[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How could humans - cousins of apes who are adapted to African
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: Evolution[1].png (18 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
Evolution[1].png
18 KB, 450x300
How could humans - cousins of apes who are adapted to African savannas, develop such an advanced civilization and even get themselves to space?
>>
File: 1378208393644.jpg (14 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1378208393644.jpg
14 KB, 360x360
>>7701252
Fuck off.
>>
>>7701252
It's evolution baby!!!!
>>
>>7701252
mating.

the essence of every single human accomplishment lies in mans desire to mate.
>>
>>7701252
>who are adapted to African savannas,
Not true. Humans are mostly adapted to where they lived (pro-collonial times).
>>
>>7701286
0/10
>>
>>7701252
Ape like creature with social behaviour scavenges for food.
Competing with hyenas, vultures and such. Also trying to drive off predators that made the kill.
Found that making a lot of noise and throwing rocks works.
Realise that throwing sharper rocks can cause more injury. Start selecting rocks with sharp edges.
Also use rocks to break open bones to access high caloric marrow.
Use blunt rocks to smash bones, sharp rocks to throw at competitors.
In time find that smashing rocks together can shape rocks to suit purpose.
Start actively using sharp and blunt rocks to kill animals.
When smashing rocks together, picks up Flint, makes a spark and causes fire.
Sit around fire made by smashing rocks together to eat animals killed by rocks being smashed together to eat and grunt at each other about their day.
Find that putting meat in fire taste nice and is easier to eat, cut and digest.
Now sitting around fire made by smashing rocks together to eat meat procured by smashing rocks together put on fire to process, eat and digest easier.
Grunt more and more about day filled with smashing rocks and throwing at animals.
Einstein ape puts rock on the end of a stick, grunts to show others how.
A lot of time. Bout 2.5million years.
Invents Internet and wonders how.
Posts on 4chan
>>
>>7701252
>cousins of apes
>cousins
>not senpai

Fuck off
>>
>>7701289
Why do you think east-asians have slanty eyes. Or black skin is directly correlated to your distance to the equator. Or Sherpas are adapted to live in great heights better than europeans?
>>
>>7701294
Yes we started as scavenges. Not hunters.
Also while I'm here. T-Rex was a scavenger too. That's why they have small arms to not get in the way.
Massive olfactory gland to smell kills from miles away. Plenty of other physical attributes of a scavenger that I cannot be bothered listing. Google it
>>
>>7701322
Slanty eyes to protect from snow glare
Black skin to protect from sun exposure
Sherpers, same as Asians but liked living in the mountains
>>
>>7701323
you forgot razor sharp killer teeth to chew all that grass...
>>
>>7701335
I think your confusing scavenger with omnivore. Hyenas do not eat grass
>>
>>7701326
Yes, which means humans are not adapted to "the savannah", but to their specific region of origin.
>>
>>7701335
Serously? You're on /sci/? Please go back to /x/ and stop wasting people's time you waste of sperm
>>
>>7701346
I do not argue with fools
>>
>>7701323

Stop shilling for your hypotheses Baker, they were already disproved.
>>
>>7701252
Humans aren't scavengers necessarily. We have forward facing eyes (only seen in apex predators), we have probably the best stamina for animals our size which is more important than speed in a flat open savanna, we have canines, AND molars so we are undoubtedly apex predator omnivores similar to bears in North America.

FYI to the bio newfags: predator only means you make kills. It DOES NOT mean you eat exclusively fresh kills so the possibility of scavenging and eating plants is still open.
>>
>>7701322

These are minute differences, nowhere near the level of adaptation. A man will die of exposure in many parts of the world without clothing and fire, endemic diseases decimate whole populations on a semi regular basis, hell we can't even drink the water without boiling it first in most places. Man adapts his environment to himself, this is the whole basis of technology / culture / extelligence.

As to OP's question of how this came about, the answer is that fuck only knows. It's possible it was a freak occurrence, some perfect storm of a genetic mutation with an appropriate environmental stimulus. It's also possible that life simply complicates itself "automatically", and that if you wait long enough you will inevitably get some kind of creature marvelling at it's own ability for self-reflection. Until we have a larger sample size of planets with life on them, it's all just a theory (a guess).
>>
>>7701252

We're a social animal. Granted there are plenty of social animals out there that are actually impressively intelligent, some even reflecting our behaviors (empathy, reciprocity, deception, signs of abstraction and contemplation, etc.)

I think that what makes us especially gifted and what sets us apart is our capacity to build upon knowledge and pass it along.
>>
Everything only happens through random chance.
>>
>>7701294
/thread
>>
>>7701323
Bakker, it was a nice idea, but you're still wrong. Sorry :(
>>
>>7701252
Biological and cultural evolution
>>
>>7701556
>a theory (a guess).

Theories aren't guesses. Theories in the world of science are tools used for prediction which are created when enough hypotheses are confirmed true.

This is why there is Evolution as a fact and Evolutionary Theory which is used for prediction.
>>
simple answer is that we lucked out. Natural Selection equipped us with a large brain and we had the physical abilities to use that brain as in arms with hands that have opposable thumbs. we didn't evolve to be able to do quantum mechanics or build rocket engines that's just a fortunate happenstance about our biology
>>
>>7701285
I used to do it for the love of the advancement of the actual thing but now thanks to your comment I am going to do it because I want a big tittied bitch in the future to fuck.
>>
File: aliens-mib.jpg (17 KB, 344x258) Image search: [Google]
aliens-mib.jpg
17 KB, 344x258
'twas teh aliumz
>>
>>7701549

all primates have forward facing eyes you fuckwit. its almost like having binocular vision helps with arboreal locomotion or something....
>>
>>7702512
That's crazy. Take your crackpot bullshit elsewhere.
>>
>>7702512
Yeh so do hyenas. They also have canines. They also have great stamina. His argument was faultless
>>
>>7701549
BTW. It's called binocular vision. Saying forward facing eyes makes you sound like a tard
>>
>>7702518

>only seen in apex predators

wrong.

what's your point?
>>
>>7701346
It's called the fossil record dude
>>
>>7702528
Wrong. A hyena is not an apex predator. They are exclusive scavengers
>>
>>7702528
Fuck. Vultures have binocular vision. They also have the same hooked beak as an eagle or hawk. So a vulture is an apex predator?
>>
>>7702544
It is now.
>>
>>7702547
Damn. Someone should've told them
>>
>>7701747
Not disproven. Still a viable theory. And when you look at other dinosaurs that hunt and prey, the trex has some decernable differences
>>
>>7702538
>>7702544

please keep up... i posted >>7702512
and >>7702528 referring to >>7701549

ffs
>>
>>7702563
Yeh I know mate. Do you think I'm arguing you?
>>
>>7702563
Sorry I should just reply to that one comment. I'm adding to yours. Read the content of the comment
>>
>>7702565

im drunk.... everyone is arguing with me!!

also:

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>7702572
IT WOULD'VE BEEN, COULD'VE BEEN, WORSE THAN YOU WOULD EVER KNOW.
>>
>>7702572
Lol. No problem. His argument has fallen. He has gone
>>
>>7702576

>triggered

no joke. i lived one street over from isaac brock in portland for about a year and a half right around the time of that album.... i can't even say how many times i've heard that fucking song lol
>>
We were scavengers, not exclusive. But cmon. We're an adaptive creature. It's our best trait. We exploit every chance we get. Of course we hunted. Chimpanzees go on hunts. But scavenging is so much easier. Just follow the cheetah, lions, wild dogs, leopards whatever. They'll do it for us
>>
>>7702582
I wonder what's going to happen after their next album releases.

Isaac seems like he's getting tired. Tired of touring at the very least.
>>
>>7702594

based solely on a few interactions with him, and those my friends had, i think he is just genuinely super introverted and doesnt like interacting with tons of people. im surprised that he has kept making albums and touring this long honestly...

im sure he was/is enjoying making some money and having a little more mainstream success, but that can only last so long.

i see him going cracking and going hermit at some point in the near future
>>
File: SpaceMonkey1.jpg (106 KB, 612x639) Image search: [Google]
SpaceMonkey1.jpg
106 KB, 612x639
>>7701252
>Some RNA buried in some clay gets lucky a few times.
>Life forms result and spread throughout the sea.
Global Extinction Event kills nearly everything.
>Survivors keep passing on survival mechanisms via DNA.
>Life forms get a bit more complicated, more varied, and resilient. Various plant life dominates on land.
>Life forms get larger and more complex, start crawling up on land.
>Life forms get really fucking huge, spread everywhere, dominate both land and sea.
>FUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuu....
>Develop empathy to better care for their young.
>Develop hierarchy and social mammals to better protect their tribes and acquire resources more easily.
>One species combines these with language, and can now pass survival mechanisms through something more reliable and less random than DNA.
>Develops writing, to better preserve and decimate that information, making it even more reliable.
>Develops artificial communication, to quickly make this information available throughout the species anywhere in the world.
>Fuck you, we in space now.
>>
Are Neanderthals the real Europeans? It seems that Neanderthals were more European in their design, since Europe isn't a flat open savannah they weren't built for speed and agility but were built to be hardy and strong unlike white people who are designed pretty much identical to Africans
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.