will kill you eventually
>>
>>7701937

There is always a probability, no matter how small, that you can survive even the most dire situation.
>>
>>7701265
>pull the trigger
>gun goes off
>puts you in a permanent vegetative state where you are still conscious
It can backfire pretty hard.
>>
>>7701696
They'd be exactly as high as sum of the probability of things that would cause the gun not to fire. Primer failures are pretty rare. Part of a revolver breaking from standard use is pretty rare. The powder charge suddenly ceasing to exist is pretty rare.
>>
>>7701265
>make own round
>dont put gunpowder in it
youreawizardharry.jpeg
>>
File: 232164180446.gif (285 KB, 243x136) Image search: [Google]
232164180446.gif
285 KB, 243x136
>>7701265
maybe somewhere the experimenter will not be able to kill himself because the odds will always fall in his favor

but referring to those different individuals as the same person and (more importantly) the same consciousness is just plain stupid

There are over 6 billion other human minds on this planet and most of them also experience this reality. We basically are ALL THE SAME from a chemical/biological (inb4 muh dna is different) point of view. And yet everyone of us humans is only his own self, with his very own individual consciousness.
We are all one but you are also all alone by yourself. Kill yourself here and this world will end for you.
>>
>>7701731
underrated post
>>
>>7701979

This is the eventual result of quantum immortality even if you don't play Russian roulette. Quantum immortality just means you'll live forever. It doesn't mean you'll stop aging, or become immune to disease or injury. Enjoy being an ancient quadriplegic on a dead world, waiting for the heat death of the universe long after the rest of the human race has gone extinct.
>>
I honestly don't want to live forever, why is the universe so fucking cruel?
>>
>>7702293
You can't live forever with quantum immortallity.
>>
>>7701731
10/10
>>
>>7701265
there is absolutely nothing quantum in nature to russian roulette. you'd have to connect the gun to a detector monitoring a radioactive isotope or something

>>7701725
it's not even a thought experiment. it is demonstrably wrong.
>>
>>7702366
The many worlds interpretation isnt related to QM?
>>
>>7701265
It's as retarded as thinking mind uploads are you.
The word clone mean something and doesn't exist just for the lulz. Use it.
>>
>>7701827
>But from HIS perspective he'll still be alive in an alternate timeline where he somehow miraculously survived.
I DID address that, read the post again.

>>7701827
>from our perspective he'll be dead, finito. But from HIS perspective he'll still be alive i
That's not how QM works, even with the multiverse interpretation.

>you're seriously trying to imply the theory of quantum mechanics is /x/
I'm implying this "thought experiment" is pure /x/, along with all the "consciousness is required to collapse the wave function" nonsense.
>>
>>7702395
>The many worlds interpretation isnt related to QM?
In the many worlds interpretation, there's a universe for every quantum event outcome.
But there's no branching for non-quantum events.
If you put the bullet in a certain chamber, apply x newtons of force to spin the cylinder, in just such a fashion, etc, all things being the same, you'll always get the same result.
In every universe.
>>
>>7701265
cmon man, john mcafee is fucking mental
>>
>>7701917
>lives in the US
>has not been shot yet
You might have a point.
>>
Obviously fake. Even if the idea were correct and suicide were impossible, it would still be entirely possible to gravely injure yourself. If it weren't fake, he would live but blow off half his face.
>>
>le meth smoking tax evading infosec man :^)
sage
>>
File: 1335097496308.jpg (57 KB, 605x605) Image search: [Google]
1335097496308.jpg
57 KB, 605x605
>>7701265

Even if you believe in Quantum Immortality, Mcafee's little escapade is fake.

QI means *from his perspective* the gun would always fail to go off, *not* the journalist's. The journalist would see him blow his brains out and wonder WTF he did that for.

In Mcafee's timeline, now unavailable to the journalist, he'd sit there all smug and edgy, admiring the befuddled look on the journalist's face.
>>
Holy shit people do not know how quantum immortality works.

It's essentially "If something has a chance of killing you, you will, as far as you will ever be able to tell, always live through it, because you'll only continue to observe the realities in which you didn't die."

However, this does not mean that you can endlessly attempt suicide and always live through it. What it means is that you'll probably never try to kill yourself, at least not in any way that's guaranteed to kill you, because the moment when the 'chance' occurs will be at the decision-making moment. You'll hold the gun to your head, and continue to observe in universes where you decided not to pull the trigger.
>>
Kill John McAfee, his anti virus program is utter shit, and if we kill him then it would be against his reality, or at least we would remove him from the reality and it would no longer be his but our reality to control.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.